PDA

View Full Version : what went wrong with compresser

engine
09-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Hi all,this is my first post.am at the end of my first year of nvq 2 and i have been reading this forum for a while so i decided it was time i asked a question..(go easy people)
right.
i went with me mate earlier to a freezer coldroom that my mate had been to on sunday to do a bit of a clean on the condenser and a realy basic clean realy.now when i called back there with him today the compresser was cooked,it was showing 35 amps and he said the windings had gone.what i was wondering was what could,,,if anything he have done on sunday that would make this happen.i no am a bit green around the edges but if it was my freezer that he had been to i would be wondering what he had done when he called on the sunday.

sorry if this is a little confusing,i have it going round my head and was hoping you guys could shed some light on it.
many thanks

Yuri B.
10-06-2009, 06:22 AM
What ***** is there ? What are the settings of LP, HP protective relays ? Is it pump down on stop system ? Is not solenoid leaky ?

Yuri B.
10-06-2009, 06:32 AM
And has somebody checked up the actual work of the protective devices ?
You probably will not find out the reason untill you opened the compressor up for repair. When reinstaling the reparied, or a new one, having changed the oil, etc, check just everything before putting to work the system.

lowcool
10-06-2009, 12:09 PM
35 amps could be locked rotor amps,how big is compressor

littleyapper
10-06-2009, 05:58 PM
the only suggestion i can come up with is that when cleaning the condensor he blew crap into the fan motor and it stopped .... or just out of luck ...it happens... welcome by the way!!!

Kp3
10-06-2009, 07:18 PM
cond fan faulty, comp electrics i.e. capacitor or relay, if three phase is there a phase down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Entropie
10-06-2009, 08:28 PM
The compressor does usually benefit from condenser cleaning. Even if the condenser fan failed, the hp cut out switch should have stopped the compressor. I suspect it was just bad luck, but after replacing the compressor you should start a thorough investigation.

lowcool
13-06-2009, 02:33 AM
35 amps the windings are still their.more than likely compressor has seized.only by metering the windings or visual inspection you will find out the true fault.i dont think your mate erred at all only that condenser could have done with a clean earlier,i generally blame the client as it is basic housekeeping

engine
13-06-2009, 05:33 PM
thanks for all the relys.he hasnt got back to me yet what the problem was,but ill let you know when he does..thanks..

Magoo
14-06-2009, 01:19 AM
The damage was probably done with high condenser temps, now you are picking up the result.