PDA

View Full Version : Work in Australia

aus-bound
05-07-2004, 12:32 AM
Hi all, first post for me :eek:
We are thinking about living in Australia (Brisbane area) and i was wondering if any Ex-pats/Aus Fridgies could give me some pointers on work over there, is it easy to get, what sort of hours do you work, whats the pay like, would i need to get any other qualifications other than my CG level 2 and gas handling i already have?

Any general information that may be of help? :)

thanks

iceman007
05-07-2004, 11:40 PM
Hi

Depends on how many years experience you have. To work in Australia, you have to obtain a valid skills assessment from the TRA before you can be eligible to work and reside there. At the moment I believe the wait is quite long-the best part of a year for the skills assessment, plus another 12-18 months for the skilled visa application. And most important of all- you will need to satisfy the points test-not at the time you lodge the application, but at the time it is assessed. So it isn't as easy as one might think.

The pay is generally a little lower than in the UK. I believe the hours that some of the guys I've worked with do are around 7am start through till about 4pm. Then if you do get out there, you will still need to undertake further tests in Australia before you will be allowed to work. Like anything else there's pros and cons, and it depends to a large extent what motivates you to emigrate. As in most places theres always a need for good quality engineers. The best advice I could offer you is to be 110% sure before you take such a step.

Regards
James

Blueboy
06-07-2004, 07:50 AM
Look up in the members list a guy call Pagey. Go to "find" :D threads and read them I know for certain fact he has moved with his family to Brisbane and his threads were all about moving there.

aus-bound
06-07-2004, 09:05 AM
Hi

Depends on how many years experience you have. To work in Australia, you have to obtain a valid skills assessment from the TRA before you can be eligible to work and reside there. At the moment I believe the wait is quite long-the best part of a year for the skills assessment, plus another 12-18 months for the skilled visa application. And most important of all- you will need to satisfy the points test-not at the time you lodge the application, but at the time it is assessed. So it isn't as easy as one might think.

The pay is generally a little lower than in the UK. I believe the hours that some of the guys I've worked with do are around 7am start through till about 4pm. Then if you do get out there, you will still need to undertake further tests in Australia before you will be allowed to work. Like anything else there's pros and cons, and it depends to a large extent what motivates you to emigrate. As in most places theres always a need for good quality engineers. The best advice I could offer you is to be 110% sure before you take such a step.

Regards
James

Thanks for the reply, no problem at the moment with the points , we get 120 with just me on the application and if they do go up the wife has a degree so we could use that, aswell as invest the bond if required. (or take the new process and go to the back of beyond :eek: less points req').
From what ive read so far i would need to take the restricted elec' license and re-do the gas handling.

thanks again for the info, we will keep looking and waiting till next august when we are going there to visit friends/have a good look around ourselves :)

Jon

aus-bound
06-07-2004, 09:06 AM
Look up in the members list a guy call Pagey. Go to "find" :D threads and read them I know for certain fact he has moved with his family to Brisbane and his threads were all about moving there.

thanks for that, i will search him out tonight :cool:

Jon

rbartlett
07-07-2004, 07:20 PM
got this unsolicited email from a fridge company in oz today..i applied and obtained a visa last year but turned it down (as have other fridgies I know in a simular situation..if you need help.......

cheers

richard

==============================================
Dear Mr Bartlett

Absolute Cool is an Australian owned family company situated in the Queensland, Australia, regional city of Toowoomba. Our major areas of operation are -

1. Sale and installation of domestic and commercial air conditioners primarily Daikin and Hitachi
2. Servicing of all air conditioners
3. Repairs to commercial refrigeration products

The company has operated since 1996 and is owned by David and Jo Capp, and employs 8 tradesmen and 4 office staff.

We are looking to employ a further 2 tradesmen, and due to a major shortage of qualified tradesmen Australia wide we are endeavouring to source appropriately qualified tradesmen from overseas to fill these positions. The Australia Immigration has advised that your application to come to Australia has been approved, and therefore you are in a position to accept a position in Australia.

With this in mind I would ask that you respond to this email as soon as possible, and could you reply to the following queries -

1 . Your interest in relocating to Australia
2 . Are you interested in relocating to a regional city and if so, do you have any concerns re housing schools etc
3 . Is there an Australian diplomatic office near you - it is possible to use their facilities to communicate with you and assist with immigration.

The Company is keen is source applicants as soon as possible and if there are any questions you would like to ask please do.

Regards,
Sue Fraser
Absolute Cool

aus-bound
07-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Hi Richard. Do you mind saying why yourself and others you know decided not to go? We are still only at the looking into stage and any info relevant would be welcome.

Thanks for posting the email, at least i know if we do decide to go for it there are jobs around.

Jon

FreezerGeezer
08-07-2004, 08:23 AM
Toowoomba, hey? I know it increasingly well, as we have a unit there. My other half is from the Gold Coast, and has made it clear that she wants us to move back some day, so we've begun to invest & prepare. For those of you who knew the Pretoria suburbs in the 80's, you'd feel right at home in Toowoomba. :D
I get the impression that finding work isn't a problem - there's lots of small-ish companies who'll give you a go. I was reccomended to try & do the electrical tests, etc, over here if possible, so that I could start straight away. Apparently in NSW it's not yet a legal requirement to have your electrical & refrigerant certificates, but most companies want you to have them, and the industry seems to be moving towards it being a legal requirement.
On the subject of points, one of my collegues moved to Perth. His brother was living there, but it still took 19 months for him to get his visa. The points allow you to apply for a visa, but having enough points does not entitle you to one.
Finally, I reccomend using one of the immigration consultants - I know people who are using Go Matilda, and seem happy with the service. Whatever one you use, however, it will make the whole process MUCH easier.
Has anyone heard from Pagey since he went out? :(

aus-bound
08-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the info. I didnt realise you could do the electrical test over here? Do you know if my current ACRIB CFC handling here would be ok or would i need to take there test? and again can you do that over here :) ?
We realise that just having enough points doesnt get us straight in, as it has took some friends of ours 18 months to get there (they are off there in 7 weeks)
Having just had to do 2 passport forms and 2 uk photo driving license applications we will definatley be using an immigration consultant :)

Jon

rbartlett
08-07-2004, 05:00 PM
useful sites include-

http://www.jobsearch.gov.au/
http://www.workplace.gov.au/Workplace/WPDisplay/0,1280,a0%253D0%2526a1%253D517%2526a2%253D529,00.html
http://www.peer.com.au/courses.htm
http://www.nationalsecurity.gov.au/
http://www.domain.com.au/
http://www.whereis.com.au/whereis/home.jsp
http://www.aussie-info.com/
http://www.homepriceguide.com.au/products/street/
http://www.hays.com.au/main/index.asp
http://www.australia.gov.au/
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=bhp&t=res

for those thinking of going-
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=54
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=32

and for those who couldn't wait to get back!!-
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=61

either way these forums are fantastic for would be emigrees sign up and use the search function etc..a few hours there and the need for an agent declines significantly

however alan at 'go' is a well recommended agent (and not the one we used )and v.active on the britishexpats site btw

the reason(s) we didn't go were many but include

the death of my father (brings home what family means...)
house prices rose in au to a point way beyond sensible
very low wages (apart from 750 valve everyone else seems to think 50k au is about right...)
long hours (the ozzies work an average week longer than ours!)
not quite the 'lifestyle i had in mind for sure!!!!!!!

it's interesting that a very very hot country has a very very big skill shortage for fridge guys' -doesn't it make you wonder why???????????

the cost of living is pretty much the same there as here (yes it is believe it or not!!)

http://www.woolworths.com.au/

-so combined with their lower wage lifestyle takes a battering

an ozzie fridge guy working here from perth told me recently

"sure you have the pool and beach,beach and pool, -that's because that's all you can bloody well afford!!"

there is a myth that we brits have got caught up in the 'she'll be alright mate' crocodile dundee surf's up paradise etc etc...i

t's not all sunshine, shrimp on the barbee and beach
(yes i know you'll say 'no not me -i'm realistic...'we all did/do)

however the ozzies go very quiet when mentions of hoons, racism,poverty,unemployment, etc etc as it's part of their culture to play down those bits of australia that doesn't match the 'gods own country' image

it's part of our culture to highlight the bad bits and downplay the good bits so we get a distorted view when comparing UK 'v' AU
(esp with those stupid TV emigrating programes making it worse...)

I'm not knocking au in anyway shape or form and the few ozzies i know etc are nice people etc and would happliy have a beer bought for me by any of them (unless it's fosters of course!!)

we used an agent and if i had found the britishexpats (above) site before i wouldn't have bothered

the hardest part is the TRA suss this and the rest will fall easily into place. (I have sent a copy of my TRA to a few fridgies in the UK for them to get an idea of what's needed...i should charge!!)

you will need a medical plus x-ray for all going
police checks

the rest is pretty much easly (esp as fridgies are being fast tracked as they are on the modl list)

once there you will need to have your skills re-assessed (the TRA isn't sufficent)
safe handling will need to be redone as will a electricians cert (note they will only allow fully qualified sparks to touch ANYTHING upstream of the isolator)

this process will take around 4 months

as far as i know you cannot take any tests in the UK to speed this up as every state has different regulations

anyway as you can probably tell the rose tinted glasses have fell off some time ago and whilst it's (possibly) not for us i wish you good luck and a fantastic life

btw-
it's interesting that we have at least 4 active ozzies here but not one has posted on this thread...

cheers

richard

aj
08-07-2004, 06:13 PM
i must admit i was thinking of a move. you do get swayed with the crocodile dundee image. the weather the sea the beer and stuff. but in reality i would rather be home skint with my family than skint thousands of miles away. :(

rbartlett
08-07-2004, 06:45 PM
[I get the impression that finding work isn't a problem - there's lots of small-ish companies who'll give you a go. I was reccomended to try & do the electrical tests, etc, over here if possible, so that I could start straight away. Apparently in NSW it's not yet a legal requirement to have your electrical & refrigerant certificates, but most companies want you to have them, and the industry seems to be moving towards it being a legal requirement.

i believe being licenced is a legal requirement in NSW.

http://www.workplace.gov.au/WP/CDA/Files/WP/WR/att_elect.pdf

A a/c friend in newcasltle NSW is prevented from working on elcetrical supply as he has only a restricted electrical licence

cheers

richard

aus-bound
08-07-2004, 07:15 PM
So how much do you want for a copy of your TRA then? ;)

chemi-cool
08-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Good one Richard.

You have convinced me.

Its the unknown dream that attract people. Look at the pioneers who took over USA. All they had was a dream!

You've got to have a dream. Mine is different.

