PDA

View Full Version : UK Aircon Companies can reg w/REFCOM now

Makeit go Right
14-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Now that things have been sorted out with Defra, REFCOM are able to register (UK) companies in time -- just -- for the July deadline.

More info here:
http://www.cnplus.co.uk/building-services/rac/rac-news/countdown-for-refcom-to-register-companies-to-f-gas-scheme-begins/5203399.article

Register online here:
http://www.refcom.org.uk/index.aspx

Andy W
15-06-2009, 05:39 PM
I have read the spiel, now do we have to register or will it be another waste of time, I did my 2079 last week and the course tutors talked of laws and you have to do this because of the law and no one can buy gas after 4th July etc but it is turning out to be a load of nonesense, out of 3 wholesalers I spoke to all said they have not been instructed to refuse to sell gas, so is really necessary for us small businesses to register because "its the law after 4th July" or is it another waste of my hard earned in these difficult times, I for one dont know what to do for the best.

What are you other small businesses going to do?

A couple of points from the Refcom site.

"The Regulations place strict obligations on operators of SRAC equipment and if your business is not certificated you will be placing your customers at risk."

How?

"Refrigerant gas and equipment suppliers are strong supporters of the Regulations. They are likely, therefore, to request sight of your company certificate before fulfilling any order your business needs."

If 2078 / 2079 hasnt done the trick what will?

After chatting to Wolseley Centre recently they are waiting to see what happens but have no definitive yes or no on the supply of gas as yet.

Makeit go Right
16-06-2009, 08:54 AM
I know what you mean, Andy.

Take a look at point-7 of this document, which has some more info:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/air-atmos/fgas/documents/fgassupport-rac5.pdf

also more info here:
http://www.acr-news.com/news/news.asp?id=1536

Andy W
16-06-2009, 03:33 PM
The engineers I have spoken to today are not aware of the fact that it is law, you have to register, is everyone else going to register?

frank
16-06-2009, 07:47 PM
We've registered and reluctantly paid our £90 :rolleyes:

Apparently, we are now on the public register - haven't checked yet.

Makeit go Right
16-06-2009, 07:49 PM
We paid up too, just in case some client asks the question when we quote.

pavilion
16-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Same thing Andy, I've had to apply for a waste carriers licence & Refcom

sinewave
16-06-2009, 08:25 PM
I was just about to post a cheque yesterday when I realised that we only had a Hazerdous Waste Carriers license and not the additional 'Carrier of Controlled Waste' license also.

Quick download and fill out of the on-line application form and £152 lighter I now find out it can take up to two months to get this bito paper so therefore we can not apply for Refcom registration untill then!

:confused:

pavilion
16-06-2009, 08:47 PM
I read that it could take that long too sinewave but it only took a week.

Andy W
16-06-2009, 10:36 PM
I realised that we only had a Hazerdous Waste Carriers license and not the additional 'Carrier of Controlled Waste' license also.Not something else, I am not sure what mine is, it cost £18 on line for a premises code for hazardous waste registration details.

Is there something else I need then guys, any links, I feel like calling it a day now, after 31 years I have had enough.:(

sinewave
16-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Is there something else I need then guys, any links, I feel like calling it a day now, after 31 years I have had enough.:(

Yes, U need one of these at £152 a pop.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Business/form_2039219.pdf

Andy W
17-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Check out section 6 of this refcom document, as a producer of hazardous waste you do not need to hold a waste carriers licence, we are the producer, we still need a premises code according to section 2, that is if this is still current.

I have just spoken to the environmental agency and she read a piece out to me of which she is sending me a copy of later, basically, if you attend site and make a decision that the gas needs removing and replacing then you do not need a waste carriers licence, if you are requested to decommission and remove equipment you need a waste carriers licence, the difference apparently is you making a decision as a producer of waste and a customer who wishes to dispose of his waste which is his decision.

Andy W
17-06-2009, 05:15 PM
The reply from the environment agency:

Thank you for your call regarding the need to register as a Waste Carrier.

Please see following information:

Do Air Conditioning companies need to register as waste carriers?

You will need to register as a waste carrier if:

you have been given an instruction to remove the gas for a customers air conditioning unit and take it away. They have decided what is waste and therefore it is their waste.

You will not need to register if:

a customer asks you to come and maintain their air conditioning unit, you would make the decision as the whether or not the gas needs to be changed;
you have a regular maintenance contract and are responsibility for deciding when the gas needs to be changed. You are deciding what is waste and therefore it is your waste.

So at least I know now.

sinewave
17-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Well to be honest we will all be removing old kit at some point along with other stuff so to be compliant a Waste carrier licence is required then aint it!

It last for three years also so, so that's only £50/year.

:)

Andy W
17-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Perhaps some of these things should be made into stickys once we have found out the true facts so all engineers know for sure and not just ear say.

So in brief:

It is mandatory to register with Refcom so is having a 2078 or 2079 .
You have to have a waste carriers licence if you intend to decommission / remove kit.
You still need to have a premises code.

Then there are the requirements for vehicles which we were told about on the F Gas course.

You have to have a roof vent if carrying gas or display in writing in letters of a certain size that gasses are been transported in an un ventilated area.
You must display red and green triangles to the rear and both sides of your vehicle when carrying gas and cover them over when not carrying gas.
All gas bottles need to be properly strapped down.
A trem card needs to be displayed in a prominent position.
Data sheets for all the gasses you carry including oxygen, acetylene and mapp must be kept on the vehicle.

I spoke to yet another engineer today who works for a company and he does not even have a current 2078.

sparrow
01-07-2009, 04:27 PM
I spoke to yet another engineer today who works for a company and he does not even have a current 2078.

Classic, lol I love this the world rushing along dragging the poor bewildered behined :D

Sparrow

Makeit go Right
14-07-2009, 01:25 PM
QUIDOS can also register companies, now:

http://www.acr-news.com/news/news.asp?id=1593&title=Quidos+approved+as+F-Gas+company+registration+body++

... and they are a lot cheaper than REFCOM, at least for the interim cert: £49+Vat instead of 90+Vat. Worth checking which is cheaper when getting around to registering.