PDA

View Full Version : Promac portable air conditioners

Lancelot
04-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Hey guys, calling to all you experts out there!! We have a portable Promac, model number : PM29CM, serial: 2001420, the unit works ok but the only drawback is that the compressor is running freaking hot
( compressor RECHI number: 44R261A
serial: RL22GC0151) I've put a thermometer on it and it reads 140 degrees fahrenheit :rolleyes:. It had some rubbers things on the high side tubing and it melted :eek::eek: But the supply temperature is fine 46 degrees F, the amps is 8.2 and the pressures are fine.
What's the acceptable working temperatures on the compressor body.
I know that it worked a long time with a dirty condenser, we cleaned it good but stills run hot. I work in an hospital and we have a few of them ( about 50 )
and it's the second time this happens.
Can't wait to read your quality answers.

Thanks

Gary
04-06-2009, 03:16 PM
If it is a rotary compressor the body is part of the high side and should be hot.

(You can tell its a rotary compressor if it has an accumulator welded on the side of it)

Lancelot
04-06-2009, 04:08 PM
If it is a rotary compressor the body is part of the high side and should be hot.

(You can tell its a rotary compressor if it has an accumulator welded on the side of it)

It is a rotary compressor, but it's the first time, well actually the second, that I come across a compressor THAT hot, like I said, there are some anti-vibration rubber things that are glued on the lines and they literally melted, I've had rotary compressors on window units and that problem never happened...and don't you find that 140 degrees F is way too hot ??

Thanks for your quick answer friend

Lancelot
04-06-2009, 05:44 PM

I just saw something on the internet from a news group claiming that these units were over heating and were catching on fire...troubling!!!:confused::rolleyes:

Lancelot
04-06-2009, 05:47 PM
I just saw something on the internet from a news group claiming that these units were over heating and were catching on fire...troubling!!!:confused::rolleyes:
heres the thread
http://newsgroup.derkeiler.com/Archive/Soc/soc.culture.quebec/2007-06/msg00526.html

it's in french but you surely can translate it.

Yuri B.
04-06-2009, 06:26 PM
I would reduce the load on the poor thing (the comp.) - by reducing air flow through evap. Maybe it (comp.) then gets some less superheated gas and becomes less hot.

Gary
04-06-2009, 06:57 PM
It is a rotary compressor, but it's the first time, well actually the second, that I come across a compressor THAT hot, like I said, there are some anti-vibration rubber things that are glued on the lines and they literally melted, I've had rotary compressors on window units and that problem never happened...and don't you find that 140 degrees F is way too hot ??

On the contrary, it is my understanding that 140-160F/60-71C is ideal. Keep in mind that the case is at discharge temperature, not suction temperature.

Gary
04-06-2009, 07:00 PM

I find that extremely hard to believe.

Gary
04-06-2009, 07:00 PM
What is the compressor inlet superheat?

Lancelot
05-06-2009, 12:12 PM
I do too Gary find it hard to believe, I will run some tests on other rotary compressors, I think that the problem could be that the compressor is not ventilated like window units...in these portable air conditioners the compressor is not ventilated and is in a closed space. By the way Gary, could you please tell me specifically how does an accumulator works and it's purpose, we've been having discussions about it at work and if I win my bet, I'll e-mail you your share, HA HA!! I thank you a zillion times Gary for you quick and quality answers.

Lancelot
05-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Check the link...but I'm not sure the compressor is the cause...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqHwVAiI-ZQ

Gary
05-06-2009, 04:04 PM
If you look closely, the electrical terminals shorted out on the top of the compressor.

Lancelot
05-06-2009, 07:21 PM
If you look closely, the electrical terminals shorted out on the top of the compressor.

Yup !! You are right !!!:D

Yuri B.
05-06-2009, 08:50 PM
I never saw an AC's comp ventilated, on the contrary, they are "clothed and buttoned".
On my view, portables should be better chosen oversized for a premises as lots of outside air is being brought in (replacing the condenser off exhaust air).

Lancelot
05-06-2009, 09:41 PM
I never saw an AC's comp ventilated, on the contrary, they are "clothed and buttoned".
On my view, portables should be better chosen oversized for a premises as lots of outside air is being brought in (replacing the condenser off exhaust air).
Window units ventilates the compressor, with most of the units the air is sucked in by the sides, goes over the compressor and into the condenser, I never saw a window unit clothed and buttoned, unless it's a heat pump.
I like this forum.

Gary
05-06-2009, 09:57 PM

Rotary compressors are different. The compressor is part of the high side of the system. Other compressors are part of the low side of the system. On a rotary only the inlet is low side.

Yuri B.
06-06-2009, 07:13 AM
Anyway, we speak here not about a window AC but a portable, and I can see from the anti-ad. that its comp is "clothed and buttoned".
By improper use it is possible to ruin everithing.