Chemi

rbartlett
09-07-2004, 07:13 AM
So how much do you want for a copy of your TRA then? ;)

an email address is sufficient

cheers

richard

p.s -still no ozzie input...I wonder why???????????

aus-bound
09-07-2004, 10:23 AM
p.s -still no ozzie input...I wonder why???????????

All in the pub or on the beach :D or maybe as you say still out at work to pay the mortgage :(

pm sent with email address in :)

Jon

baker
11-07-2004, 04:49 AM
Richard has hit the nail spot on. The affordability of housing is about half of what it was a few years ago.

Australia has picked up the US habit of proudly displaying all that is good while hiding the bad.

Australia has a unique lifestyle, but is rapidly trying to adopt the US way of things - mostly for the worst.

If you need to escape from where you are, Australia may be a good choice. However, if you have family and an acceptable lifestyle, I would stay put.

750 Valve
11-07-2004, 09:34 AM
Pretty much right on... Been away working to pay for that house, car and 2 and 1/2 kids :p
Well the house and the car anyway, and hopefully there's no kiddies out there I don't know of :D
Gotta watch the footy on TV soon, its my ony weekend home in about a month and a half!! Will return your email aus bound after a few beers and a shout at the new plasma TV.
Theres your oz input, beer and footy (rugby league that is, none of that aerial ping pong aussie rules) gotta go now.

rbartlett
11-07-2004, 09:58 AM
this old chestnut has raised itself again ;-)

as you're the man in the know...(so to speak)

please post the current situation re:

jobs
wages
hours
conditions
cost of living (house prices,food, medical insurance, petrol prices)
why rugby league is a rubbish game..
etc etc

cheers

richard

Peter_1
11-07-2004, 10:53 AM
I'm also interested Valve 750.

rbartlett
11-07-2004, 11:00 AM
peter

you not thought about the UK?

cheers

richard

750 Valve
11-07-2004, 01:26 PM
You can all look at the cost of living for your self, visit a real estate web site in oz for god's sake!! Same for food, look up Coles or Woolworths supermarkets on line site and fill up your baskets with your own individual taste so then you can SEE FOR YOURSELF if you could afford it. Look up MBF or Medibank Private to see the cost of private health insurance.
To solve the wage issue I can only speak from experience, I'll find my company's enterprise bargaining agreement on the net and post a link, thats all I can do. It will take some time to find tho.
BUT, as for why rugby league's the best game... its not, its just better than aussie rules and more exciting than soccer, err footba- nah can't even write it let alone say it, Rugby League IS football. But Baseball's my game.

750 Valve
11-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Got it, crikey its a long URL.
http://www.wagenet.gov.au/WageNet/Search/view.asp?docid=241532&query=(FRIGRITE%20NSW)&page=4&quickview=Y
Hope that works

Mark
11-07-2004, 01:46 PM
Hi,750 valve :)

Good to see you online again :) what have you been up to install work??.

Best regards

Mark

750 Valve
11-07-2004, 01:58 PM
So richard, I haven't yet been the slightest bit interested, I know quite a few do, can't see why tho, but I'd really enjoy it if you could could give me some insight into the wonderful economic masterpiece that is the UK and how much it would cost me to get treatment if I caught a rash off a pale skinned, rotten toothed pomme sheila from bristol who could suck like a hoover. :eek:
But nah seriously, whats so dear about oz besides the plane trip out here. I was seeing a girl who used to live in england and she reckons its 6 of one, half a dozen of the other as far as the costs of living, it was the lifestyle she missed in Oz. Never been to the UK so I can't speak from experience but **** it looks bleak in the photos, the streets are always wet! Send us some of that rain, all of our dams are WAY low, the whole country's in water conservation mode and its the middle of winter, used to rain all winter here, not any more... Bloody El Nino and the hole in the ozone layer (go r12)
You could be right richard, they could start stinging us bigtime for water usage, then the cost of living WILL go up.

750 Valve
11-07-2004, 02:03 PM
G'day mark, its good to have a weekend at home, been commissioning two refurbs and a new store, all country work - living away from home. One's all old skool controls LP/HP timers etc, the others electronic control, one danfoss, the other CPC

rbartlett
11-07-2004, 02:36 PM
$ 923.40
plus bits

you've gotta go some to crack that 100k barrier..!!!!

cheers

richard

750 Valve
11-07-2004, 03:37 PM
You afraid thats all you'd be able to get? ;)
Don't think you could crack a ton eh? well, if your good at what you do then you $923 is peanuts. We gotta set a minimum so all these pommes that want a slice of the good life have to work for crud while the boys worth their weight kick back on the good dollars, you'd be a stupid business to advertise top dollar, they only advertise bottom dollar cause they have to, I imagine all the other companies in oz do to, if you all were smart you might look some up instead of giving me **** and wasting my time.
Wheres MY info? how much do YOU get? How much will my rash cost to treat in liverpool hospital? Can I bludge off YOUR govt for nothing? Can I get away with my current fridge license? Does the dunny water spin clockwise or anticlockwise?
Do you have ****roaches? Is it customary to not wash in England? Why is dental hygeine so bad over there? Stuff you fellas, these are the things I want to know, do I have to start a new thread... "Work in the motherland" !!!

rbartlett
11-07-2004, 04:21 PM
so there you go aus-bound a nice friendly ozzie willing to help you in your quest..

enjoy 'paradise'.................

cheers

richard

Peter_1
11-07-2004, 07:24 PM
You can all look at the cost of living for your self, visit a real estate web site in oz for god's sake!!.. .

In other worths, DIY. :(
Well, try as an exercise to find all these figures for Belgium. If you don't know the correct URL's, you will never find it.
If you haven't a clue about the huge differences for houses in the different regions, then it's impassible to compare.
You can find terrain from 50 € till 750 /m²and even more !!

I think you had a bad day or those must be the symptoms of lack of water.

Abe
11-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Maybe he had a " bad" day, but I havent laughed so much as I did reading this thread!!!

rbartlett
11-07-2004, 09:23 PM
yes i know

and all that from a bloke who likes watching men play girly rounders

cheers

richard

Abe
11-07-2004, 09:58 PM
Now Peter1, Could you handle Aussie culture, each and every day????

Come to UK...........England rather...........We need u here!!!

Peter_1
11-07-2004, 10:07 PM
peter

you not thought about the UK?

cheers

richard

Yes and no, but - I think Richard - I sended you in the past a PM about this.

Peter_1
11-07-2004, 10:11 PM
Now Peter1, Could you handle Aussie culture, each and every day????

Come to UK...........England rather...........We need u here!!!

If they all should be this way and every day.....?? No, not at all.

But I know, we all have from time to time a bad day, altough...if I see the avatar of valve750, he doesn't seem to have a lot of problems. He's now already for months (years??) with his nose in the bushes :p

PS: My wife and my youngest will spend next week or the week after some days in London. We need some rest after weeks of very hard working.

aus-bound
11-07-2004, 10:27 PM
Hi everyone, thought i had logged onto fridgeman.com for a moment there :eek:
First off i'd like to thank Richard for the TRA skills application he sent me, also like to thank Chris (750valve) for replying to an email i sent him, some very usefull info there mate :) thanks. And also if he comes back on here a bloke called Stuart who i emailed, also some good info returned.

After looking around quite a few OZ websites from real estate to supermarkets to job sites, i must say i can't really see much difference between our 2 countries. I may/may not earn less per hour in OZ to start with depending how much my experience is taken into consideration, but if i have to start at the bottom again, so be it. I definatley would have a damn site better house over there than here, and also a smaller mortgage after selling mine here for the ridiculous price it is worth now (hope the market don't crash in the next 2 years :) ). General shopping don't seem any differant, some things dearer some cheaper. The weather? i'll not go there ;)

But at the end of the day untill we have been there next August to see what Australia is like for ourselves and seen how some friends of ours are doing we wont know for sure, all i know now is that it is definatley something i have to check out while i'm still young enough to do it :D

Jon

Abe
11-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Jon

U wont be dissapointed. Australia is a great country

andrewuk
11-07-2004, 11:15 PM
The grass is not alway's greener on the other side .And some times it is , i moved from zimbabwe to england and the differenses are in some cases night and day and others no different at all, i was lucky i have family and some friends here and that helped a lot knowing people here , three years later i am now settled and quite happy the weather no worries mate , sometimes i miss the space i had but that is only momentary.

For you guy's born and grown up here the media bombard you with death and destruction so things can look rosy some where esle ,but move there and be away from all your family and friends
and things can get very lonely.

yes this country has problems but so do all countries i have come from a real problem place i know and the problems don't look so bad here.

if you are an employee of a company you may end up on a decent salary but thats it ,why not go on your own and start your own bussiness and put all your skills to good use and put more pounds in your pocket ,then life here will start looking
sweet , no employee makes money but the boss man does , there is a shortage a skilled people in this and all developed coutries as every one wants to a manager or sales man or a IT
person , no one wants to be a fridge/ac man , plumber or sparky so take advantage .

ciao for now

andrew

aus-bound
11-07-2004, 11:21 PM
Jon

U wont be dissapointed. Australia is a great country

Cheers Aiyub :) i will find out next August :D

Abe
12-07-2004, 12:46 AM
Andrew

Fancy that...........A rhodie on this forum!!! Well if u must know.......or u fugured...Im also from that neck of the woods....Harare, Salisbury, what ever you prefer to call it.

And, yes.........Thank God we left that despotic place

But think about it.........If that Ebagum character never came to foul the place up........Would you have left??

I would not have.............Now Australia is Rhodesia...........But a rich powerful Rhodesia..........Like what Rhodesia would have been..........

As someone said..........yes its getting materialistic like the States..........Hey 750, ( hope u like your new plasma)

But then it would.............Australia got a melting pot........So culturally, yes its going to be a lot more diverse, and yes........u got to work hard........very hard............out there

You asked how much your stay in hospital would cost 750?? In britain if you went NHS...............nothing. You can catch all the clap you like...........will get treated for free

If u want to go private.........Well thats another story

Abe
12-07-2004, 12:51 AM
But most peoples motives for moving to Australia is this I think

Move away from conjested cities
More space
Oceans, countryside
Bigger houses and gardens
A climate which is amenable and encourages outdoor pursuits
Less rain, cloud and grey
Warmth

Ie; A better quality of life

I am not knocking UK..........UK has its own charms.....traditions, quirks......At end of day is an individuals choice where he feels comfortable

Australia also has the home away from home feeling........So jon..........Good luck to you mate!!! Australias gain will be our loss, hope the Aussies appreciate it.

rbartlett
12-07-2004, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE=Aiyub]But most peoples motives for moving to Australia is this I think

Move away from conjested cities

yes if you want vast desert...don't forget 90% of au is uninhabitable which is why 90% cram themselves around the coastal reigon...

so it's not that much less 'crowded' these days

so you could compare downtown sydney in the rushhour with sleepy painswick in gloucester and get the inverse picture (and no less false either)

More space

yes if you want vast desert...see above..

