PDA

View Full Version : en378

Krups
04-07-2004, 05:29 PM
what is this en378, i found one site that says :-

EN378 Safety and Environmental Requirements requires the installation of fixed leak monitors in refrigeration and air-conditioning machinery rooms. However, it goes significantly further than earlier standards world wide by including the special requirement to ensure safety in air-conditioned spaces in Category A occupancy buildings if a sudden leak into an occupied space would exceed specified concentrations. Typically, this could occur with direct expansion split systems.

Category A buildings include those that have restricted movement such as dwellings, residential institutions (hotels, hospitals, prisons, schools) and public places such as courts, theatres, public transport termini, supermarkets, restaurants, etc. Installation of appropriate gas leak detectors in such buildings should meet the requirement of EN378.

now i have to incorporate this in my nvq lvl 2 portfolio, but as im going for the maintenance/service nvq, what i dont understand is how this is relevant to what im doing...as iv never had to work with fixed leak detection systems.
the actual unit i have to incorporate says :-
Preliminary installation checks comply with EN378.

any ideas anyone ??

Argus
04-07-2004, 10:56 PM
You must ask this is question specifically of your tutor.

EN 378 is a refrigeration safety standard in Four Parts.

It deals with the safety of refrigeration systems: As well as being a safety standard, it is harmonised to the Pressure Equipment Directive.

Part 1 is: Basic Requirements, Definitions, Classification And Selection Criteria.
Part 2 Is Design Construction, Testing, Maintenance, Documentation.
Part 3 Is Installation, Site and Personal Protection
Part 4 Is Operation. Maintenance Repair and Recovery.

If your tutor is not teaching this as a basic part of your course, I would question the value of it. This standard is refrigeration basics

Go back to him and ask for the relevant parts. Read them. If you don?t understand it ask for guidance

Preliminary checks are in Part 2.

This is NOT a bit of Mickey Mouse legislation out of Brussels.

Hope this helps???
________
Chrysler CCV history (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_CCV)

Krups
04-07-2004, 11:17 PM
thanks for your help...since starting this course we have never even heard of en378
dont even get me started on the organisation of this course amongst other things....its been alll a load of tosh to put it nicely...more or less since day one!
trying to get anything out of them is a major task in itself.
out of 18 students on the course(who managed to stay this far into it) only myself and another are actually planning on getting this portfolio done and aiming to get the nvq...despite having hardly any help on it whatsoever! :mad:

Argus
05-07-2004, 10:37 AM
thanks for your help...since starting this course we have never even heard of en378
dont even get me started on the organisation of this course amongst other things....its been alll a load of tosh to put it nicely...more or less since day one!
trying to get anything out of them is a major task in itself.
out of 18 students on the course(who managed to stay this far into it) only myself and another are actually planning on getting this portfolio done and aiming to get the nvq...despite having hardly any help on it whatsoever! :mad:

That's dreadful. They are supposed to be giving you an education!

A basic knowledge of EN 378 is pivotal to practical refrigeration work.
I would venture that you should also gain a basic knowledge of the PED, and the legislation surrounding refrigerants today.
None of it is rocket science.

If this is true how does this reflect on the quality of the tutors?

Any other UK trainees in the same boat?
________
Rear-Engine Mercedes-Benz history (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Rear-Engine_Mercedes-Benz)

Krups
05-07-2004, 11:03 PM
the funny thing is, they seem to knw a hell of alot .....but we feel as if we had been jus pushed through like sheep just to make up the numbers....seems like its all about the $$$ to them ....not about our education....
as you've probably guessed i knw nothing of ped either!
i think i should shut up though as im guna start lookin for a job soon lol n all this cant be helpin me haha

frank
06-07-2004, 08:11 PM
Why don't you take Mel and Paul to task and tell them about your feelings?

As they say - if you don't ask, you don't get. :)

Krups
07-07-2004, 01:37 PM
well they have always been helpfull with me, well paul more than mel, mel's always like dont worry. it'l be fine. you'l be fine. etc etc.
but trying to get anything out of them is a task as we've all found out during the course.
neways its over now. just got to get on with the work