PDA

View Full Version : Amana refrigerator/ice maker problem

SCStewart
23-05-2001, 02:51 PM
Hello,
I have a 3 1/2 year old Amana refrigerator, with the freezer and ice maker on the bottom. About a week ago, the ice maker stopped making ice for a day or so, but did resume. Two days ago it stopped making ice and has not started. At the advice of a friend, I unloaded the freezer and transfered the perishables to an upright freezer in my garage. I have shut the freezer off, thinking that the icemaker may be frozen, since it is not used on an everyday basis. Does this make sense? How can I troubleshoot the problem? Is there a ballpark price range for replacement icemakers? are there repair/rebuild kits for icemakers? I wouldn't think that given the relatively young age of the refrigerator that the ice maker would be bad (?) Please help, and thanks....

Jack Lester
02-06-2001, 01:01 PM
it has been many years but... I think Amana still uses the Whirlpool made ice maker. It consits of a mold, a paddel to remove the ice, a motor to drive the paddel and a cam. The electrical part consists of mold, thermostate or sensor ( use to be thermo-disc), micro switches, 1 to hold the unit running 2nd to alow water to flow at a certain time and a mold heater. Sequence of operation: Thermostate senses mold is cold, activates motor to turn paddels and cam. As cam turns it depresses a micro switch to hold motor running. Motor cam and paddel turn, mold heater is also turned on. As mold warms the paddels scoup out the ice. Contunes to turn until a spot on the cam activates another micro switch to allow water in. Motor continues, as cam reaches a spot it releases the micro switch for water andthen the switch holding the motor on and unit shuts off ready to do it again.
I wouold imagine a lot of this is all electronic to day but the principle is the same. As with most domestic it usually is cheaper to go to your local appliance store and get a kit for that model and replace it unless you want to try to fix yourself. Hope this helps

SCStewart
02-06-2001, 07:50 PM
Jack,

Thanks for your reply..the problem turned out to be the water inlet valve...icemaker water line hooks to valve...valve is electrically triggered when the ice maker dumps to release water...shuts off when the unit refills..

I had it fixed by a gentleman who "knew his stuff" he does warranty work for all the major manufacturers....he told me that he has seen a lot of valves go bad within the one year warranty period....it is sad that things are put together so poorly these days...

Thanks for your input/help..
Steve

INDIAN HEAD
20-07-2007, 01:06 PM
I find 90% of all ice makers problems are water related. Too little and the fill line can freeze too much and ice won't form correctly or not at all. The action described eairler with the micro switches was good but is now done with a rotory plate with fingers that make contact with a circular strip (like the old washing machine timers) to cycle the components

sinoceanchina
16-07-2010, 04:03 AM
Dear sir,

If you have any idea in changing your ice maker, please feel free to contact me at lisa.zhu@sinocean.com.cn;

lisa, an ice machine sales girl from China.

Jetasia
16-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Hello,
I have a 3 1/2 year old Amana refrigerator, with the freezer and ice maker on the bottom. About a week ago, the ice maker stopped making ice for a day or so, but did resume. Two days ago it stopped making ice and has not started. At the advice of a friend, I unloaded the freezer and transfered the perishables to an upright freezer in my garage. I have shut the freezer off, thinking that the icemaker may be frozen, since it is not used on an everyday basis. Does this make sense? How can I troubleshoot the problem? Is there a ballpark price range for replacement icemakers? are there repair/rebuild kits for icemakers? I wouldn't think that given the relatively young age of the refrigerator that the ice maker would be bad (?) Please help, and thanks....
Fill ice maker with tap water and let freeze. If ice dumps and water does not refill tray then the water control valve is defective. If ice remains in ice maker then ice maker is the problem.

fridge-man
08-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Hi SC, 1st check the continuity of the icemaker harnes each wire theres about 4 if thats ok, get a piece of stiff wire about 6" long, stripe about 30mm from each end. then put each end into T & H on the icemaker the white wheel on the end should start to go round if not, its knackered, there about £75 to £85 from maytag i think,