Oceans,

we have oceans ....not quite as warm but not quite as many sharks jellyfish snakes etc..

countryside

what compared to england green and pleasant land..?? oh and no snakes spiders crocs here either...

Bigger houses and gardens

if you want to live in a bungalow like your granny...
but much less so since the latest housing boom..most available plots have halved in size since 2000...

A climate which is amenable and encourages outdoor pursuits

not necessarily..a lot of au is far too hot/humid to 'enjoy' in peak summer slows down outdoor pursuits somewhat....but generally yes for sure..

(interestingly after 20 yrs in this business I notice far far more moaning about the heat than the cold in the UK..)

Less rain, cloud and grey

don't move to melbourne then....

Warmth

agreed...but too much of a good thing maybe?????

Ie; A better quality of life

questionable for sure..

I am not knocking UK..........

as you shouldn't....

UK has its own charms.....traditions, quirks......At end of day is an individuals choice where he feels comfortable

agreed....but it's easy to miss what's in front of you...

Australia also has the home away from home feeling........So jon..........Good luck to you mate!!!

absolutely..

Australias gain will be our loss,

indeed..

hope the Aussies appreciate it.

i doubt it.....

cheers

richard

p.s I got another unsolicited email today from au -the locals possibly not up to the job perchance?????????

..................................................................................

Dear Mr bartlett

There are a number of companies in Australia that are currently seeking to recruit individuals from offshore for permanent and temporary placements in the engineering and resources sector.

If you would like to make contact with these companies, please refer to our website at http://visas.cciwa.com/index.aspx and go to the section titled “How can we help you” and “Looking for a job in Australia”.

If you do not wish to receive further information from the Chamber of Commerce and Industry WA please reply to this email address with the word “unsubscribe” in the subject line.

Kind regards

Daniel Engles

Manager, Business Visa Services

Chamber of Commerce And Industry WA

H http://visas.cciwa.com

* visas@cciwa.com

( +61 8 9365 7555

È +(0) 413024966

Ê +61 8 9365 7550

Registered Migration Agent No. 0213485. The Australian Government requires that people who give immigration assistance be registered as a Migration Agent.

frank
12-07-2004, 08:40 PM
no employee makes money but the boss man does ,

I'd like to see the proof. I've only been in business for the last 20 years and I'm still waiting for the money to roll in.

When you start out on your own you don't realise just what is involved - yes, we all earn money to pay the wages but it's all the unpaid overtime doing the governments work that gets you down, together with the quotations, typing, book-keeping, etc, etc. just get your calculator out and work out how much extra you come out with each month when you swap over from 20% tax to 40% tax - figures never lie.

It's OK dreaming about what the bosses make but the reality just does not live up to it. :(

chemi-cool
12-07-2004, 09:18 PM
Hi Richard.

Its 38C out all day, only cools down at night.

Would love to change seat with you till September. :rolleyes:

Good quality about people is learn to appreciate what you've got. Very rare all these stories come true.

The thing about it, is that we only hear the success stories

What about all the loosers?

Chemi

rbartlett
12-07-2004, 09:55 PM
hi chemi

you are always welcome to come over here;-)

yes it's funny we complain about the wind rain snow for 9 months of the year but the real moaning starts at 24 deg's c

cheers

richard

Abe
12-07-2004, 10:15 PM
Frank

Im doing my accounts right now..........U know what??? For the hours I put in.........for the crap I take, For all the stresss

No..........Being your own bosss??? Naaahhhhhhhhh

Go work 9 to 5............Wear a suit, have business lunches.......go for motivational outings. Travel business class
Have expense accounts

And now u see ads on telly..........Had a fall........Not your fault?? Call free.........Accident Claim Helpline...........Miss X got 5000 pounds...........Yess Mr Y got 15000 Pounds

Everytime Im working..........I have to think.........Is there a serial Mr Bean about???

andrewuk
12-07-2004, 10:55 PM
yup another zimbo is here pluging away earning a few pennies,
I was also in Harare i was with Capri corp . on the airconditioning side selling LG airconditioner's .

if they hadn't messed thing's up well no i probably wouldn't be here . i was getting on alright their nice house, car ,etc . started getting a little bussiness going Then realized queing for petrol all day instead of working is not good for bussiness and didn't work so good .
now i am here it's shock to the system with so many people squashed on to an island but on the whole its all good.

i should have come over a few years earlier when the houses where cheaper ,that is the main problem here a half decent house in good area costs a fortune ,anyway thats the incentive to get on with things .

anyway lifes a journy enjoy the ride .

as for ausy my sister moved there to the gold cost ,has some mates there from zim and loves it. where ever you go it helps so mutch haveing some one you know .

ciao

andrew

Karl Hofmann
13-07-2004, 07:49 AM
I'm with you Abe, too many idiots about looking to claim on my insurances, so I'll never employ anyone. Being a one man and his dog band works for me, perhaps I have a bad attitude, but as soon as my van pulls up on my drive, the phone gets switched off. If it is urgent now, it will still be urgent at 8am.

The record for stupid times so far was 11.30pm a call for me to look at the ac on a 1980s Jag, when I gave him the quote the next day the quote was for more than the car was worth!

Being self employed means that you can pick the jobs that you do, chose the vehicle that you arrive in and finish work at a time of your choosing. I dont want to be rich, comfortable does me nicely, there are plenty of tradesmen who run round like a headless chicken and get nowhere, just step back and look at where you are going. I used to get stressed about my paperwork and VAT, but have found a really good accountant that doesn't charge the earth.

Austrailia?? No thanks its full of stressed grumpy Austrailians and other things that want to bite us :D

chemi-cool
13-07-2004, 06:25 PM
Being a one man and his dog band works for me
Hi Karl,

I like that. Just like me. :)

Chemi

rbartlett
13-07-2004, 08:29 PM
why, that's barely little more than a snack to some of our far eastern chums ;-)

cheers

richard

Abe
13-07-2004, 10:36 PM
This is a true story..........Happened some years back mind you.........some of you may remember

A rich American couple were in the Far East......( This is in days when American did travel !!! )

They went to a plush Hong Kong restaurant and motioned to the waiter with hand signs, that they wanted their pet poodle fed and watered!!

Waiter takes the little mite away, only to return some time later with a huge...........u know those big round stainless steel things with a lid on.

Well, they open it up.........and lo behold........cooked to perfection is their poodle........

Women faints...........They leave on next flight out.........

aus-bound
14-07-2004, 08:53 AM
This is a true story..........Happened some years back mind you.........some of you may remember

A rich American couple were in the Far East......( This is in days when American did travel !!! )

They went to a plush Hong Kong restaurant and motioned to the waiter with hand signs, that they wanted their pet poodle fed and watered!!

Waiter takes the little mite away, only to return some time later with a huge...........u know those big round stainless steel things with a lid on.

Well, they open it up.........and lo behold........cooked to perfection is their poodle........

Women faints...........They leave on next flight out.........
lmao, although i suppose i shouldn't. at least it will have stopped the thing yapping all the time ;)

Jon

750 Valve
18-07-2004, 12:42 PM
:mad: Look Out! The Grumpy aussie's back, Yeah well I had a bad day, too much time working, sorry for the bitterness all.
Just got a bit sick of the same old stuff from the same old people. True it is harder to get info from the other side of the world but who would move that far without doing their homework? Would you believe an angry aussie with an avatar like mine? I know I wouldn't, I think I'd prefer check things out for myself, thats where I was coming from, sorry for the way in which I said it.

Abe
18-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Hey 750...........No worries mate, We know life cant be great with heat and dust and mites and creepy crawleys!!!!!

What u need is a good break in the UK.........imagine having a good nights sleep with cool fresh air wafting around u......and a sharp intake of crisp freshness each time you breathe in.

Also your skin will be nice and soft..........and pale........ :confused:

Fine music.........fine wine.........Lots of culture, history......museaums.............art. debate, cosmolitan.......

We got it all here.......

Then you can return to the baranness and suburbia of Aus.

Hope Im not putting u off Aus Bound.........Just thought Id remind u what u giving up!!!!

Lol

But nice to see u again 750...........and your avatar!!!! lol

chemi-cool
18-07-2004, 03:10 PM
Also its about time the guy on your avatar will raise his face even just for some fresh air. :D

Isn't it getting abit smelly down there? :D

Chemi :)

Abe
19-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Thats why we call them " That there from Down Under"

FreezerGeezer
26-07-2004, 08:16 AM
Getting back on track, ;) One of my mates works in Perth, having moved there about 18 months ago. Here's what he has to say on the subject:

to work in air con.
you need a limited elec. licence ( $600 all in) a refrig. lice $ 50,
your own tools except oxy set.
tools work wear are tax deductible.
it is pound for dollar roughly,
just that the range of products/ tools are very limited, think of the place being about 20 years behind.
hse can take a hike.

It's mostly the idea of no H&S that concerns me! :eek:

Peter_1
26-07-2004, 08:29 AM
It is pound for dollar roughly,
jIt's mostly the idea of no H&S that concerns me! :eek:
What do you mean with pound for dollar?
And what is H & S?

FreezerGeezer
26-07-2004, 05:11 PM
Rup means that the cost of living is about the same - i.e. it's no cheaper to live there.
H & S = Health & Safety. And that's why it worries me. I don't approve of putting people at risk just because you can't be bothered to apply some common sense and a little cash. As I do not like ladders, for e.g, I refuse to use an unsafe set of steps, extension ladder, or a fixed ladder that's in bad repair. I don't want to work for some w***** who tells me 'Just get on with it!' as I have in the past - my life is worth more that some maintenance contract!
Okay, I'll climb off my soapbox now. :D

aus-bound
27-07-2004, 09:07 AM
Getting back on track, ;) One of my mates works in Perth, having moved there about 18 months ago. Here's what he has to say on the subject:

to work in air con.
you need a limited elec. licence ( $600 all in) a refrig. lice $ 50,
your own tools except oxy set.
tools work wear are tax deductible.
it is pound for dollar roughly,
just that the range of products/ tools are very limited, think of the place being about 20 years behind.
hse can take a hike.

