PDA

View Full Version : moving freezers

karlveit
08-06-2009, 02:59 PM
I have heard that bubbles can form in refrigerant lines if a freezer is not moved upright. If this is true, how much tipping and for how long is necessary to cause the bubble? Can the bubble be eliminated just by running it and waiting?

taz24
08-06-2009, 06:21 PM
I have heard that bubbles can form in refrigerant lines if a freezer is not moved upright. If this is true, how much tipping and for how long is necessary to cause the bubble? Can the bubble be eliminated just by running it and waiting?

Do not worry about bubbles.

You can do what you want with the freezer even stand it upside down if you want.

The only problem you need to be aware of is the oil inside the compressor needs to be in the compressor before the thing starts.

So you can do what you want to the freezer, just let it stand for an hour before you switch it on to ensure the oil is where it should be.

There is a slight problem you could physicaly break a freezer by damageing a pipe or knocking the internal workings loose inside the compressor but for the most part you can do anything you want as long as you let it stand a short while before running it.

taz.

Ps in my opinion you do not need to let the thing stand after moving, but for the slight chance that the oil might not be in the bottom of the comp it is worth letting it stand a few mins.

Brian_UK
08-06-2009, 11:03 PM
I would also caution about turning it upside down.

You might break the springs supporting the motor inside the compressor.

But, as Taz says, be careful and sensible and all should be well.