PDA

View Full Version : Ice cream display freezer

Andy AC
12-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Hello guys, I have had the misfortune to have to look at a big old ice cream, serve over, scoop, display thingy. Unit is prehistoric, originally on R502, but over the years, has had an electrolux condensing unit on R404a nailed in it.
The machine freezes up every couple of days so the ice cream is removed and the machine switched off to thaw out. The previous engineer has told them this is what they have to do.There does not appear to be any form of defrost, no sign at all, no wiring, so I presume the old condensing unit had a timeclock, and/or hot gas setup. I was thinking of putting a timeclock on the comp feed from the t/stat, but as there does not appear to be any defrost heater,or hot gas available, makes me think I would be pissing in the wind a little bit. I know the circulation fans would still run but would it be enough on its own?
Don't have much details on the machine, as far as I can remember it was Italian - COF ?

Any thoughts appreciated

Andy

Gary
12-05-2009, 08:54 PM
I was thinking of putting a timeclock on the comp feed from the t/stat, but as there does not appear to be any defrost heater,or hot gas available, makes me think I would be pissing in the wind a little bit. I know the circulation fans would still run but would it be enough on its own?

Nope. Even back in prehistoric times, ice wouldn't melt without a heat source.

chillin out
12-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Nope. Even back in prehistoric times, ice wouldn't melt without a heat source.
And Gary would know....lol

Can you upload a picture of it for us Andy?

Chillin:):)

Andy AC
12-05-2009, 11:13 PM
I'll take one when i'm passing next

abet_meneses
13-05-2009, 01:18 AM
Andy AC

Even in old units run by R502 in a standard open freezers there should be a defrost whether hot gas or electric.air defrost doens't help.Just thinking .it might be a chiller before?

Magoo
13-05-2009, 04:54 AM
Hi Andy.
Any signs of hot gas defrost piping, reversing vavs, anything obvious.
Otherwise respectfully suggest they drop into the 21st centry and purchase a new cabinet, it will say a lot of time on there part.
magoo

Andy AC
13-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Andy AC

Even in old units run by R502 in a standard open freezers there should be a defrost whether hot gas or electric.air defrost doens't help.Just thinking .it might be a chiller before?

I was thinking that last night.

Magoo, absolutely nothing, no obvious pipes or valves, controls, just the feeds to the fans and the lighting.

Andy

123-steve909
13-05-2009, 01:08 PM
freezer on off cycle defrost??

i would put a electric defrost heater on it and a controller that could be programmed to run it.

i had to add my 2 pence worth!!!!!

Andy AC
13-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Had a word with a very helpful chappie who deals with these Cof things. With the details I have given him he is 99% sure it should of been hot gas defrost, but is going to check the archives to confirm and find out a bit more, and email the details to me. He is also concerned that there is no timer in the control panel.
Whatever happens, its gonna cost to put right, so I expect the usual emptying and manual defrosting will carry on until it dies again.

Andy

lowcool
14-05-2009, 04:52 AM
strange the italians made something that is not hot gas.havent seen anything else here accept prehistoric static coil with u bend heater underneath