PDA

View Full Version : Torque Wrenches

frank
17-06-2004, 07:37 PM
With R410a it is recommended that flare joints are tightened to a specific torque. Do any members use a torque wrench?

If you have or do, are you amazed at how little you have to tighten the flare to make a seal? Are we all guilty of over tightening in the past or are we still overtightening?

rbartlett
17-06-2004, 08:30 PM
daikin were giving those fancy torq renches for the 410a flarenuts a while ago

personally there are only two settings tight and f**king tight

i always use the latter!!

therefore i guess i overtighten -but i suspect i get less leaks that way..

i await to be disproved

cheers

richard

Argus
18-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Most of the Japanese manufacturers have, over the years, provided single setting torque wrenches for flare nuts.
Most fitter preferred, for their own reasons, to use shifting spanners.

There is no difference, in my opinion, between the torque settings for R22 and any other refrigerant.

After all, flares should be tightened once only, shouldn't they?

My personal experience of manufacturer's torque recommendations, over the years is that they are conservative to say the least,

Carrier used to provided torque figures and a tightening sequence for the head gasket on their big compressors (5 series). I tried using their settings on some occasions and gave up because of the leaks. Thereafter I reverted to a long tommy bar and soapy water. I suspect that I'm not alone in this.
________
Trollh?ttan Assembly (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Trollh?ttan_Assembly)

chemi-cool
18-06-2004, 12:22 PM
Hi Frank.

Will you be kind, and give us sme information of these torque wrenches, ie, manufacturer,internet address..... I know you will :)

Meanwhile, I'll keep using my shifters, like Argus amd most of the rest.

Chemi :cool:

Latte
19-06-2004, 11:41 PM
Hi Chemi-,
There is a company in the UK Called RPW.
Contact is Sales@rpw.co.uk

They have a set of Refco open ended torque wrench for R410 priced at £46.66

I won't even bother trying to convert this but it's about the cheapest i have found as yet.

Another useful one for tools in www.srwonline.co.uk
Not sure about export on either of these but at least you can get some more info.

Regards

Raymond.

PS Forgot to add, yes i do overtighten with a set of adjustables and use loads of leaklock.

PPS. I assume the only things you need these for is to fit suction/discharge flanges. doesn't everything else now need to be by law sweat fittings or am i just going mad :eek:

frank
20-06-2004, 04:51 PM
Nice one Raymond - and yes - you must be MAD :D :D aren't we all?

Abe
21-06-2004, 10:03 PM
The freindly " bod" at my local trade counter tells me engineers have been complaining.........The flare nuts on R410A systems are shooting off their threads !!

Can this be true???

frank
22-06-2004, 08:46 PM
Don't know about that Ayb but I've just snapped a service valve on a new cond unit while trying to make the flare. Didn't even apply lots of pressure ! :o

Bones
23-06-2004, 11:52 AM
we got the BBK torque wrenches, i was surprised at how tight is tight enough too frank :cool: i prefer to use 1 shifter and a torque wrench to tighten flares on splits etc i install now. its so easy and i hate it when ya shifter slips off and loose more knucle skin... always when you least expect it :(

i also bought he BBK 410 flare block with the accentric cone, does beautiful flares everytime, heaps better then the other imperial sets we have - every job flares look factory :D

really with the torque spanners not many people are fans... for me personaly they are growing on me and i like them, being service agent for alot of units it is always great to know if the flares were correctly tightened if loss of gas through loose flare is evident. also the same guys round town who do not use them because two shifters are good enough, should use one to know how 'tight' they need to squeeze lol.

shaunmadill
19-07-2004, 10:20 AM
Hi Frank.

Will you be kind, and give us sme information of these torque wrenches, ie, manufacturer,internet address..... I know you will :)

Meanwhile, I'll keep using my shifters, like Argus amd most of the rest.

Chemi :cool:

The Company that manufactured the Daikin kits is a UK manufacturer, Torqueleader, their web address is www.torqueleader.com.

They actually manufacture a kit specifically for the Air-con industry which I believe is available through Dean and Wood.

chemi-cool
19-07-2004, 02:18 PM
Thanks shaunmadill.

I will look into it.

Chemi