It's mostly the idea of no H&S that concerns me! :eek:

Hi, how is he finding it though? is he glad he made the move or does he wish he had stayed here? not that it would sway me ;)

FreezerGeezer
02-08-2004, 08:37 AM
Hi Aus-bound

Here's the conversation since my last post on this thread:

Rup:
the work over here, you will find your self crossing asbestos roof's, as for safety rails, I had to walk along a 6 " wide wall to get to the units. don't look down.
no isolators on the panels so live work is easy. ( that's good ).
had a crap day today, mcdirty mcair mcfilers at McDonalds their soap is even called mcsoap.
and a shot to bits trane scroll at Woolworth's, full of red backs in the trunking, and very dirty.

good and sunny, some ice on the car this morning.

Me:
Good grief!

How do you isolate the control panels when you want to change something? Find the main breaker at the other end of the building??? And what if you stick to the 415V?
It sounds to me like they need to get better maintenance going in these places. Is it the same as here, where we only do our own bit, or do you do everything including the air/water sides, ductwork, etc?

Rup:
isolators are on panels but not interlock as in u.k.
its jack of all trades here so you get what you get.
still so much choice but every thing is a bit second best after the uk
buts its ok

Rup:
you will need the aussie elec. lic, and refrige lice. its a paper work con.
the lices are only valid in the issuing sate, so you will have to take tests for each state at there tafe( collage) also the same goes for plumbers lic.

rbartlett
02-08-2004, 09:07 AM
did rup mention wages before/after tax(es) ?

cheers

richard

FreezerGeezer
02-08-2004, 12:57 PM
No, but the chap I talked to last time I was out reckoned that a good fridgie on the gold coast would make around $700 - $800 a week. O.K, but not brilliant.

Peter_1
02-08-2004, 01:06 PM
Is that before or after taxes?
Insurances then already all paid?
40 hours a week?

FreezerGeezer
02-08-2004, 02:32 PM
1. Before.
2. I have no idea. However, companies in Oz are legally obliged to pay a much larger pension (superannuation) contribution than is the case here.
3. I doubt it! :D :D :D

Peter_1
02-08-2004, 02:43 PM
800 $ before taxes and working more than 40 hours/week is indeed a low wage.

Here in Belgium, when they charge you taxes, there is also a certain amount for insurances (sickness, unemployment, hospital,..)

That's also one of the reasons I think why there is in Oz and NZ a shortage for skilled engineers.

rbartlett
02-08-2004, 03:22 PM
No, but the chap I talked to last time I was out reckoned that a good fridgie on the gold coast would make around $700 - $800 a week. O.K, but not brilliant.

i know we go round and round on this one but

i was offered a job as a supervisor at 21 bucks per hr in S.AU-this equates to 840 p/w or 43k p/yr

however i have been told here that 'a good fridgie in sydney' (mentioning no names ;-) earns in excess of 100k

go figure.....

fyi
this is the official au g.ment stance on it...

http://jobsearch.gov.au/JobOutlook/default.aspx?pageId=AscoDesc&ASCOCode=4312

cheers

richard

dogma
26-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Hi aus-bound,

I'll confirm what freezergeezer is saying. Redbacks are a pian in the ass. I killed 4 yesterday in my shed. lil bitey *******s. The problem now if you get bit by one is you'll have to wait 3-4hrs in the ER for assistance. I cut my finger the other day and they didn't even look to see how bad it was for just over 1hr.

Anyway back on topic. You mut be "code compliant" which differs in each state. You must also undertake a "regulations" exam on CFC's etc etc. Now if you want to Handle refrigerants you'll need to be ARTIC certified, couple hundred bucks/yr and if you wish to buy refrigerants then you need further ARCTIC certification and will cost bout 600 bucks.
My sugestion is Melbourne. Cost of living is higher but there is a larger variety of work, and much better pay than NSW or QLD. If your thinking WA then the mines are the way to go.

Anyway mate, good luck, its AUSTRALIA DAY, and I've got work in the morn. Slip one last brew in before bed.........mmmmmmmm and a pie.

get it up ya mate;) :D cheers:)

dogma
26-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Ahh crap. Didn't see the post date. your probably out here already. Hope all is well and your loving your new lifestyle.

Anyway good luck.

cya

fridg
10-02-2006, 07:16 AM
got this unsolicited email from a fridge company in oz today..i applied and obtained a visa last year but turned it down (as have other fridgies I know in a simular situation..if you need help.......

cheers

richard

Dear Mr Bartlett

Absolute Cool is an Australian owned family company situated in the Queensland, Australia, regional city of Toowoomba. Our major areas of operation are -

1. Sale and installation of domestic and commercial air conditioners primarily Daikin and Hitachi

The company has operated since 1996 and is owned by David and Jo Capp, and employs 8 tradesmen and 4 office staff.

We are looking to employ a further 2 tradesmen, and due to a major shortage of qualified tradesmen Australia wide we are endeavouring to source appropriately qualified tradesmen from overseas to fill these positions. The Australia Immigration has advised that your application to come to Australia has been approved, and therefore you are in a position to accept a position in Australia.

With this in mind I would ask that you respond to this email as soon as possible, and could you reply to the following queries -

2 . Are you interested in relocating to a regional city and if so, do you have any concerns re housing schools etc
3 . Is there an Australian diplomatic office near you - it is possible to use their facilities to communicate with you and assist with immigration.

The Company is keen is source applicants as soon as possible and if there are any questions you would like to ask please do.

Regards,
Sue Fraser

Absolute Cool
------------------------------------------------

If i was going to go to Toowoomba for ac work
the leaders in that town are
EZY CHILL

I am not brand bashing the co nor do i know the company well , but they do most of the ac work in this city.

Then follows Absolute Cool.

As for wages you can earn $800 aus
for 2 hrs work on an ac install

But at the same time this is the lower end of the bracket.

Lancer
11-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Hey AustBound,
Hi how things?..... had to take Richards prompting to give a little Aussie input:p
There is a few things out here that may take a little adjusting too, the climate mainly, I live on the coast of Central Queensland (Yeppoon) and the avg temp only falls below 24 deg C for 1 week of the year, thats winter:eek: On average Australians have installed 1 million Air con's per year for the last 4 years, things are starting to warm-up down here. You can wait up to 6 weeks to get a split installed locally, for a head over condenser (4mtr pipe run) you can pay from $650-$800, for anything out of the ordinary it will cost a $1000 for the install. As for ducted systems average house will cost you $7000. At the moment in OZ there is a coal mining bonanza, (China stopped exporting coal, price jumped from $30/ton to 130/ton over night) that's where all the Tradies are heading... you can earn 100k plus just driving a dump truck.
So there is a heap of opportunity in either refrigeration or other area's
Despite all the negative press you see these day's,there is still a pervading "she'll be right mate" attitude in OZ and on the whole "most Australians" are very tolerant people who enjoy sharing experiences with other over a few coldies;) .
Would love to have one with ya
Lance

DALO
12-02-2006, 12:35 AM
JON FROM SOUTH YORKSHIRE YOU MUST READ THIS BEFORE SETTING OFF!!!

I cant believe the codswallop that some people have wrote on this thread. If you want advice on moving then noone knows Australias draconian closed shop better than me.

First let me start with this. House prices have rocketed globally in the last 5 years. There probably more expensive, wage to mortgage repayments in Australia than anywhere. This is due to Australians being obsessed with residential property investments to compliment their superannuation upon retiremement.
So its a good job you have a house to sell in the UK.
So long as are your coming into the country with money you should be fine. Especially in Brisbane as you can take advantage of your sterling to dollar ratio.
But once youve spent your sterling you could be in for a shock. The wages for a tradesmen in sydney are 50k per year. Take home $700. Probably less in Queensland.
I have to work 6 days a week for take home pay of $1000. 70k per year.
I dont know anyone earning $100k a year ($1400) take home unless their in the supermarkets working 100 hrs a week or working for themselves.
It doesnt go far in Sydney once the mortgage is payed. So i hope your wife can work.

Now the licensing system here is very bizarre. I cleared immigration within 6 weeks as on the shortlist for trades Refrigeration Mechanics are alledgedly a skills shortage area. But noone told me that i couldnt work without a license until theyd taken the $2000 from me.
The only way to get a license initially in NSW was to apply for one from the Department of Fair Trading.
They will issue one so long as you have Australian trade papers or you have completed restricted electrical licensing and local CFC courses.
These take around a year to complete, IF YOU CAN GET ON THE COURSES. If you cant your up a certain creek without a particular instrument as its almost impossible to find work, sorry the going rate, unless you have one.
They claim its to protect Aussie standards but its really a hidden agenda, you were let in the country for cheap labour and thats all there is too it.
It doesnt stop there either, Arctic from Victoria now have a federal license overriding the previous state licenses, which doesnt recognise state licenses and only accepts qualifications so you may have trouble getting that.

However most tradesmen working for themselves, mainly Australians becasue they are allowed and your not can double their wages.
Also did you know that numerous professions have the same problem. Doctors, surgeons etc from worldwide are not allowed to practice until they have gone back to University and studied for a couple of years because their degree is not good enough for Australia.
Even hairdressers, teachers etc have the same problem.
I know a German architecht and his physio wife who both packed up and went home recently due to the same problems.
Its hilarious!!
I could go on and on with a wealth of info for you. If you need any help. PM me.

But ill leave you with this to think about.
If there is a skills shortage in any particular working area, be it nursing, A/C ,electrician, candlestick maker etc. Why is that?
Noone had any trouble attracting people to the klondike charges did they.

Lancer
13-02-2006, 11:37 AM
But ill leave you with this to think about.
If there is a skills shortage in any particular working area, be it nursing, A/C ,electrician, candlestick maker etc. Why is that?
Noone had any trouble attracting people to the klondike charges did they.

Hey Dalo, ease up mate,;) I am sure that my:
Refrigeration Mech Trade License,
CFC License,
Electrical Fitter/Mech Trade License,
Electrical Contractors License,
Instrumentation Fitter/Mech Trade License,
Associate Diploma in Electrical Eng,
Bachelor of Engineering Technology Degree, would not mean **** to me in England, how can I prove that I have the skill's unless I undertake some formal testing?....:confused:
The smell of Doctor Death still lingers in the nostrils of the poor buggers in Bundaberg Queensland, were a foreign Doctor has been blamed for the death and maiming of numerous patients. And he past the qualifying test, **** mustn't be that hard might give it a go, could use a job in some nice air conditioned hospital:eek:
Lance.

hybridjunction
13-02-2006, 01:53 PM
nice :)

rbartlett
13-02-2006, 05:05 PM
Hey Dalo, ease up mate,;) I am sure that my:
Refrigeration Mech Trade License,
CFC License,
Electrical Fitter/Mech Trade License,
Electrical Contractors License,
Instrumentation Fitter/Mech Trade License,
Associate Diploma in Electrical Eng,
Bachelor of Engineering Technology Degree, would not mean **** to me in England, how can I prove that I have the skill's unless I undertake some formal testing?....:confused:

Lance.

