PDA

View Full Version : City Refrigeration are coming to Australia

FreezerGeezer
02-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Like the title says, City have come to an agreement with Coles to be their sole refrigeration provider. :(

So it's a long time since I had anything to do with City, and I'm wondering what are they like to work for? What are the outline T&C?

Over here word is you get 5 stores, and are expected to be on standby 24/7/365 for those stores. :mad: Some say no, it's on standby for your region 1-in-3. What's the truth?
Pay scales I've been told here are rubbish. Salary based, about 40-55K below what a busy frigie would expect to make a year with overtime.:eek:

Comments please?

WebRam
03-06-2009, 07:28 AM
As far as I know, you work in pods of 4, stand by would then be 1 in 4.
Not sure what your salary would be but in the UK it is towards the top end.

FreezerGeezer
03-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks Mr. U. Hope all's well with you.

Anyone else have an opinion / information?

750 Valve
03-06-2009, 12:33 PM
I've heard pretty much what you have alluded to, although if one is alotted 5 stores and spends all day every day working on those 5 stores to minimise breakdowns, then when you go on call 1 in 4 (servicing 20 stores) you should receive bugger all call outs (if you are doing your job properly anyway). The whole thing seems to be based on putting the mechanic in charge of their own destiny - reduce the calls and the salary is worth it (based on $110-120K + super + car), do nothing in the stores and suffer additional after hours thereby making it not worth it. A good mechanic will get the cash they need and reduce the calls.

Interesting times though, I guess its all just speculation until they actually start hiring and the word gets out

Magoo
05-06-2009, 06:47 AM
Word has it "do not go there " the only group / company making money is City Refrigeration. The super market tossers love the concept. You may as well kiss life and family good by and camp on site. You will be screwed big time. Glossy numbers, but read between the lines.

Goober
05-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Who are City Refrigeration?

WebRam
05-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Word has it "do not go there " the only group / company making money is City Refrigeration. The super market tossers love the concept. You may as well kiss life and family good by and camp on site. You will be screwed big time. Glossy numbers, but read between the lines.

I don't work for City but I used to a few years ago.
I worked in a pod of 4 engineers and once the stores got knocked into shape it was great.

The problem comes if the stores you service don't want to spend the money to replace crap equipment, otherwise I had no issues with City Refrigeration.