PDA

View Full Version : diffrence between a surge vessel and reciever

dunny123
31-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Hi,i have come from a small refrigeration company to a big company working on supermarket kit.My question is,whats the diffrence between a surge vessel and a reciever?Thanks.

Yuri B.
31-05-2009, 07:50 PM
If I might be allowed to add also - hoping not to have messed the poster's thread: how receivers are classified? What types, categories there are? (I have searched the other threads - without success) . Thanks too.

Grizzly
31-05-2009, 09:46 PM
I may be wrong guys but a receiver holds hp.liquid.
Where as a surge drum hold LP liquid.
Both are designed to hold any surplus crated at differing stages of operation.
Usually used with a flooded evaporator system.
And also smooth the refrigerant flow etc.etc.
But are at opposite ends of the refrigerant cycle.
This is a basic answer and is not the complete answer.
But hopefully it helps?
Grizzly

taz24
31-05-2009, 10:32 PM
But hopefully it helps?
Grizzly

Thats how I think about them as well.
But Grizzly answered it better than I could.

Cheers taz

US Iceman
31-05-2009, 10:42 PM

I would agree with one exception: If someone says they have a surge type receiver then it may be one without a dip tube!

A flow thru receiver is what most of us are familiar with. The liquid flows into a top connection and leaves via a top connection. This last connection supplying liquid is the connection to the dip tube in the receiver.

A surge type receiver (used for high pressure liquid) is essentially an expansion tank. As liquid drains from the condenser the liquid backs up in the receiver if the liquid requirements to the evaporators diminishes. The liquid from the condenser continues to flow to the evaporators via the liquid line without flowing through the receiver.

This type of receiver allows you to keep any subcooling in the liquid line, instead of allowing the heat to be absorbed (loss of subcooling) if the liquid flows through the receiver.

lowcool
01-06-2009, 02:19 AM
always fitted surge tanks or equalizer tanks to the suction line of temprite (flooded) systems where their is lack of system capacity (piping area).the idea being that one increases system area to ensure longer run time of compressor and not short cycling,also enables better control of cabinet temperatures if no stats etc are used,balance your tx valves in static coil situation and you have simple system only prob is client has to defrost coils.

Yuri B.
01-06-2009, 06:09 AM
Hello to all. I still wanted to know about receivers classification - on the bases of construction, design, function, type of liquid (refrigerant, or possibly oil) they are intended for etc
Such like I found here mentioned the evaporators which may be:
-flooded
-thermo syphon
-shell and tube
-plate and frame etc.

What about reveivers? I can find here nothing about their types. Thank you.

Yuri B.
01-06-2009, 10:01 AM
A question with four variants of which one refers rightly to receivers - the other three are meant to mislead you is included in the test on refrigerant handling permission.
Are there in refrigeration ''absorption'' and ''vapour'' receivers, for instance?

lowcool
01-06-2009, 01:03 PM
vapour receiver would be an equalizer/surge tank,would absorption receiver be a drier or maybe combination receiver drier,news to me

US Iceman
01-06-2009, 01:49 PM
You need to be really careful with some of these vessel names. In different locations of the world geography some people use various names for a vessel. Receiver is one such word.

The phrase high pressure receiver is normally specific to a certain vessel, but it can have two types I am aware of. And, being that it is called a high pressure receiver you can be fairly certain it contains high pressure refrigerant and that its intended purpose is to supply liquid to the system.

The one other high pressure receiver type I know if is called a pilot receiver. This is used on thermosiphon oil cooling systems commonly found on screw compressors.

The low pressure vessels can be more difficult to understand because these have more applications.

Surge drum
Accumulator
etc.

One way to provide a distinction on the intended purpose of these vessels is this: If the low pressure vessel is a individual and separate vessel that prevent liquid from entering the compressor (say connected to suction piping only) it is an accumulator.

If the low pressure vessel is connected to a heat exchanger of some sort then you can consider it a surge drum.

Both separate liquid from the suction gas, however one does so on the heat exchanger itself.

Given that so many different names are used in the English language I can understand the difficulty in translating their names into a persons native language.;)

Yuri B. I suggest you start new thread on low pressure receivers so we can keep the two topics separate please.

Silhouette
06-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Hi Dunny123,
I suppose you are woking on the common supermarkets in the UK?
In which case the difference is that a receiver is in the liquid line and has a dip tube on the outlet so that it picks up liquid not vapour, on some new packs (Space Engineering etc) then you have a vessel on the liquid line and the liquid flows in and out from the same port, this is what they call a surge vessel. If you are looking at an old NRC envirogaurd system then you have a seperate surge vessel and an SPR (system pressure regulator) valve dumps liquid from the liquid line to this vessel when the liquid pressure get's 70 Psig above the AMBIENT temperature/pressure this liquid is then fed back to suction through an expansion device.

I hope this is of benifit to you!
Regards,
Silhouette.

Frank Day
07-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Hi Dunny 123,

To answer your question correctly you need to be more specific as so what part of the system these receivers/surge vessels are installed, ie hp liquid line ex condenser, compressor suction line etc.
Could please oblige.

Josip
07-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Hi, all :)

But hopefully it helps?
Grizzly

Yes, agree with all said in previous posts, but this is the general way how I would describe the differences between mentioned vessels ... another important difference is the material they are built of ... i.e. steel for normal or low temperature ...

Best regards, Josip :)