There is no test by required by law in the UK to be able to carry out work on any type of refrigerating machine.

Cheers

Richard

Abe
13-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Hey Dalo, ease up mate,;)
The smell of Doctor Death still lingers in the nostrils of the poor buggers in Bundaberg Queensland, were a foreign Doctor has been blamed for the death and maiming of numerous patients. And he past the qualifying test, **** mustn't be that hard might give it a go, could use a job in some nice air conditioned hospital:eek:
Lance.

One swallow does not make a summer. All should not be vilified because of the act of one rotten egg.

The standards must be just and proportional. According to what I read from Dalo's comments, The Australians have set up restrictive conditions which exclude the genuine qualified technician from entry into the proffession, bar as a spanner boy.

Its what we refer to here as a " closed shop"

fridg
14-02-2006, 06:43 AM
If you get a job with a company here , you might be lucky enough just to do a quick course in refrigerant handling , and you are on your way.

In the other hand as dalo has said , if you start up your own operation , the big killers are , insurance , contractors licence , and to be even able to buy refrigerant in the first place , you have to have
a reclaim unit , leak detector , and a vac pump
all registered with the goverment.

This could take a while to obtain this as there are still thousands of applications still to be procesed.

Abe
14-02-2006, 09:49 AM
If you compare EC Law with Australian law, you will find that over the " longer term" the Australian ecnonomy will suffer more.

The EC is fighting tooth and nail to remove most of the barriers which prevent both freedom of workers, and freedom of goods, to circulate within the EC.

At present we are experiencing shifting demographic patterns, which will in time settle down.

Net result, a strong European Community.

The Australian example inhibits growth and freedom. At some point it will stagnate and suffer from loss of fresh input.

As is always the case, many a law or regulation is designed around a more sinister intention, the only draw Oz has is weather, ( if you consider 42C good that is)

The finest weather if you want , you cannot beat is South African. Between 22 and 30 average during warmer months.

And we have just about any weather you desire in our own Europe.

So the moral is, All you guys thinking about migrating to Oz.............DONT

Save your application fees

Europe is where its all going to happen, and is happening

walden
14-02-2006, 10:44 AM
I cannot help feeling that the EU has some way to go before it reaches the land of milk and honey as anticipated by Aiyub. For example, there is a new regulation going through the European Parliament to give free access to service industries, as there is at the moment for companies supplying goods. If the new law is accepted it will mean that for instance, a plumber from Italy can carry out work in the UK and as long as it complies with Italian regulations, the end-user cannot complain. This new law would appear to apply to electricians, so forget about Part P!

So, set up a company in an EU country with little or no trade regulations: choose a name with an international sounding name and start trading. Only the EU could envisage setting up such a system!

Abe
14-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Walden

A law in UK , under EC, is same in any other member state.

One law appertains to all. So a Part P, here will be a Part P there.

Its all about harmonisation. Yes, it wont happen overnight.
But it will get there.

My point about Oz is this, yes, its a fantastic country and is attractive to a lot of people.

But the harsh and restrictive policies will preclude good people from going there.

Hence, the economy will lose out gaining potentially able , innovative, fresh blood recruits.

Countries like Spain and Portugal , which were once the backwaters, are now undergoing tremendous development and growth.

Figures quoted stated, approximately 30 000 migrants leave UK each month for Europe.

It sounds like a lot, can any member verify this?

Would be an intresting statistic

adam
14-02-2006, 11:42 AM
There is no test by required by law in the UK to be able to carry out work on any type of refrigerating machine.

Cheers

Richard

doesn't that worry you?

DALO
14-02-2006, 11:53 AM
In response to Lancer. Your the typical Aussie workmate i have who has no idea how their government or Vocational Training Board operate. Why would you??
Your not a colonial migrant seeking to work so rules never affect you.
My point is this i have HVAC Diploma from England, CFC city and Guilds, CFC modules from Ultimo Sydney TAFE and restricted Electrical license for NSW. It still took the government over 4 years to grant me a certificate of Proficiency in Refrigeration. Sure i could get a craft certificate the Blue cert which states that 'the suitant may pursue the art but has not been trained by a recognised training body' ie an Australian institution.
But as we all know the australians are granted the pink cert 'The suitant can pursue the art and requires no further training'.
Theres a hell of a difference when licenses are dished out.
Add to that i completed 3 years of Electrical training in Australia to become an Electrician. But i wouldnt class myself as an expert in that field. But im more likely to get a license than anybody from overseas who could doubtless kick my a**e from here to Victoria in terms of knowledge.
Thats a closed shop.
Get my point?????????????

Abe
14-02-2006, 05:54 PM
doesn't that worry you?

Adam,

In the UK, we dont have that zenophobic psychology, when it comes to placing barriers to work.

Our industry is a close one, we have our prefferred suppliers, who know us, who know our buying patterns.

The only cowboy element, you have is within the domestic market, and that is fast dissapearing.

The commercial guys know what there doing, and some of the best techs have never been to college, or would not know what a psychmetric chart looks like.

Do you honestly believe un untrained , unskilled fridge tech will last even one day in the field??

I doubt it. The people who are in it are there because they want to be.

We dont need Big Brother checking and issuing licenses.
Its called, Freedom of Choice

The Closed Shop is a method, designed by like minded individuals who work selfishly to exclude others from working on a equal partnership level, and competing with them.

It is a monopoly, oligopoly, individuals who twist the facts to make it look like they are protecting the interests of others, the environment, health and safety, the consumers, the country.

The only interests they seek to preserve are there own selfish interests.

And who polices this industry?
Who issues licences?

Members from the fridge fraternity who love their slice of the cake so much, those unwilling to share the spoils

In a nutshell, it is an Economic Apartheid system in operation

And , where there is no justice, no fairness, no parity,
It will fail, Not them, but their beloved country and or economy.

I say again, Look again at the Canadian system, They analyse your worth at the onset, and deem your fitness.

You are not inticed within their shores, to end your days forever stretching those redundant brain cells.

Good on you Dalo, for standing up and making a point.

:)

I am not against a system of checking a persons qualifications. Only, that system must be fair.

What Ive heard about Australia, it seems very, very unfair.

DALO
15-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Aiyub id agree with everything you have said in the last post. Taking my own personal hurdles out of the equation, because im now 'one of the boys' who can work, it still angers me that there are thousands of excellent tradesmen out here banging their head against a brick wall.
Its amazing how some people cant detect a hidden agenda.
I think the word to sum it up would be embargo.
Like you said what employer would honestly pay you your salary for more than a week even a day if you were a confounded moron. Surely your time in the industry itself is evidence of competency.
As for doesnt it worry you that there are no strict license checks in UK i would state this.

Every interview ive been for in England ive been asked profoundly what experience and what expertise i have and the guy quizzing me would be someone proficient himself. Thats enough i think. Why would u need external governing bodies making these decisions for you.

Now theres a lot of very good fridgys in Australia and theres some bad ones too, but it should be up to your employer to decide that, not some idiot in a government department who wouldnt know a Fluke from his A**E.

The lunatic in charge of the assylumn.

walden
15-02-2006, 08:46 AM
I don't believe that it is the money that draws people to Australia and New Zealand - it's the life style.

I have a friend who works in both OZ and NZ and comes over to the UK every other year or so. He was born in the UK and emigrated some 30 years ago.

No, the pay down-under is not markedly better: the cost of living is as high: some things are cheaper, others are not. But, the one thing he notices about the UK is the "heaviness" of life. In the UK he says life seems to be weighed down by history:traditions and regulations. He says that he saw it when he had been away for about 10 years and came back for the first time. Now he sees it more each time he comes over.

In OZ you just "get on with it": life may as expensive but it's more fun. The sun shines too. I can appreciate, that, it must be nice to go to work with the sun on your back!

(He also says the litter in UK cities gets worse.)

Deejey
15-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Hi Aus-Bound
There is plenty of work available in australia especially here in Tasmania where qualified frigies are in short supply.
First your Gas ticket. This is now regulated by the federal govt. thier website will give you the detailos regarding the qualifications required for your licence and the classifications. http://www.arctick.org
Have a look here at the classifications and requirements.
http://www.arctick.org/pdf/ARC_6ppApplicationForm.pdf

You will need to get in touch with one of the registered training organisations (RTO) such as the one I lecture at which is TAFE Tasmania where if you have served an indentured apprenticeship or have other qualifications, you can apply for recognition of prior learning (RPL). To get that we would need to look at all your certificates and results etc. You may also need to undertake a practical assessment. I currently am taking a qualified mechanic from Peru who is going through this procedure to get his Gas ticket.

Feel free to email me if you want any further infomation. I will whim you the email address.
We will shortly have the gas course (theory component) available on line for distance learning. so that you could actually complete the theory part before you arrive in Australia.
You should consider Tasmania where there is plenty of work available. If you do service work, kiss the 7 to 4 working day goodbye. Especially when you are on call.

hybridjunction
15-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Off topic a little here. I was speaking to a german in Australia on a worrk visa who is studying university. He was telling me that his wifes visa had expired so she was living for the next 12 mths in New Zealand waiting for her husband.

For her to stay in Australia she would need to apply for perminant residance which costs about 14 000 aussie dollar and she would need a full time job and house. Now he said this would not be a problem but the red tape involved is bound that tight that it would take almost 3 yrs to complete. Now if your application is not successful you loose the 14k.

This is just what I was told so I'm not sure how true that is.

Peter_1
15-02-2006, 08:30 PM
I say again, Look again at the Canadian system, They analyse your worth at the onset, and deem your fitness.

I searched a little bit about what you said about Canada but I couldn't find it Aiyub.

Abe
15-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Ill try and dig it up for you Peter, I know the centre where they do the checks is in Montreal

adam
20-02-2006, 05:03 AM
Adam,

Do you honestly believe un untrained , unskilled fridge tech will last even one day in the field??

