PDA

View Full Version : Sanyo cuts out below 19c help please.

deviant1966
07-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Hi, I recently had a Sanyo SAP-CR124 installed. My installer failed to mention the unit will NOT run if the outdoor temperature is below 19c! This is terrible for us, our living accommodation gets very warm despite low outdoor temperatures of around 5c at night.

Ive done a lot of searching and believe this is caused by a thermistor stopping the compressor if the outdoor temperature is below 19c.

Is there a work around to stop this, can the thermistor be bypassed or removed? Any help or advice please.

NoNickName
07-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Why don't you just open the windows?

deviant1966
07-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Errrmmmm..... Outside noise.

bowral fridgy
07-06-2009, 03:52 PM
install a ducted fan to bring in fresh air and save power running a compressor

desA
07-06-2009, 04:21 PM
May I enquire as to why the compressor won't, or shouldn't run below 19'C? Seems incredibly high, would have thought it'd comfortably go lower.

If it's a problem with oil viscosity at low temp, could a heater be fitted?

If the compressor integrity is not an issue, could the thermistor setting not be adjusted to lower the cut-out temperature?

deviant1966
07-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Not really the answer I was looking for, I want to know if there is a way to run the air conditioner with an outside temperature of less than 19c. I'm not looking for other alternatives.

Yuri B.
07-06-2009, 04:58 PM
It is a news to me: an AC prevented from operation at 19 C. Put a resistor corresponding to 20C instead of the thermistor - only forget about warranty on your AC.

Yuri B.
07-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Is not it possible, how says DesA, to change the setting ?

deviant1966
07-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks desA, do you know if the thermistor will be adjustable? It does state in the service manual that outdoor minimum DB is 19c, this causes us problems.

al
07-06-2009, 05:17 PM
as these are primarily residential units the factory must have deemed no cooling requirement below 19 ambient.

As Yuri says fit a resistor which fools the unit into thinking its 22c all the time, only problem will be no warranty. I would contact the installer first though to point out that you require cooling all year round, maybe they could help you out?

al

deviant1966
07-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Ive found the outdoor thermister on the service wiring diagrams, and im not worried about warranty, can you please tell me how to decide the value of the resistor or exactly which one I should put in? While I am a new here I am technically confident using soldering irons and the like! Thanks in advance.

Yuri B.
07-06-2009, 06:01 PM
If there is no PCB in the outside unit and if the outside air sensor's leads go to the inside unit's PCB,
measure the resistance of the (plugged off on the PCB) outside air sensor resistance when outside air is over 20C.
That, probably is not the outside air temp at this moment at where you live. Then, presupposing the outdoor air sensor has identical characteristics to the indoor air sensor, deplug and measure the resistance of that one (at the temp over 20C).
Cut leads and solder instead of the outside air sensor the corresponding resistance (of any wattage).
Plug in the "would-be thermistor".

Yuri B.
07-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Solder in a resistor no matter of which power 0.125 W, 0.25 W, etc

brunstar
07-06-2009, 06:44 PM
nice one, this unit is probably a fixed speed compressor and simple controls, fit the fixed resistance to the outdoor thermister, watch it pump liquid and smash the compressor and then buy something worthwhile, you are best to try a different unit and sell the one you have while it is still working.
If you require cooling when it is 5 degrees outside try the daikin ururu sarara and you can bring in fresh air which will cost you nothing to run.

Yuri B.
07-06-2009, 07:25 PM
It would be better if the ouside unit had at least a fan speed regulator - not the outside air control set to the arbitrary 19C (why not 20 C or 18C ?).
But, indeed, Deviant should be made aware of the risk to his AC's compressor - the AC's "heart" .

Yuri B.
07-06-2009, 07:28 PM
I saw overcharged ACs pumping just pure liquid in the system. Maybe Deviant will too have a luck?

Yuri B.
07-06-2009, 07:32 PM
I mean, after removing half the charge they were working properly.

Brian_UK
07-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Surely he meant to say that the indoor unit can not be set to lower than 19°C.

Have you tried to run the unit at an ambient of less than 19°C yet?

[edit]
Copy of the technical and service manual if you want it...

http://www.sanyoaireacondicionado.es/webgestion/intercambio/Manual_Tecnico_SAP-KCR74-94-124EH_da070862b2038c17c7b943e6181f96a7.pdf

You are correct, the specification does show that 19°C DB is the outside low temperature.

NoNickName
08-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Why would anyone want to run an a/c at a room setpoint higher than the ambient temperature. It is beyond me.

desA
08-06-2009, 08:15 AM
^ For enclosed spaces, insulated from the outside, for whatever reason - here, it is noise.

A very interesting scenario that perhaps the designers overlooked?

deviant1966
10-06-2009, 02:04 PM
You're right desA, I recon its a big oversight on behalf of the designers.

We are able to run the unit with low outdoor temperatures however the compressor only comes in for 5 minuets then cuts out for 5 minuets and so forth.

So frustrating!

RedEye
11-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Hmmm......No low ambient control? If this it not fitted then it will not operate below 19c.
It is common to have AC units operating in the UK at low ambients due to fully insulated rooms, not energy efficient but practical.

Yuri B.
11-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Any AC can be made operable at low ambient - only provide condensation regulation.
As such refit (of the outside unit) is expensive, and as this Sanyo, probably, is sensing too low temp at the inside coil - because the fan outside works continuously - I would (have tried to) use a simple capillary thermostat with its bulb inserted into the evaporator, and wired through it the lead to the outside fan. Set point at above 0 C.
It is not a recommendation to anybody, just a momentary thought.

techguy
29-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Hi D,

Apologies for the late reply Been away.

Anyway when you say your unit stops at 19 degrees C do you mean it stops operating or goes into alarm????? and stops operating.

Assuming its the second simply install a
fan speed controller to the outdoor unit EG Eliwell Fasec 33 type . and a relay to bypass this on heating operation. and your problem is solved I would recommend you ask a fridge guy to do this for you.

The Sanyo SAPcr124EH is the cheaper of the Sanyo Domestic range and as such has limited operating range.

An inverter SAP unit can operate to
-15 in cooling same as Daikin /Mitus etc.

if you need any more help with the above drop me a line

Regards

T