PDA

View Full Version : cordless drill

rbartlett
03-07-2004, 12:19 PM
hi guy's

i'm in the market for a new c.d
currently use a panasonic 12v -from 1997

been exceptional and still is a very good drill...

-I think it really just needs new batteries but at 70 quid each it doesn't stack up..

thoughts suggestions recommendations avoidances etc etc etcmost welcome

cheers

richard

chemi-cool
03-07-2004, 12:45 PM
Hi Richard.

Nothing beats Makita.
I'll give you one thing to think about. Every where you work, there is electricity, batteries are expensive and always run out when you are up on the ladder and you only have one more screw to fit. ( Murfy's law).

So I've sterted to use an elactric screwdriver by Makita that no job is too big for it, even has an impact for quick penetration of hard to drill/screw materials.

Look here:http://www.makita.com/Tools_Item_View.asp?id=329

You will never want any other after you have used this machine.

Chemi

stan1488
03-07-2004, 01:48 PM
go w dewalt 18 volt very tuff cordless goes thru steel w ease and batteries stay charged in truck for weeks, had the makita 14 volt when it came out a few years back , very cheap plastic ,trigger broke in first month by apprentice and drill dropped from 1 meter cracked back , yep dewalt

rbartlett
03-07-2004, 03:48 PM
http://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/webcat/details.asp?ProductCode=EY6950GQKW&ID=1439

i like the cut of this ones' jib..

cheers

richard

Peter_1
03-07-2004, 04:08 PM
We also use the battery powered cutter for threated rods.

WebRam
03-07-2004, 05:30 PM
I use one of these babys
http://www.dewalt.com/us/cordless/

WebRam
03-07-2004, 05:31 PM
oops, here is the direct link

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=8258

chemi-cool
03-07-2004, 05:57 PM
Hi Dez.

The perfect tool for computer screws. :D

Chemi

Peter_1
03-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Did you know that Dewalt = Black Decker?

WebRam
03-07-2004, 06:20 PM
Did you know that Dewalt = Black Decker?

Yes I do but I have never had any go wrong on me, unlike Makita and Panasonic

Abe
03-07-2004, 10:18 PM
De walt 18Volt.............Best there ever was.............
Will go through anything

Gwyn
04-07-2004, 09:17 PM
:cool: makita every time for me, using an SDS at the moment with extra chuck for normal drilling etc. also recomend 12v to 240 volt inverter in the van to allwas have a fully charged bat!!!!

Chillerman
04-07-2004, 11:01 PM
Dewalt are pants now, not R & D ing the gear, if you want a good hard working drill go for Metabo, had mine 16 years, batteries are still good.

Argus
04-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Never mind replacing good old Cordless tools.

If you are in the UK contact these people. They will rebuild your old batteries for about half the price of new.

I've used them and they are very good.

Turn 'round by post is about 1 week - 10 days. Generally they will beef up the output of old ones, too.

http://www.re-cell.com/

Hope it helps
________
Henry Ford Hospital (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Henry_Ford_Hospital)

Tates_uk
05-07-2004, 08:54 PM
I'm forever buggering the gearboxes up on Dewalt cordless drills, but I am heavy handed and probably use it when I should be using the 110v drill but can't be bothered lugging the transformer and extension about!

electricstuff
15-08-2004, 10:53 PM
hi guy's

i'm in the market for a new c.d
currently use a panasonic 12v -from 1997

been exceptional and still is a very good drill...

-I think it really just needs new batteries but at 70 quid each it doesn't stack up..

thoughts suggestions recommendations avoidances etc etc etcmost welcome

cheers

richard

Strikalite (http://www.strikalite.co.uk/prodcat_type/15/ALL/0/Power_Tool_Batteries.html) do 3rd-party batteries, and can also rebuild packs with new cells

Coolie
24-10-2004, 09:24 AM
I use a Hitachi 18v cordless, it's very ergonomic in design and you get two batteries. Weighing in at around £200, it's a bit pricey but it is a good drill. Has a hammer option as well, for drilling masonry! Go here (http://www.hitachi-koki.com/powertools/products/drill/ds18dvb/ds18dvb.html) to hae a look at the one I have an here (http://www.hitachi-koki.com/powertools/products/drill/ds18dvb/ds18dvb.html) to have a look at their whole range.

Jus Walker
24-11-2005, 10:30 PM
36 volt hilti. Trade name THE ANIMAL. Nothing beats it. Like to see a cordless drill that can. Think it is hilti te6 but all i know it is a 36 volt. and have drilled 6 inch hole 2 foot with it.

Daddy Cool
25-11-2005, 04:00 PM
That's not a bad price Coolie, Hitachi staff price for the new DS18DMR is £185+VAT (£217.38) should you know anyone at Hitachi.:rolleyes:

Snowman123
26-11-2005, 12:21 AM
:( Might sound a bit sad, got a wicks volt drill 2 year warranty, 2 batteries and 1 hour charger for £69. If it goes wrong haven't lost allot of cash within 2 years :cool: .

