PDA

View Full Version : Building services job offer. Do I, Dont I?

Muggsy
18-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Hi all,

I've been in a little bit of a rut with my current employers for a while now and I dont seem to be progressing any further the way I would like. Im still young and feel I have more to offer. The problem is that we dont get a great deal of calls which is in its own way is good because it shows our maintenance pays off. On the other hand it can be frustrating from an engineers point of view because all I end up doing instead is maintenance. Dont get me wrong maintenance is very important to refrigeration and A/C plant but not most of the month!
I had a chat with a company that are expanding there refrig and A/C section and they offered me a job. Only thing is is that they are a building services company. Is it a good move leaving a dedicated A/C company to go to a building services company? Anybody on here made the switch? Any advise/info welcome.

Clk320_Greg
18-06-2009, 08:59 PM
I did it with the promise of being given loads of AC work.

Ended up spending 6 months of my life changeing lightbulbs in Lloyds pharmacys.

Hated it.

Back in AC now!

lowcool
19-06-2009, 07:09 AM
hope thats not your company workbus as an avatar

Muggsy
19-06-2009, 09:32 PM
hope thats not your company workbus as an avatar

Yep it is indeed!

superswill
19-06-2009, 10:41 PM
i made the switch a year and a half ago from a distributor to a FM company,best thing i ever did,iam the only AC guy in our branch so getting loads of work and in the quite times iam doing all sorts of different work,pumps motors ect it really has given me a better knowledge of building services and a multi skilled engineer is better than a one trick pony in current times,to be fair my company never make me doing lights bulbs ect ect our trade is so varied why not pick up little bits of others

julius Geezer
21-06-2009, 01:37 AM
Well Said...!

CJG21
24-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Theres nothing wrong with branching out and learning new skills. If it doesnt work out you still have the AC to fall back on

Kh1971
24-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi,

Chick it from your side, make it as mirror and show it to your self and compare every things , you are there you know better than any body else

if you to do it, do it on your own , do not loooook for somebody to turn the light and then switch it of suddenly in the med way , keep your light one and drive your self

Regards

Muggsy
25-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks for all the replies!!

I've decided to take the job. Im looking forward to the new challenge, and with over 200 sites with refrigeration plant on im sure it's going to keep me busy which is the way I like it.

Cheers all.

lowcool
26-06-2009, 07:22 AM
gday muggsy glad to hear,you might have to change that avatar now.

mikebry
11-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Hi

I work for a Building Services company, working on Refrig A/C even some ducting, I find it OK, I work Zoos-Hospitals-Offices-factories-Private houses etc and hven't changed a light bulb yet.

jonjon
14-08-2009, 10:35 PM
i work for carillion doing there a/c and fridge plants its loads better then any a/c company ive worked for.... its good because they want to train me in plumbing and electrics so i can b a jack off all trades!

Frikkie
14-08-2009, 10:55 PM
I think it's good to get new skills and often in more recent times the only way to go up in your carreer is to make some sideways steps. Good luck with your new job, I hope it works out for you.

kev99
25-08-2009, 02:56 PM
at present i work for a building maintenance company,my 3rd. each has got progresivley worse and less organised...

they might give it the big'un, but they dont know where to start. i think you should of stayed at a proper ac company in my opinion. good luck all the same, let us know how you get on