PDA

View Full Version : Im worrided about this July 4th deadline thingy

JimTheFridge
13-06-2009, 08:48 PM
I have a small LTD company, just me and a small van! I was self taught by my father, who sadly passed away last year. Now reading on the various Refrigeration News sites, they're all talking about the Refcom July 4th deadline.

I've only just heard about this!

- So that’s 3 weeks to get City and Guilds 2079 qualification!
- Then I would need to register with refcom.

I don't have the money nor the time for this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all too willing to get a City and Guilds 2079 qualification, just thought I might of been given a bit more time!

I must admit, I’m a tad worried.

What will happen if I'm not able to do everything in time to be legal? Is there a fine, will I be forced to give up the job I love.

Just some advice & reassurance needed really....

Thank you in advance.

Spencer.Guy
13-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Any help?
From; refcom org uk (won't let me post a true link)

What are the differences between interim and full company certification? The Fluorinated Greenhouse Gases Regulations recognise that not all businesses will be able to meet the full company certification standards by 4 July 2009, most likely because their employed engineers will hold the old CITB J01, City and Guilds 2078 or an equivalent in-house qualification.
The interim certification period lasts until 4 July 2011 to allow businesses time for their employed engineers to gain one of the new qualifications CITB J11 - J14 or City and Guilds 2079.
In addition, to obtain a full company certificate businesses must demonstrate that they have appropriate recovery systems and refrigerant handling procedures in place.
Businesses must hold either an interim or full certificate by 4 July 2009.

eggs
13-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Stock up on Gas now, and start training. Job done.

Who is going to police it?

I have a small company and have also been waiting to see what happens.
Fortunately I have the C&G2078, so thats me ok 'till 2011. By which time it will have changed again.

Eggs

Spencer.Guy
13-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Who is going to police it?

Eggs

If it's like all the other recent Regs for other industries....No-one,, until something goes wrong.

Corporate customers will be asking for proof of registration as they would for ISO 9000 etc.

eggs
13-06-2009, 10:54 PM
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]I have a small LTD company, just me and a small van!

No disrespect intended to Jim, but how many corperate customers does Jim have?

And what can go wrong? how many people are going to die with half a kg of 404 leaking over 12 months?

Eggs

neil
15-06-2009, 12:21 PM
It comes down to whether you want to trade legally or not.
Jim, presuming you currently hold CITB J01 or City and Guilds 2078, then you should be able to apply for an interim certificate. This shouldn't be too onerous and for a sole trader will cost £70.

mikebry
11-07-2009, 09:51 AM
If they are so worried about refrigerant handling and leakage they should outlaw car A/C, I get loads of people asking me to top up their A/C systems, when I tell them I have to find and repair the leak they lose interest, There must be tons of refrigerant lost to the atmosphere this way, I think this is more jobs for the boys, and another Tax.

Moris
03-09-2010, 08:25 AM
Hi all

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between 2078 and 2079 as I did 2078 years ago.

mo