Abe
26-11-2005, 08:17 PM
My advice..................dont go for anything cheapo from Wickes, B and Q, etc

Go for the heavy duty stuff.............remember, its not price, its the EASE of getting the job done.......

The power stuff does the job for you.........

chillin out
26-11-2005, 09:06 PM
My advice..................dont go for anything cheapo from Wickes, B and Q, etc

Go for the heavy duty stuff.............remember, its not price, its the EASE of getting the job done.......

The power stuff does the job for you.........
It all depends what your going to use it for. I bought 2 drills for argos (a high street catalogue shop) and they are still ok after 3 years!!! Ive used them for work (not heavy work) and at home (fitted kitchen and bathrooms and lots more).

If you do a lot of installations then ok go for a high powered drill, but if you are on service then a el cheapo (spanish for budget) will do.

In service you have more chance of losing a tool rather than burning it out.

Chillin:) :)

eggs
26-11-2005, 10:57 PM
I always go for Bosch.
my latest buy is a 2000w chopsaw:D , wow, when i start cutting unistrut all the lights in Manchester dim:cool:

cheers

eggs

tonto
27-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Richard,

Had a 15.6volt panasonic first and after 5 years of trouble free running swapped to a 18volt panasonic, great drill, heaps of torque. The only reason I upgraded was cause the batteries were running out like yours did and I thought it was better to upgrade.....

Tonto

dogma
01-12-2005, 12:02 AM
Hitachi all the way. You could drop it off a hi rise and it'll bounce back.

I worked with a guy in Australia who tested charger capacities and capabilities. He reckons the main prob is memory loss. Each time you charge The cell holds a little less capacity.

He advised me to let the cell run completely out so the chuck didn't move before charging then only charge for the recomended time ie 3HRS only. Cells have more grunt and last longer.

He developed a device that had an LCD display to show % of cell capacity and modified it to dischage to about 15%. The device could charge up to 95% original cap. Most cells go dowm to about 80% after a few charges.

Unfortunately I lost contact with the guy and this device was a one of. He had plans on developing it futher but as yet I've not seen antyhing like it on the market.:eek:

Abe
01-12-2005, 05:28 PM
He advised me to let the cell run completely out so the chuck didn't move before charging then only charge for the recomended time ie 3HRS only. Cells have more grunt and last longer.

:

Youre spot on Dogma

Any battery that needs charging...............run it down to zero, ie: its dead. wont move.

Then give it a fresh charge........up to allotted time
The charge will be a lot better

I worked for a while for a battery company ( Industrial ) so I know a little about this.

Batteries were pure lead, pasted plate, plante and tubular, used in telecoms, power stations, etc

chemi-cool
01-12-2005, 06:13 PM
I have asked myself a few years back, is there a place with refrigeration or ac units without electricity?

Ever since, I don't use any cordless machines.

Haven't felt the need, just plug it in.....

Chemi:)

chillin out
02-12-2005, 12:46 AM
I have asked myself a few years back, is there a place with refrigeration or ac units without electricity?

Do you really want a power extension lead outside in the rain?

I think I will stick to my cheapo cordless drills.

Chillin:) :)

Krups
02-12-2005, 01:12 AM
dewalt 18v, or the 24v + if u need more va va voom, theiry henry for beef, english for power, power universal for = GRRRRR

fridg
02-12-2005, 07:52 AM
I am not brand bashing

but MAKITA is the way to go i have used a few cordless drills and none seem to have the torque and the strength MAKITA have

I dropped my 12v MAKITA off a six foot ladder to a
walkway below , it just bounced , no loud crack , just a
heavy thud , showing the strength of the thing , no
cracks in the case , barely a scratch on the thing ,
picked it up fired straight away !

And a quick tip with the MAKITA if a battery goes
dead , they do not charge if hot , put him in the freezer
for a minute and it will boot up straight away !

this helps with memory in the cells too!

Hope this helps.

Now that is not brand bashing "MAKITA"
IS IT?

By the way nice thread
dogma :eek:

Frosty
02-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Guys, you can't get any better than a Metabo SPB 18 plus. 60 Nm torque, 2 batteries, 15 minute charger, impact and percussion...goes through steel, brick walls as if they were slabs of butter!! Expensive @ £300.00 but really, really worth the money. Do yourselves a favour and buy one of these baby's, you WONT regret it.

Abe
02-12-2005, 10:29 PM
Guys, you can't get any better than a Metabo SPB 18 plus. 60 Nm torque, 2 batteries, 15 minute charger, impact and percussion...goes through steel, brick walls as if they were slabs of butter!! Expensive @ £300.00 but really, really worth the money. Do yourselves a favour and buy one of these baby's, you WONT regret it.

Once again I say.........spend the dough and get the best.
The power stuff makes the job too easy..........

Can you put a price on productivity??

I think not........