PDA

View Full Version : Installing instructions

chemi-cool
17-06-2004, 02:16 PM
Hi guys,

Just finished to install a small mini split on my way home, having a cup of coffee with the client, from some reason, I've decided to to read the instructions.

Unit is made in China. When I got to the drain pipe section it say's: MAKE SURE THE DRAIN PIPE IS NOT GOING UP OR...........DOWN!!!???

That puzzled me for a second.

Now comes the question. Who is writing instructions for the manufacturers?

Chemi

Abe
17-06-2004, 04:18 PM
Forget the Chinese stuff................Have you read an LG manual........You have have thought at least theirs is better..

rbartlett
17-06-2004, 08:36 PM
wow chemi

installing chinese splits -is business that bad??

back when the japanese first got into the uk market we got all kinds of funny wording ( luckily they usually include pictures)

it's called jinglish

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Jinglish

cheers

richard
p.s get back to selling daikin !!

chemi-cool
17-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Hi Richard.

Business are just fine.

The system her is different, people are buying their own splits at electrical shops and then get someone to install them.

We don't get Japanese air-conditioners here. We make our own and they are very good.

A 9000 BTU unit from China costs here 160 GBP only.
That will explain why people are buying them.

Korean splits are even worst.

Chemi

rbartlett
17-06-2004, 09:07 PM
not that different
there are several companies offering splits on ebay promoting 'easy installation' kits..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14883&item=4308264418&rd=1

sooner we get registration the better :-/

cheers

richard

Brian_UK
17-06-2004, 10:58 PM
I always got the impression that the English version we got here in the UK was something along the lines of -- The English version of the Japanese translation of the original German.

I still chuckle when I find a simple Daikin unit with reasonable instructions on the unit electrical cover; but, you then look on the back of the remote control and there is a switch with ON/OFF under the lever and some Japanese/Chinese/Korean characters above it. Should I use this switch or is it just there to tempt me? :confused:

Abe
17-06-2004, 11:44 PM
[QUOTE=rbartlett]not that different
there are several companies offering splits on ebay promoting 'easy installation' kits..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14883&item=4308264418&rd=1

Looking at that E bay thing made me cringe............
Install yourself?????
What if they shoot a spurt of refrigerant straight into their eye???

Yes.........Roll on regisration........

halwaya
18-06-2004, 10:15 AM
Now comes the question. Who is writing instructions for the manufacturers?

Chemi

maybe they use some online translator :)

Peter_1
18-06-2004, 07:01 PM
wow chemi

installing chinese splits -is business that bad??

cheers

richard
p.s get back to selling daikin !!

Richard,
Don't talk me anymore about Daikin.
1. Since March delivery end of June. Now received message for units ordered in May with delivery end of July. Simple wall splits.

2. Last summer, they started selling wall units till +/- 5 kW via the supermarkets. In the box is a voucher whereby the client can call an installer in his vicinity who will install the unit. The installer sends the voucher to Daikin Belgium and they pay you.
So what, you think now? well, they pay you +/- 225 GBP for that (+/- 400Euro) This is your profit on the unit, copper tubes, electrical supply, soldering, and... 2 years warranty.

Same story for Carrier.

Then I prefer to install a Chinese brand and make a little more profit on it.
Don't forget that many Mitsu's and Daikin comes also from that part of the world, perhaps not China.

I think we can't stop that anymore: the small splits will be for the DIY market, just like a small fridge or microwave.
When somethings is wrong, well... buy another one.

We had a call some weeks ago for such a split. Client phoned to his supplier for the warranty because there was some gas lost out of the unit (he thought because it wasn't cooling anymore and his friend has said that if it don't cool, then gas is gone)

Supplier said that a gas loss is no warranty.

