PDA

View Full Version : Wiring diagram for westinghouse r480rh

icemakerman
18-05-2009, 03:29 PM
can anyone help. this is an old fridge still on r12 firstly the fridge section is not cold... found evaporator iced up, turned timer (very tight) to initiate defrost, compressor continued to run, tested voltage to clixon(defrost termination?)mounted in air duct above evap whilst in defrost has 240v in 0v out,so seems to be twofold problem.My dignosis is defrost timer and clixon. are parts readily available in newcastle nsw? can newer defrost timers be wired in?does not appear to be wiring diagram on fridge so unsure if clixon is termination or safety/overtemp. Any help would be appreciated:)

Yuri B.
18-05-2009, 04:42 PM
I understand the fridge does not have any automatics and defrost is initiated manually, on detecting a too thick ice coat on evap (?) The klixon was open during defrost, closed after, thus seems to work good. If it is indeed intended to terminate defrost, was the defrost performed, after you turned that "tight" timer (is it like a mechanical clock)? Ice, at least, was gone? Does it perform cooling now? What temp is in the fridge section?

lowcool
19-05-2009, 08:19 AM
All your refrigeration wholesalers of repute should have universal stock to suit.Try stareast international 0297925988 they seem to carry a wide range of whitegood bits.from memory i reckon that all email/westinghouse units switched neutrals just to add to the confusion.

icemakerman
19-05-2009, 09:45 AM
ok sorry guys my first mistake its a kelly (kelvinator)...yes defrost is initiated by the timer... just wanted a wiring diagram to determine for myself if klixon in air duct was to terminate defrost ie: supply power to timer after temp rises or terminate power to heater ie: heater safety.
yuri I did not say " The klixon was open during defrost, closed after"
when i tested it was during defrost which i forced by advancing the timer manually and at that time it had 240 v supplied and 0 v on the other terminal which indicates to me it was open circuit.did not have a lot of time to look at it and one of the screws holding the evap cover was damaged and i was unable to test heater directly or determine if heater was supplied by this clixon.I can get the clixon and timer still locally but would have to order heater element. I dont wish to replace the clixon if before the coil is defrosted it should be open circuit

Yuri B.
19-05-2009, 06:41 PM
If there is voltage on a contact it is open (I just surmized that when there was 0 on you 'klixon' , it was closed). By 'klixons' as I know, are called pressure relays on tubes. I understand, yours is not connected to any tube. Then, better call it a fixed value thermostat.
But was the ice gone ?- you have not said. Make use of current measuring tongs (I, probably wrongly name here the instrument, maybe, clamps?). If you have not one, buy one, it is indispensible for you, for anyone who has to do with electr. Then you could make sure whether heater is good - without opening up the fridge.