PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Installation

Rodders
06-06-2009, 03:59 PM
I’d be grateful for a little advice regarding the installation of a domestic split system. Being of the frugal persuasion I am mounting the indoor and outdoor units, along with the condensate etc to save a few bucks. I’m also running the refrig lines so all I’ll need an A/C man to do is flare the ends, pressure test etc and set to work. I have all the bits, and I have bought some ‘Larkin’ TNC wall anchor clips as they seemed to be the simplest way to run the pipework down the wall outside to the outdoor unit. You simply drill a hole, knock in a peg and attach a pipe mount.
I was expecting the clips to mount around the insulation, but they are only sized for the pipe; as I have un-split insulation, is there a way I can use these mounts and make a neat joint in the armaflex or do I just need different clips?
Cheers

Prince Vaillant
06-06-2009, 04:48 PM
The clips, if they are hydrazorb type should already be insulated?

Brian_UK
06-06-2009, 11:16 PM
TNC Clips......

http://www.tnc-clip.co.uk/tncwallanchorcli.html

You may have to change your clips, they don't look as though there will be any 'insulation' effect with the plastic.

However, what you could try is cutting a small slit in the insulation to allow you to feed the open clip in and around the pipe. Once clipped down then you can reseal the slit to maintain the vapour seal.

Magoo
07-06-2009, 03:42 AM
Mate I will install for nothing, you pick up the airfares.

Rodders
07-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the responses. The brackets are odd in that there are three holes in the bracket for 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8" pipe meaning they are large, and it will look a mess if the insulation is cut around. They were bought from a large UK refrig fittings supplier so I thought they'd be better designed. I will be buying alternatives...

Also thanks for the offer of free fitting, when I get a few thousand more air miles I'll give you a call. ;)
Thanks

Karl Hofmann
08-06-2009, 12:37 AM
Those TNC clips should be sized to fit over the insulation.. Good idea, but my local RPW doesn't stock them