I was alone when repairing, put on my manifolds, equalizing pressures seemed OK but no signal from the indoor unit. Control wire in the indoor was behind the screw instead of between it. Readjusted it.
But then, his bill: 'Yes indeed, all the gas was gone. We searched for the leak, found it sir, soldered it pressurized it with OFN, recharged it and feel now how good it's cooling now"

He paid tracer (didn't put in it) soldering (with silver sir!), vacuum oil (first time I did this) and a lot of money for the gas. He paid a total of almost 175 Euro plus taxes.

That's the way I solve this and they're asking for this.

benncool
18-06-2004, 07:33 PM
Hey, Chemi, I made it back!! In honor of you getting promoted to "moderator" I wrote this poem for you.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

BY benncool

They will be found in the drain pan.
Or wrapped around the evap fan.
Sometimes under the service van.
But never in the installer's hand.

THE END.

neil sailes
18-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Okay then how come they don't state on the instruction of shared compressor fridge freezers.do not store below 5 degrees celcius
Neil

chemi-cool
18-06-2004, 08:30 PM
Thanks Jerry.

Good to see you back on British soil ;)
That was touching.
I've printed it and saved it.

Thanks

Chemi

benncool
18-06-2004, 09:25 PM
Good to see you back on British soil ;)
That was touching.
I've printed it and saved it.

Yes, when this site switched formats I lost my short cut. I just edited my poem. "Wraped" has 2 p's in it.--wrapped.

English is my second language. American is my first. :)

RogGoetsch
19-06-2004, 10:23 PM
We had a call some weeks ago for such a split. Client phoned to his supplier for the warranty because there was some gas lost out of the unit (he thought because it wasn't cooling anymore and his friend has said that if it don't cool, then gas is gone)

Supplier said that a gas loss is no warranty.

I was alone when repairing, put on my manifolds, equalizing pressures seemed OK but no signal from the indoor unit. Control wire in the indoor was behind the screw instead of between it. Readjusted it.
But then, his bill: 'Yes indeed, all the gas was gone. We searched for the leak, found it sir, soldered it pressurized it with OFN, recharged it and feel now how good it's cooling now"

He paid tracer (didn't put in it) soldering (with silver sir!), vacuum oil (first time I did this) and a lot of money for the gas. He paid a total of almost 175 Euro plus taxes.

That's the way I solve this and they're asking for this.

Peter,

If I understand you correctly, you found the problem to be a bad control connection, yet you charged the customer for a major repair.

If I am misunderstanding you, please correct me.

Your final line is that "...they're asking for this."

Every crook justifies his theft by blaming the victim.

I hope I misunderstood you.

Rog

Abe
20-06-2004, 12:12 AM
Talking about " Chinese", sometimes I think we tend to think far too poorly about goods emanating from this part of the world....

This is probably an offshoot from bygone days when Chinese goods, were, yes,,,,,,,,,,,rather shoddy.

But like a tortoise........the Chinese are stealthily moving on and up the scale. There was a report here this week sometime that the UK is losing 140 000 jobs per year in the manufacturing sector.

Why?? Yes............companies relocating their manufacturing operations to the Far East, mainly.

All these Mitsubishis..........and LG's.......Not all are manufactured in Japan or Korea.........China plays a big part as well.

The strategy Chinese always use is price competiveness, to gain market share, they dont have branding capability, The Japanese can, and do........Made in Japan, speaks volumes.......Made in China...........probably not !!!

But, does not mean Chinese stuff is not up to scratch.......These guys make stuff for the big boys...........they sit and watch..........and make clone copy's

One Chinese company markets.........SG............not LG..........but looks the same.........ish !!!

There not daft........They know about copyright laW

frank
20-06-2004, 04:48 PM
So why have SWM just dropped Haier? Another Chinese clone. :confused:

Abe
20-06-2004, 05:31 PM
I tell you why...........because Britain is very Brand conscious........other countries, not as much.

Have you ever seen any kid around here without a " swoosh" on his Nike trainers?

Is a Nike better then one without the swoosh........?

Dont they all come from some sweat shop in Thailand?

But for the name, you will pay another 50 plus percent