PDA

View Full Version : What is your take home pay?

graezybee
01-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Hi guys,

Im thinking of becomming an air con engineer...

Whats the salary like?

Is 30k a reasonal estimate?

Brian_UK
01-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Kind of a personal question for your first post.

eggs
01-06-2009, 11:48 PM
let's just say you will be paid weakly........very weakly......

eggs

Blueboy
02-06-2009, 06:53 AM
I think you are asking the wrong question. The first thing to ask yourself is do you have the drive, personal commitment and mental ability to do a job like ours.

If the answer is yes prepare you self for five to seven years fairly low pay and fairly long hours with very little thanks or praise from anyone.

Once you have some knowledge, may be the knowledge, you will be worth every penny someone is prepared to pay you. This will depend on your location; engineers earn more in the south of the UK, but probably work longer hours. They can earn even more if they work central London, but commitment and stamina are very much the key factors to do this.

I summary, yes you can earn a lot more than many people think and that you suggest, but you will train hard and once you have achieved the standard required, you will need to work very hard. If money is you motivation, find another profession this one isn't for you

Jules P:confused::mad:

hyperion
02-06-2009, 09:37 AM
You mention take home pay and salary, there is usually a considerable difference between the two, dependant on your tax code.
As Blueboy has said, if you are hoping to get rich quick, not in our trade.
Probably good money can be earnt if you are very keen to learn and remain enthusiastic, however at present with many employers reluctant to take on more staff, getting into the trade may take you a while.

Quality
02-06-2009, 10:35 AM
It seems to be quite lucrative being a politician these days :D

Argus
02-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi guys,

Whats the salary like?

That's not nearly enough. Who can live on 30K in this day and age?

I'd hold out for at least 50K, plus a company car, if I were you. You'll earn even more with overtime.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

TRASH101
02-06-2009, 11:30 AM
I'd hold out for at least 50K, plus a company car, if I were you. You'll earn even more with overtime.

Don't forget the generous expense account. My moat would be full of weeds and sticklebacks without it.

hyperion
02-06-2009, 12:13 PM
And the weed control on the heli-pad. There will probably be quite a few vacancies soon if the press are correct, best get your name on the list as the new jobs will go fast.

graezybee
02-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Ok.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Can I get figures though? What do you think is the going average?
By experience?

Is the demand low/high?

*Made a fool of myself mentioning the £30k in a "take home pay" thread where I it would be around £20k after tax/ni...

So, whats the average?

Magoo
03-06-2009, 02:41 AM
It can be along time from starting as a trainee, to earning a reasonable income. There is no such thing as a free lunch in this trade.
You do the hard yards and learn, you will earn a comfortable income. It will take time, ie will not happen overnight.
magoo

aawood1
03-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Hi Graezybee,
The pay in this game can be good if you work long hours when the weather is hot and all you want to do is sit in the pub with a pint. Around is part pay is from 22K to
32K depending on what you work with.
Arthur

marc5180
03-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Where i work in the North West an average salary can be anywhere from 22k to 27k plus overtime on top if you are willing to work it.

Some guys at our company earn up to 40k but they sacrifice their home life by working long hours.

graezybee
03-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Interesting...

What is the demand like for air con engineers?

hyperion
04-06-2009, 09:35 AM
In the summer when it is hot and the customers have breakdowns, it is great, although no homelife. When it is raining and cold weather the work disappears. ou have to be prepared to put in the hours when the work is there and suffer the slack times. At the moment there are plenty of slack times, we might have the weather, but the customers are short of cash.

Blueboy
04-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Interesting...

What is the demand like for air con engineers?

The demand for the best is always high because there just not many out there. The best by the way usually are good at air-conditioning, control systems, water chillers, small fridges, cold rooms, blast freezers, Ice makers, packs and have a very good electrical knowledge and are great mechanically as well.

The problem is it takes about 20 years to get there. You can earn anywhere once qualified from 21K to 40K basic and top 55K with OT. It just takes along time to learn everything you need to know. Really its not about money, you have to really want to know how and why first the money comes in time.

Getting the first job with college is the first step and you will earn minimum wage probably for the first couple of years. Once qualified you will earn a bit more as you get better. Probably you could expect 21K within 3-4 years if you work hard and you are lucky to work with one of the best:D

littleyapper
05-06-2009, 02:29 PM
good engineers get looked after well...the prob with this game is it's unvalued and under rated.... we need to get joe public to realise that with out us a lot of places could not actually work.... new laws and regs are in our favour but it will take a while before our employers can charge more .......... and we get paid more... but you gotta love this game otherwise become a plumber

Victor537Boston
06-06-2009, 06:44 AM
I think the pay would depend where you are. Im a union guy as I'm sure many people may frown upon and I know in Cali they were around 48/hr and here in Mass 537 is around 45/hr

Obi Wan
14-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Hi guys,

Whats the salary like?

What!!!
You get paid to do this!!!
Damm I knew I was going wrong somewhere....lol

4 evr learnin
15-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Hey there Graezeybee ! Down here in New zealand, its possible to earn up to $80k $90k and thats doing some hard work, with crappy hours (which equivilates to $35k your money) but the thing about that is if you dont have the skills your not gonna get offered the work ! My advice is that unless you have a passion for the job, its not worth it! Stay in school ! management offers better money, with the downside being ingrown butt hairs !

paddyaircon
03-06-2010, 08:49 PM
mmmm- cold beer in pub on a hot july afternoon, or doing a compressor change on a daikin vrf------?

compressor everytime

El Padre
07-06-2010, 11:45 AM
I think you are asking the wrong question. The first thing to ask yourself is do you have the drive, personal commitment and mental ability to do a job like ours.

If the answer is yes prepare you self for five to seven years fairly low pay and fairly long hours with very little thanks or praise from anyone.

Once you have some knowledge, may be the knowledge, you will be worth every penny someone is prepared to pay you. This will depend on your location; engineers earn more in the south of the UK, but probably work longer hours. They can earn even more if they work central London, but commitment and stamina are very much the key factors to do this.

I summary, yes you can earn a lot more than many people think and that you suggest, but you will train hard and once you have achieved the standard required, you will need to work very hard. If money is you motivation, find another profession this one isn't for you

Jules P:confused::mad:

Well said Blueboy, could'nt agree more, you can earn a good living as a plumber, a lot less to learn, as long as you don't mind sticking your head where others stick their ar**s!:D

Cheers