PDA

View Full Version : Carlyle 5H80

LoveNH3
23-05-2009, 01:53 PM
I take care 10 Ice Plants here in Iraq. We supply ice to the Military. Most of the machines are Vogt P24 and P34's. Recently we replaced a compressor on a P24 with a new compressor which are Carlyle 5H80. I have removed the plug on the control cover because we don't use pneumatics for unloading. The problem I have is, the compressor will not load up unless I turn the external henry valve all the way in, then listen for it to load up and then back the valve back out where the external hydraulic relays are located. If your familiar with the 5H80 external unloading, there is a upper and lower relay on a manifold. The oil pressure gage sits on top of a tee with a henry valve coming out of the control cover. If I leave this valve open just 1/4 turn it works fine. If I open it up any further it will not load back up after harvest cycle. On the Vogt P24's the compressor must unload completely during harvest and load back up completely during freeze. On initial start up there is a 30 second delay before the compressor will fully load up.The capacity control stem is turned all the way out so it will stay fully loaded. I have replaced the control cover Assembly. Any ideas

GHAZ
23-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Hello mate the external loading and uloading of carrier 5h -80 is quite simple ,you need a plate between the non drive end bearing housing and the dome and that shuts off the oil supply to the internal relays in the dome head and you put (3) 1/4 npt fittings in the side of the dome and using the compressor oil pressure and a themostat and solnoid valves to load and unload the cylinders at different stages .To use the compressors built in capacity control you need to wind in the valve stem ,which will give 100% and throttle the suction valve to desire pressure or temperature on the guage and slowly wind it out until you hear the compressor unloading and then stop and your capacity control is set

absrbrtek
29-05-2009, 11:23 PM
http://www.carlylecompressor.com/corp/details/0,2938,CLI1_DIV24_ETI9588,00.html#136141h

Magoo
30-05-2009, 04:28 AM
The Carrier 5H series are / were a beautiful machine, big and bulky slow and easy, ran for years with minimal wear. Great US tech, build it big , run it slow , and it will never fail. As 'Tim the tool man would say, Ahhh Ahh Ahh. "
OK , I'm old.
magoo

LoveNH3
08-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Finally figured out what was wrong. I should have known but never ran into this before. All you have to do is take off the blank off plate from the old compressor and put it on the new one. This is for external unloading. Live and learn. The blank off plate is stainless steel with two gaskets on either side of it This is on the pump end cover or the control valve cover which ever way you cal it.