PDA

View Full Version : Volume Displaced by a fan

kenichi
30-05-2009, 06:40 AM
Hi all,
I need some help with calculating the volume displaced by a fan rotating with a given speed. I'm really confused about where to start the calculations and where to accommodate stuff like blade angles and all which I don't know how to measure.

Yuri B.
30-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Fans have specifications, technical datas, one of which is air output in cubic meters per hour. Otherwise, you can measure the air flow using special instruments. But if you indeed suppose to start constructing propellers ...search somewhere in aeronautics, maybe.

Brian_UK
30-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Hi all,
I need some help with calculating the volume displaced by a fan rotating with a given speed. I'm really confused about where to start the calculations and where to accommodate stuff like blade angles and all which I don't know how to measure.
Thanks :)Whilst we appreciate your confidence in us all remember that this forum is more interested in refrigeration topics than the design of a fan blade.

You really need to discuss your needs with a fan manufacturer.

desA
30-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Hi all,

Do you know which fan you are going to use? If so, then go to the website & obtain their fan curves.

If you then provide further information on the system where you plan to use the fan, we can go a little further with your question.

kenichi
02-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Hi all, thanx for the replies

I'm actually planning to use the hot air convected from a refrigerating condenser coil to pre-heat the fuel for some other application. so at this stage all i know is temperature of condenser and the ambient air temp. so to do the h.t calculations i needed the flow rate of air and all.

Please help me if anybody has any idea on how to go about this. as you can see its nothing related to aerodynamics nor am i concerned about blade angles.

Thank you

desA
02-06-2009, 09:47 AM
It would be a good idea if you can provide a dimensioned sketch of your concept.

After that, I'm sure that the wise amongst the RE community, will be able to direct your thoughts. It's not too difficult.

NoNickName
02-06-2009, 10:58 AM
If I was you, I would buy a cheap anemometer on the ebay and start measuring the actual air flow.

TRASH101
02-06-2009, 11:24 AM
If you know how much duty the condenser is achieving you could work backwards using the specific heat to get an approximate air volume.
This route will be useful for calculating the available energy for pre-heating your fuel.

If the only information you have is the ambient and air off temperatures then you have got no chance.

Brian_UK
02-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Don't forget to allow for the reduced airflow from the condenser caused by your heat recovery device blocking the airflow.