I doubt it. The people who are in it are there because they want to be.

how do you judge who is unskilled if there is no assesment of skill? i agree with lot of the others have said, the australian system is pretty ridiculous. with all the different requirements in each state/territory it's more like eight seperate countries! but as someone who has a lot of passion for the trade(which i can tell you share with me) i believe if you travel to another country(not state or territory!) to work there should be a minimum level of skill required to work in the industry. after that it's up to the employer to decide if you have the skills for their particular sector of the industry.:)

tonto
20-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Just something to add on the pay situation in Australia, as Dalo as said it is quite true that the pay most commonly ranges for 50 to 70 k for tradesmen in the industry while supermarket mechs get alot more due to hours worked, overtime callout rates etc...
But to add if you want to work in the north west of australia for example port hedland, karratha, tom price, newman pay is in excess of 100k a year for a 55 hour week due to extra allowances that they pay. Conditions are harsh 45 degree days are quite common in summer while winter is 28 on average everyday, but once you get used to lifestyle and conditions it can be quite livable... You could also land a job on a mine site where everything is payed for and still be making 100k in excess a year and go back to the city on your one week off.... Any questions just ask

Abe
20-02-2006, 01:15 PM
how do you judge who is unskilled if there is no assesment of skill?

Adam

I am not against a system which encourages "checks"
This is both fundamental and necessary.

Just as an employer will check any potential employee, similarly a government has a right to check the worthiness of a migrant.

What I do maintain is that a "licensing scheme" should not be discriminatory, or protective.

Having a different set of licenses for each territory is likewise ludicrous.

Harmonisation is the much prefferred option in my book.

regards

Abe

aus-bound
28-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Nice to see my thread still causing some good debates :p
sadly i'm still in the UK at the moment waiting for a piece of paper to be signed by my wifes ex for the kids to come with us. But, we are coming over to Brisbane again at the end of July for 3 weeks, so if any one fancies a beer just let me know and will try to meet up :cool:

Jon

fridg
01-03-2006, 06:31 AM
No worries champ

I will be in Brisbane that month

aus-bound
01-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Hi mate, if your going to be anywhere near Wellington Point let me know :D

Jon

fridg
10-03-2006, 05:58 AM
40 min down the road from where i will be

you got mail.

dogma
25-03-2006, 04:39 AM
You could also land a job on a mine site where everything is payed for and still be making 100k in excess a year and go back to the city on your one week off.... Any questions just ask

Hi Tonto,

I've asked around a bit, mainly disel mechs that work in th Emerald mining area and also acland, they tell me they're doing the refrigeration work on the machines and most if not all of the refrigeration techs that come on site are contract trades men.

I would love to land a job in the coal mining industry but from what I've heard you have to land a job with a company who contracts to the sites.

If you know of a mine site in QLD where they are willing to take on a 2nd yr refrig mech I'll gladly pass on my details.

To Aus Bound. I'll just miss you mate I come home from Bris 19th March.;)

But still, May be able to get down for a beer.:)

aus-bound
26-03-2006, 09:53 PM
To Aus Bound. I'll just miss you mate I come home from Bris 19th March.;)

But still, May be able to get down for a beer.:)

Beer..... the international language :D

DALO
28-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Just to let any Pomes out there who are thinking of coming that this week saw the introduction of John Howards industrial reforms.
Whereby any company can dismiss you now without a reason and there is NO UNFAIR DISMISSAL TRIBUNAL anymore. Also you can be rehired the day after whilst taking a 20% pay cut. Add to that overtime rates will disappear
over the next few years and you have one skint tradesman.
I think they call it Employers Paradise.
If anyone would like to verify these claims click onto www.smh.com.au

adam
29-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Just to let any Pomes out there who are thinking of coming that this week saw the introduction of John Howards industrial reforms.
Whereby any company can dismiss you now without a reason and there is NO UNFAIR DISMISSAL TRIBUNAL anymore. Also you can be rehired the day after whilst taking a 20% pay cut. Add to that overtime rates will disappear
over the next few years and you have one skint tradesman.
I think they call it Employers Paradise.
If anyone would like to verify these claims click onto www.smh.com.au

fridgies are in such short supply here, so i don't think you'll find too many companies trying the old 20% paycut trick. as for overtime rates, i know of a couple of companies who pay all overtime as double time. i'm sure that's not in the award!

DALO
30-03-2006, 06:13 AM
we shall see!!!

dogma
31-03-2006, 02:57 PM
fridgies are in such short supply here, so i don't think you'll find too many companies trying the old 20% paycut trick. as for overtime rates, i know of a couple of companies who pay all overtime as double time. i'm sure that's not in the award!

Lets hope so Adam. Luckily the few of us...and you know where I work...are union members and we just had the EBA put in place. Lets hope it was finalised in time.:)

Yes yes aus_bound, beer. We REFRIGERATE our fine brews over here though:eek: . I mixed up the date too. I just arrived in Brisbane today. Start next block of Tafe on monday. Me work mate should be down here when your in town just West from where your staying. I head home on the 20th May but will be in town for a couple seminars around the time your here. Check out the Airah website, they may be of interest to you as well.:eek: :rolleyes: :) :D

aus-bound
18-04-2006, 04:48 PM
We REFRIGERATE our fine brews over here though:eek: .

Do you check the temperature of the beer the tried and tested way? :D :D Hmmmmmmmmmm beer !!!
Jon

dogma
19-04-2006, 07:37 AM
0.5 - 1.5 degrees C mate. How sweet it is.:)

RefrigerationMa
26-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Hey People,

Coming to Australia is really cool but beware of Human Resources and other company (get a percentage of your salary about 35 % of it). What I am trying to say, that they will pay you with the lowest wages since you will be on a working visa sponsor
The best will be a working holiday visa more pay salary
The other thing need to get X RAY AND MEDICAL TEST AND TRADE TEST THAT WILL TOOK UP TO 6 MONTHS
AND APPLY FOR GAS TICKET, RESTRICTED ELECTRICAL TICKET

TELL YOU THE TRUTH NOW

WORKING VISA FOR FOUR YRS

RENT -EXPENSIVE
FOOD-EXPENSIVE
LOWEST WAGES- 15/HR AS A CONTRACTOR
LONG HOURS AND PAY MORE TAX
DO NOT WORK FOR GREEK :mad:
NOT quite the 'lifestyle YOU think it will be
Now if you took dayS off the annual salary drop to 24000 Dollar , you do not get pay for public holiday :-(

PERMANENT VISA NOW
HIGH WAGES UP TO 35/HR BUT LONG HRS
TAX STILL EAT ALIVE

I AM STILL HERE AND GOT MY BUSINESS NOW AFTER A LONG NIGHTMARE OVER HERE

I just built a Web page at http://61.14.140.180/~refriger
it is still under construction, but the welcome page is really cool.

GOOD LUCK TO WHO WANT TO GET TO AUSTRALIA
I got my working visa within 1 months and I have been here for only 8 yrs

Bushman
27-04-2006, 08:02 AM
Hi All I am a South African living and working in Australia for the past 6 years, Tho I should of done more research before packing up and heading over here, Coming over from a THIRD WORLD country where health and safety was ok
here it is non existant

licences a pain in the butt and very expensive WHEN the courses are available tho u learn nothing new on these courses either just a money making REQUIREMENT

Wages around between $35000 to $55000 (and anyone who says u can earn more is bull****ting,) unless u want to work more than 38 hours a week, a few supermarket companies are now starting to work shifts 24hrs a day,
new industrial relations laws will soon have wages and conditions of employment reduced

Most managers here know everything about everything
they talk the talk well, tho walk the walk is another issue
anyone wanting to know more dont hesitate to PM me if i can be of any help

PS I did earn in excess of $100 000 a year tho the hours where very very very very long, I have worked for most of the supermarket companies since being here

Bushman
27-04-2006, 08:20 AM

mate where have u been, John Howard has just allowed companies to do as they wish and within next to no time overtime will be paid at normal rates EBA`s and awards are out the door, unions will be broken down and the pay cuts will be more in the region of 30-40%, One of the major supermarket refrigeration companies has allready made it clear that with the new labour laws they can employ labour from countries like the phillipines, china, taiwan etc etc etc etc and when that starts wages will drop as will conditions no doubt, Look at what happened in New Zealand in the 90`s, why do u think there are so many Kiwi`s here ??????? the new labour laws here are much more drastic than they where in New Zealand

aus-bound
28-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Anyone wanting to know more dont hesitate to PM me if i can be of any help

Pm sent :D

dogma
29-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Have a chat with these guys.

"TRADES RECOGNITION AUSTRALIA"

03 9954 2537

www.workplace.gov.au/tra

leewilson
30-04-2006, 06:38 PM
It cant be as bad as people are making out the country would colapse!
does anyone have any good news about jobs etc in perth?
this site is getting very depressing.

frank
30-04-2006, 07:26 PM
this site is getting very depressing.

how so leewilson?

Welcome to the forum. I hope you can share your refrigeration knowledge and life experiences with us.
Having new members join is what makes this forum so interesting. Members from all parts of the world with a common interest.

DALO
01-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Alas someone lives in the real world in Australia and his name is bushman, but not to my suprise he is actually a South African.
The wages here are s**t and whatsmore being a migrant you will be payed less and f***ed around even more than the poorly payed locals. You need license after license with regulations constantly changing and training course after training course only to get nowhere.
Thats if your allowed on the courses, prerequisites being Australian borns only. Its not just the fridgy trade either. A friend of mine works for Qantas, (Aircraft Technician). Hes allowed to train budding Australians and share his extensive knowledge but hes restricted in his workplace activities unlike the Aussies who have none of these problems.

As for the IR reforms that John Howard recently passed which hole in the desert have you had your head stuck in???
The laws implemented are already kicking in. An electrician friend of mine was recently told all shift work and weekends at normal rate, no arguements or find another job.
Come on Aussie tradesman stop leading our overseas friends down the garden path on this website and tell them the real story before they waste their time and money as i did 6 years ago.

Temprite
01-05-2006, 10:39 PM
I Agree with what some of the posters are saying.

But if you are not happy with your current situation why not move somewhere else where you will be happy?

dogma
03-05-2006, 02:12 PM
I agree with that last post.:)

aus-bound
03-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Whats all this about not being allowed on courses unless your Australian born? Can you expand on that a little?

Do you need a license to start up a window cleaning round :D

Jon

DALO
05-05-2006, 09:09 AM
Id agree with Temprite and Dogma on the go home issue if your not happy. But do i get my money back for all the useless courses ive had to pay for, air fares and immigration fees???
Surely anyone entering the country should be warned of this.
Incidentally i tried for 4 years to get on the refrigeration cert 3 in Australia (although i was time served apprentice with 6 years post trade wasnt good enough for proficiency cert), and wasnt allowed because i wasnt an Australian apprentice. A TAFE teacher admitted it to me. So what do you do let someone in the country take their money and then tell them they are not qualified after theyve incurred the costs.
Give 1st year tradesman priority and Arctick licenses because they are Australian trained.
I dont think Doghouse and Tempy are qualified to speak on this matter and encourage people to work here.
Its down to the individuals discretion whether they come but how about forewarning them??

