PDA

View Full Version : What tools do I need?

davie
11-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Hi all, Im new to this site, I am an apprentice A/C - refrigeration engineer entering second year at college, I have managed to get experience from another AC company in my area and am working with them for 3 days a week (FREE). Once I (and I hope I will) qualify this time next year I will be (hopefully) leading my small family business into this feild, we current supply, service & maintain air purification and ventilation products, but since the smoking ban or big contracts have stoped using the equipment for removing tobacco smoke and hense the reason im at college. anyway, as we are starting from scrach, can anyone give me pointers of where to look for tools. A tools list would also help, I dont want to be going without the proper equipment. Thanks

HTSEngineering
11-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Multi-meter(preferably a Fluke)...they make an HVAC specific one with a temperature probe
wire strippers/crimps
Nut drivers...not sure if you use those or regular screwdrivers on your units in scotland
Gauges(yellow jacket)
Copper tube cutter
Flare block
Pliers/vice grips

The tools above are a good start down the line you should invest in
a good set of oxy/act torches
vacuum pump (yellow jacket at least 6cfm anything smaller and it will take a while)
If they have recovery laws in Scotland you might want a recovery device down the road but usually you can borrow one or share it with a couple friends
hope this helps

davie
11-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Many thanks for your reply, its funny you say yellow jacket, we just watched a yellow jacket presentation today in college using the yellow jacket VAC pump.

I have also been searching A/C tools through my search engine and they are so many, did'nt know where to start but ill look into the ones you recommend, one more question, where is the best place to purchase? HRP, dean & wood, SRW, RYAN etc ???

Thanks again

Brian_UK
11-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Whoever gives you the best prices and delivery.

superswill
12-06-2009, 01:10 PM
davie

try the classifieds section on here, also Ive picked a few bits and bobs up from auctions sites and always get as quotes from as many wholesalers as possible its amazing the different price ranges offered we just saved £120 on a set of benders by ringing round as they were on special offer with a different company 15 miles up the road

davie
12-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Many thanks all for your replys, much appreciated, still got a bit to learn before I let myself loose, lol, but thanks for helping, No doubt ill be on in a couple of weeks looking for something else.

Cheers.

stevo4546
15-06-2009, 09:46 PM
hi i have various tools for sale, ie gauges brand new in box, leak detector, digital thermometer with leads, multi meters, recovery units, turbo torch 07825999023