PDA

View Full Version : Health complaints

4 evr learnin
26-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Hello fellow fridgee's, Having been in the refrigeration industry for 8 yrs im curious to know what ailments/health conditions (work related, obviously!) are prevailant in our industry. Lets face facts we are working with man made chemicals , oils and other mind altering substances ! Surely standing round in plant rooms enhaling hydrocarbons or getting covered in polyester oils is a hazard to ones health !

P.s I've never meet a sane old fridgee !!

glenn1340
26-05-2009, 06:59 PM
I`ve been in engineering for forty years and things have improved dramatically as regards health and safety (some would say to dramatically). I remember working on boilers lagged with asbetos and being told a decorators dust mask was ok to keep the dust out (never mind my clothing being covered in the white dust) and guys washing thier hands in red diesel.
I think I`ve come across most hazards in my time: Radiation, bio hazards, working at height, high pressure gases and high voltage equioment. Just got to keep you wits about you, all the permits in the world won`t help you if you don`t look out for yourself.

fowlie
26-05-2009, 09:59 PM
ive noticed in the last few years i seem to get this loud ringing in my ears mostly when i get home late at night from work it lasts for about half an hour then turns into a cold shoulder.this will last a few days then will go away for a while and then for no reason come right back again.spoke about this to workmates and we all agree its work relate.:D

cadwaladr
27-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Hello fellow fridgee's, Having been in the refrigeration industry for 8 yrs im curious to know what ailments/health conditions (work related, obviously!) are prevailant in our industry. Lets face facts we are working with man made chemicals , oils and other mind altering substances ! Surely standing round in plant rooms enhaling hydrocarbons or getting covered in polyester oils is a hazard to ones health !

P.s I've never meet a sane old fridgee !!
one thing you must do is have a leak detection system in a plant room,the best one is the one you use on service calls set it for the most sensitivity,make sure the room is well vented extract fans etc general safety wear ,gloves, overalls,ear defenders,i now suffer from back trouble,lifting heavy items in my youth,hands like a prune surface,eyesight not wearing goggles,ah if i could go back

Magoo
27-05-2009, 01:52 AM
I totally agree with Fowlie, and it gets worse with time.
magoo.

4 evr learnin
15-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Hey guys thanks for your input, I to notice the ringing in the ears , even wearing hearing protection! What im more interested in is the effects of onstant chemical adsorbtion over nuemorus years of working in the industry !?:confused: