PDA

View Full Version : burn outs

joe magee
31-05-2009, 06:02 PM
I have a small Liebert mini mate. We had a leak in it we put dye in to find leak. System had burned out after dye was put in. There was a coating on every piece of the high side components. Compressor, piping, txv and plate condenser had to be changed. my question is did the dye cause the burnout? (create an acid enviroment) I have seen burn outs, but not to this extent. The refrigerant is 407C,poe oil. The smell was horrific. :confused:

sedgy
31-05-2009, 06:12 PM
we have been worned about adding stuff like this , in reality why add something when there are better ways of finding a leak without the risk of this problem you have experienced
all the best=

chemi-cool
31-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Was it written on the dye can what kind of refrigeration oil it is good for?

frank
31-05-2009, 09:25 PM
I have seen burn outs, but not to this extent. The refrigerant is 407C,poe oil. The smell was horrific. :confused:
Was the oil a black colour?

joe magee
31-05-2009, 09:31 PM
The oil was green. The dye was the yellow jacket brand. You use the uv light. The coating looked like green scale. Like what you would see on the outside of a leaking water pipe. It is acceptable for use with poe oil. The lieberts units use a three minute time delay on the low side. If the unit is low on charge it will run in a vacuum before it times out allowing non condensilbles to enter the system. My guess is this is what happened. An enviroment for an acid condition was created. The addition of the dye(which I did not add) might have caused a bad condition to get worse. I have used the dye in the past with mixed results.

:D

frank
31-05-2009, 09:41 PM
We've encountered system failures on R407C where the windings have burnt out.
When you open the system, the smell in horrendous and the oil is a thick black sludge. From our experience this is due to poor installation practices and moisture in the system.