Temprite
05-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Id agree with Temprite and Dogma on the go home issue if your not happy. But do i get my money back for all the useless courses ive had to pay for, air fares and immigration fees???
Surely anyone entering the country should be warned of this.
Incidentally i tried for 4 years to get on the refrigeration cert 3 in Australia (although i was time served apprentice with 6 years post trade wasnt good enough for proficiency cert), and wasnt allowed because i wasnt an Australian apprentice. A TAFE teacher admitted it to me. So what do you do let someone in the country take their money and then tell them they are not qualified after theyve incurred the costs.
Give 1st year tradesman priority and Arctick licenses because they are Australian trained.
I dont think Doghouse and Tempy are qualified to speak on this matter and encourage people to work here.
Its down to the individuals discretion whether they come but how about forewarning them??

Maybe some research on the matter first would have helped. There is no way I would be moving to another country without checking the pros and cons first.

Abe
05-05-2006, 10:53 AM
In hindsight its easy to say , yes , undertake research. At the time the excitement of it all seems to override the necessity to undertake in depth research, also that information may not be readily available.

I value Dalo's input as he is talking from a reality perspective, been through the rigours and trials of how things work out there.

But the message is clear, do your research prior to your burning that bridge behind you.

DALO
05-05-2006, 11:32 PM
But temprite how can you research something which changes its regulations every couple of years leaving you in no mans land. What would you know about moving anywhere else? I did plenty of research.
Also to move to Australia your trade has to be recognised before you get in. Then its unrecognised when you are in.
Also your institutions (VTT) will not assess any applications unless you are living in the country.

Id say the onus is on your recruiting government to state the facts instead of the propaganda they print to lead you in.
It seems awfully strange to me that my qualifications got me in the country within 6 weeks but it took another 4 years to get equal rights.
I think they call it an anomaly.
So go back to installing your back to back splits Tempy and get YOUR FACTS straight before you ill advise anymore people.

Abe
06-05-2006, 12:24 AM
Its not merely a question of undertaking research thats an issue. The facts are that the Australians practice a sort of discrimination against new migrants, which is blatantly unfair and unjust.

The reasoning behind this is obviously to maintain the advantages of the home grown Aussie over the migrant. To maintain the newby as a lackey .This is protectionist, and understandable.

What is not right, is that there is misrepresentation . The luckless migrant is only to find to his cost at a later stage that his qualifications do not really stack up, and he has to undergo years of further accreditation.

The system seems disproportionate. Trouble is, how much longer can the Aussies perpetuate this??

How can this anomoly be dissiminated??

Who are these bodies who make these rules , so they can be asked to defend their requirements??

Temprite
06-05-2006, 04:23 AM
So go back to installing your back to back splits Tempy and get YOUR FACTS straight before you ill advise anymore people.

Ooooooohh thats putting me back in my box isn't it.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Did you see me make any comments advising people on coming to the country?

I never disagreed with anything you said. I said if you were not happy with your current situation you could always leave.

If I was installing back to backs everyday, life would be great. A majority of my time is spent doing warranty work, and that includes fixing up dodgy jobs done by hacks.

You can get personal and try and insult me all day it's water off a ducks back.

DALO
07-05-2006, 12:08 AM
Lighten up mate wheres your sense of humour???

Next youll be waffling about the ashes.

dogma
09-05-2006, 06:39 AM
Guys. I can't speak from the prespective of the potential emigrants but I'll give this advice.

Step 1.
Call

03 9954 2537

www.workplace.gov.au/tra

They will be able to tell you what if any traning you may need to trade and/or work in Australia

Step 2.
Call the relevant Federal and State Government departments for immergration and employment.

They'll tell you what is requied of you and relevant contacts.

Step 3.
Book a holiday in the area you keen to work.
Go to the companies in the area and have a chat.

If your skills are needed, they may help you get into the country.

Step 4.
Call training organisations for availability of training (if required).

By now you should have an idea of initial costs, job availability, and have a taste for Australian Beer.

Step 5.
Think about it. ( while tossing down a fine Australian Brew).

It's that hard.

:D ;)

Abe
09-05-2006, 10:08 AM
Me thinks Dogma puts it down very well.

At end of day, its an upheaval, so the onus is on migrant to make sure he has covered all the tracks.

And theres another twist as well, at end of day its also an advernture, and not for the feint hearted.

But the rewards, once youve overcome the initial difficulties, is long lasting happiness......

So a little inconvenience at beginning is acceptable..

Its like getting to the scent od a rose, to get to it you overcome the thorns......

DeB
12-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Aus-bound don't be put off by R Bartlett whom speaks with much authority and little knowledge.The one thing you may find difficult is working in Summer. It can be quite hot and humid in Queensland in the summer. We are in the last month of Autumn and winter is approaching but daytime temperatures are a pleasant 24-26 Celcius.A tad warmer than Newbury.Wages range from 50K-65K depending on experience and company. Usually you are expected to be on call and work overtime in Summer. I know guys that generally make around 80k to 100K.The work will give you new challenges as it runs on very high loads in summer. It is sometimes hard to equate the cost of living. Petrol is getting more expensive and is around 50P in your money per litre. Where I live I can be on the Gold Coast in 1 hour and the Sunsine Coast in 45 minutes and I live 300 metres from the beach. Not the worst lifestyle you could have. Sadly, there is poverty and racism in Australia. Despite our high acceptance of migrants we are no more immune to these social ills than any other country.

iceman007
12-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Actually Richard (rbartlett) was very kind, helping me out with information as he knew I was planning the move also. I think we all have our own reasons for doing different things. What might apply to one person might not to another. For instance my Parents would never move from the Midlands, let alone overseas, but I can't get away quick enough.

I think that we all have different motivations and what may suit one person, may not another.

Temprite
12-05-2006, 10:34 PM
I thought Richard seemed to have done his homework quite well before contemplating the move.

It wasn't to his liking so he didn't go.

aus-bound
14-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Guys. I can't speak from the prespective of the potential emigrants but I'll give this advice.

Step 1.
Call

03 9954 2537

www.workplace.gov.au/tra

They will be able to tell you what if any traning you may need to trade and/or work in Australia

Step 2.
Call the relevant Federal and State Government departments for immergration and employment.

They'll tell you what is requied of you and relevant contacts.

Step 3.
Book a holiday in the area you keen to work.
Go to the companies in the area and have a chat.

If your skills are needed, they may help you get into the country.

Step 4.
Call training organisations for availability of training (if required).

By now you should have an idea of initial costs, job availability, and have a taste for Australian Beer.

Step 5.
Think about it. ( while tossing down a fine Australian Brew).

It's that hard.

:D ;)

Being as i will be over in Brisbane this July/August for 3 weeks, i will try to contact all the relevant bodies while i am over there, in between soaking up the culture and the beer :)

Jon

aus-bound
14-05-2006, 12:20 AM
Aus-bound don't be put off by R Bartlett whom speaks with much authority and little knowledge.The one thing you may find difficult is working in Summer. It can be quite hot and humid in Queensland in the summer. We are in the last month of Autumn and winter is approaching but daytime temperatures are a pleasant 24-26 Celcius.A tad warmer than Newbury.Wages range from 50K-65K depending on experience and company. Usually you are expected to be on call and work overtime in Summer. I know guys that generally make around 80k to 100K.The work will give you new challenges as it runs on very high loads in summer. It is sometimes hard to equate the cost of living. Petrol is getting more expensive and is around 50P in your money per litre. Where I live I can be on the Gold Coast in 1 hour and the Sunsine Coast in 45 minutes and I live 300 metres from the beach. Not the worst lifestyle you could have. Sadly, there is poverty and racism in Australia. Despite our high acceptance of migrants we are no more immune to these social ills than any other country.

Not been put off by anybody as it will be our decision whether we go or not, everybodies point of view has been read and we are still positive about making the move. Sounds like you live close to Brisbane with the travel times you state for Gold coast and Sunshine coast? 80-100k sounds good enough for me, is that doing supermarket work?

Jon

aus-bound
14-05-2006, 12:21 AM
I think that we all have different motivations and what may suit one person, may not another.

My point of view exactly :cool:

Jon

rbartlett
14-05-2006, 04:27 PM
I thought Richard seemed to have done his homework quite well before contemplating the move.

It wasn't to his liking so he didn't go.

Actually it wasn't to my wifes liking..

Cheers

Richard

rbartlett
14-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Aus-bound don't be put off by R Bartlett whom speaks with much authority and little knowledge.The one thing you may find difficult is working in Summer. It can be quite hot and humid in Queensland in the summer. We are in the last month of Autumn and winter is approaching but daytime temperatures are a pleasant 24-26 Celsius.A tad warmer than Newbury.Wages range from 50K-65K depending on experience and company. Usually you are expected to be on call and work overtime in Summer. I know guys that generally make around 80k to 100K.The work will give you new challenges as it runs on very high loads in summer. It is sometimes hard to equate the cost of living. Petrol is getting more expensive and is around 50P in your money per litre. Where I live I can be on the Gold Coast in 1 hour and the Sunsine Coast in 45 minutes and I live 300 metres from the beach. Not the worst lifestyle you could have. Sadly, there is poverty and racism in Australia. Despite our high acceptance of migrants we are no more immune to these social ills than any other country.

Basically all you've done is denigrate me then paraphrase exactly what I said ...What a p r i c k

Cheers

Richard

Jamie
19-05-2006, 07:44 AM
Come to NZ mate its better than OZ!!
Its easier to get in here then when youve been here a while and get your residency you can get into OZ.I looked at going to Oz first but the process and red tape to get there is unbeleivable and more expensive.

Peter_1
19-05-2006, 07:46 AM
Wel, well, well, Jamie, still alive?:D

Jamie
19-05-2006, 07:56 AM
Yep live and kicking peter :cool:

DALO
19-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Jamie i see your a Pome in NZ. I wouldnt have thought theyd be that much work there, but i have seen adverts in Sydney Herald trying to recruit for Nelson. Ive been to NZ twice, Queenstown is fantastic. Easy life eh?

Jamie
19-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Dalo

They go mad on heat pumps down here cos of the cold!
Not sure how long its been since you were here but QT is booming buildings going up everywhere.The work aint nothing to brain teasing of course but plenty of spare time left for hobbies.The snow is mounting on the peaks and ive dusted off me snowboard so bring on the snow!

iceman007
29-05-2006, 02:49 AM
Apparently in Queensland, theres an extra qualification which you have to have, referred to as a connect/disconnect license, so does anyone know exactly what this is or for that matter how to obtain it. I guess it must be something different to a restricted electrical license.

