PDA

View Full Version : Working on chiller, for cooling paper rolls, need advice

bharatbaldwa
26-05-2009, 06:17 AM
Hi all,

I am a 3rd year chemical engineering student and on my internship, I am asked to undergo an energy saving project, which requires me to work on a chiller, its primary and secondary heating circuits, and the distribution pipeline, which is used for cooling coating and calendering rolls. As I am very inexperienced, can someone who works on this kind of systems pls suggest me how/which fields I can start looking into to have energy savings.

Its an air based chiller, with four compressors, pumps are adjustable.

I would like a broad idea as to what all factors contribute in the working.

Thanks
Bharat

bharatbaldwa
26-05-2009, 06:21 AM
Hi all,

I am a 3rd year chemical engineering student and on my internship, I am asked to undergo an energy saving project, which requires me to work on a chiller, its primary and secondary heating circuits, and the distribution pipeline, which is used for cooling coating and calendering rolls. As I am very inexperienced, can someone who works on this kind of systems pls suggest me how/which fields I can start looking into to have energy savings.

Its an air based chiller, with four compressors, pumps are adjustable.

I would like a broad idea as to what all factors contribute in the working.

Thanks
Bharat
i think, some more detail wil be helpful, the compressed air is used to cool primary water, which in turn flows through a plate heat exchanger to cool secodary water circuit, which runs in the process, direct use of primarily cooled water was giving contamination problems due to coating materials.

bharatbaldwa
26-05-2009, 08:29 AM
also can any other liquid which has better heat transferring capacity, and doesn't have pumping problems can be utilized in either primary or secondary circuits instead of water. :O

frank
26-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Here's a little light reading on the basics

http://www.mcquayservice.com/mcquaybiz/literature/lit_systems/AppGuide/AG_31-003-1.pdf

bharatbaldwa
27-05-2009, 03:49 AM
thanx...that seems a lot of help :)