Cheers
James

comproom_ac
29-05-2006, 12:25 PM
connect/disconnect license is a restricted licences ie means you can only replace a part of the the same rating and capacity, replace exisiting wiring..NOT to install new wiring...I am from sutton iceman, have been in Aust. for 5 year now...Used to work for Hussman Ref..

iceman007
29-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Hi,

Thanks for that. Is this something I have got to do a test for in Australia, or can it be done without another test. I guess it has to be done at TAFE ??

Sutton as in Sutton Coldfield ??

Cheers
James

comproom_ac
29-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Yes mate, Sutton Coldfield....Erm, you have to do it in Australia unless you have you full uk electrical licence, then you can pay money to have it revaluated......If not, then you have to go to gollege at night school for a few weeks...to sit the test you must do the night school as well....you cant just take the exam.....con i know.... its about 1 night per weeks for 4 weeks at night school....You need you fridgy plus restricted electrical licence to work in the trade in Australia...

Peter_1
29-05-2006, 09:05 PM
James, what's happening ;) :p

iceman007
29-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Peter,

The story is very probably too long to post on here, so I wil send you an e-mail shortly.

James

AMARNATH JHA
30-05-2006, 03:05 PM

cheers

richard

Dear Mr Bartlett

Regards,
Sue Fraser
Absolute Cool

Hi Fraser
I am refrigeration engineer & having 12 years of experience in ammonia refrigeration systems. Is there any place for me in your company.
warm regards
Amarnath jha

DALO
31-05-2006, 04:54 AM
Dont agree with the disconnect/reconnect post.
As far as i know you need NREL 1,2,3a &4a to work in A/C in NSW and be deemed competent to work in associated electrical work within refrigeration systems.

NREL 1 Principles & Safety
NREL 2 Disconnect & Reconnect
NREL 3a Fault find 240v motors
NREL 4a Fault find 650v motors

See office of fair trading building license requirememnt section.
Until you have all of these your license will state 'excluding all electrical work'. Once obtained the endorsement will be removed.
Although your studying Restricted Electrical licensing your not actually applying for one.
Plumbers etc do 1 & 2 for disconnect and reconnect but A/C mechanics must do all 4 as this is deemed the equivalent to the electrical modules an apprentice in NSW would do. Beware a lot of TAFES dont teach 3A &4A whatsoever.
It takes around 26 weeks to get through it and $1000.
Also i once read in Queensland you were required to have NREL 1,2,3a,4a, 5 and 6. So it was even stricter.
Although i cant confirm this as their state laws may be different.
Dont forget your CFC authorisation from ARCTICK.

Hope this helps

aus-bound
03-06-2006, 11:17 PM
Dont agree with the disconnect/reconnect post.
As far as i know you need NREL 1,2,3a &4a to work in A/C in NSW and be deemed competent to work in associated electrical work within refrigeration systems.

NREL 1 Principles & Safety
NREL 2 Disconnect & Reconnect
NREL 3a Fault find 240v motors
NREL 4a Fault find 650v motors

See office of fair trading building license requirememnt section.
Until you have all of these your license will state 'excluding all electrical work'. Once obtained the endorsement will be removed.
Although your studying Restricted Electrical licensing your not actually applying for one.
Plumbers etc do 1 & 2 for disconnect and reconnect but A/C mechanics must do all 4 as this is deemed the equivalent to the electrical modules an apprentice in NSW would do. Beware a lot of TAFES dont teach 3A &4A whatsoever.
It takes around 26 weeks to get through it and $1000.
Also i once read in Queensland you were required to have NREL 1,2,3a,4a, 5 and 6. So it was even stricter.
Although i cant confirm this as their state laws may be different.
Dont forget your CFC authorisation from ARCTICK.

Hope this helps

Hi mate, Dont suppose you know if RPL would apply to getting this license ? or do you have to go to a TAFE and take the course to get it?

Cheers

Jon

chillin out
04-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Mate.....are you still here????

You started this thread 2 years ago....LOL

Are you walking there?

Go on take the plunge before it's too late.

Chillin:) :)

Abe
04-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Procrastination is the thief of TIME

aus-bound
06-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Mate.....are you still here????

You started this thread 2 years ago....LOL

Are you walking there?

Go on take the plunge before it's too late.

Chillin:) :)

:( yep still here, i like to research things :D
still trying to get permission for the kids to go from there dad, he has said they can go but will not sign a letter in front of a solicitor to say so :mad: if no joy after this years holiday we are going to book a court date to get it sorted one way or the other. if it goes against us we are telling him the kids are coming to live with him and we are off :eek: that may shock him into signing :rolleyes:

DALO
07-06-2006, 01:27 AM
Ausbound im afraid theres pretty much no such thing as RPL in this country. Youll have to get it here.

Abe
07-06-2006, 06:46 AM
dalo

what is rpl, sorry, one finger typing here........

frank
07-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Hi Abe

I think it stands for Recognision(sp?) of Prior Learning.

It can also be applied here in our colleges.

Basically, you have to prove that you have qualifications or experience in a subject to exclude you from having to study again.

Abe
07-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Ahh Ok Frank,

We call it Exemptions here, but I guess the Aussies like to use fancy names and titles........hic, hype!!

Bit like that advert they showing on tv right now.........like, mmm , lunch is being served, and a plane shooting over an island.......

You know , that, where the bloody hell are you campaign!!!

DALO
08-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Spot on...... Recognition of prior learning. But then any of us if we were that way inclined and wanted to lock others out by being a fat b*****d and eating all the pie leaving nothing for anyone else, could easily choose to recognise nothing!!!!!!!

fatty
09-06-2006, 08:25 AM
My brother in law has just moved to aus last year if you have your NVQ3 and at least 4 years in the field all you will need to do is a test and your health and saftey red card I think its called you will wait a while for them to research your qualifications though

arabwoni
23-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Hi, Refrigeration-engineer members, I would like to share my achievement with you. As my final year project at the Makerere University of Kampala, Uganda, East Africa, I designed and constructed a platefreezer under the tittle: "Design and construction of a plate freezer for a commercial kitchen". The 10kg unit was tested and set a record time (by Ugandan standards) of 40minutes to freeze water to -18 degrees celcius. Iam now calling on all refrigeration-engineer members who can help me extend my technology to greater heights. Uganda my home country is a third world country with low levels of technology development with all refrigeration equipments used imported second hand and there is technology vacuum waiting to be utilised. The government is welcoming foreign investors with subsidies for those of you who would wish to extend their business and technology over here. My humble appeal to dear fellow members is whether there is any one who can help me develop my technological ideas.Please get back to me on.
Email: arabwoni@yahoo.com
Tel: +256772935406

aus-bound
25-06-2006, 12:12 AM
Hi, Refrigeration-engineer members, I would like to share my achievement with you. As my final year project at the Makerere University of Kampala, Uganda, East Africa, I designed and constructed a platefreezer under the tittle: "Design and construction of a plate freezer for a commercial kitchen". The 10kg unit was tested and set a record time (by Ugandan standards) of 40minutes to freeze water to -18 degrees celcius. Iam now calling on all refrigeration-engineer members who can help me extend my technology to greater heights. Uganda my home country is a third world country with low levels of technology development with all refrigeration equipments used imported second hand and there is technology vacuum waiting to be utilised. The government is welcoming foreign investors with subsidies for those of you who would wish to extend their business and technology over here. My humble appeal to dear fellow members is whether there is any one who can help me develop my technological ideas.Please get back to me on.
Email: arabwoni@yahoo.com
Tel: +256772935406

WTF :eek: :D start your own thread man :) oh and congratulations on your plate freezer :)

TONY LONGTHORNE
28-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Hi Guys
For those of you thinking of coming out here to aussie you wont go far wrong than taking r bartletts advise, post number #10 he is pretty spot on with the state of the play here.
To add a foot note there are the new Ind Relations laws to consider for those of us who believe on a fair days pay for a far days work, i have to concede that Mr Howard the current PM has set out to try to do what can only be called a Margret Thatcher here in aussie, the working classes will not get a good deal out of these reg,s and the rank and file of workers here are not happy with the dictatorial attitude of the present government's policy's on work place relations, again we see a huge influence from globalisation and the big world players dictating to government's the policy's to be implemented to maximise there profits to line there own nests.
From my perspective and having been in the industry for 44 years i have never seen anything like this current world globalisation, it is very clear that the working classes of the western world are going to be plunged into relative poverty over the next ten years, i can see a late revival of the unions but i do not hold much hope out that this will assist our cause. There will have to be another industrial revolution the fight for decent working conditions and pay our for fathers went through is about to happen all over again, remember history has a habit of repeating it's self. So prepare your self and loved ones for the dark period to come in the next ten years. Advice obtain a copy of a book entitled The Empty Rain Coat and read it from cover to cover it will open your eyes.
Any way if i had to live in semi poverty as no doubt i will, i could not think of a better place to do it than here in aussie, here in Perth WA we had the coldest night on record last week 0.1c with a 15c day temp so you can see we wont freeze to death.
Your will never never know if you never never go, you can always go back to the uk if it's not for you.
Be Lucky.
Big T.

Pickles
07-07-2006, 01:02 AM
Hi all, first post for me :eek:
We are thinking about living in Australia (Brisbane area) and i was wondering if any Ex-pats/Aus Fridgies could give me some pointers on work over there, is it easy to get, what sort of hours do you work, whats the pay like, would i need to get any other qualifications other than my CG level 2 and gas handling i already have?

Any general information that may be of help? :)

thanks Hi, Im from Brisbane Australia and work as a refrigeration mech. Most employers will require the following: A current Trade certificate, refrigerant handleing licence (CFC, HCFC) and a current restricted electrical licence. These are the requirements of a qualified refrigeration A/C mech in Australia.An average hourly rate of pay is usually between $22-$26 p/h Based on a 40 hour week The Brisbane area generally has good demang of job vacancies available for the trade. All the best, any Questions feel free to ask.

thermo690
09-07-2006, 01:35 AM
Hi, Im from Brisbane Australia and work as a refrigeration mech. Most employers will require the following: A current Trade certificate, refrigerant handleing licence (CFC, HCFC) and a current restricted electrical licence. These are the requirements of a qualified refrigeration A/C mech in Australia.An average hourly rate of pay is usually between $22-$26 p/h Based on a 40 hour week The Brisbane area generally has good demang of job vacancies available for the trade. All the best, any Questions feel free to ask.

Hi do you have any info on the transport (reefers) side of things in Brisbane

Any info would be much appreciated

Martin:)