PDA

View Full Version : Smelly oil!

aircon50
12-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi all. First of all, I am fairly new to RE.
Looking for some assistance, please. I was called to service a 3.5KW air con system on R407C. System runs fine with no problems - but - when I removed my gauges, the bit of oil that always seems to escape from the gauge line was absolutely stinking! Clearly the oil is contaminated, and the question is - What is the most cost effective way to clean the system.
There seems to be a difference of opinion regarding the use of chemical flushing agents. Yes, they clean, but are difficult to remove residue. Or, should I remove compressor, drain oil and replace and then blow system through with OFN and put a drier in system.
Any assistance appreciated - there is a wealth of experience out there, but not too many to ask here in the Canary Islands. Thanks. Graham :confused:

Yuri B.
12-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Perception of smell differ - what your (or my) nose feels as stinking might be scented as normal to a profi refmechanic. Leaving aside the qwestion of what made you to open the system which "run fine", I must say that I have never seen our mechanics cleaning AC pipes - even in case the compressor burnt and pipes' inside is sticky and stinky indeed(might have missed an instance - but sure, it's not their rule). I'm interested too.

Toosh
12-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Hi all. First of all, I am fairly new to RE.
Looking for some assistance, please. I was called to service a 3.5KW air con system on R407C. System runs fine with no problems - but - when I removed my gauges, the bit of oil that always seems to escape from the gauge line was absolutely stinking! Clearly the oil is contaminated, and the question is - What is the most cost effective way to clean the system.
There seems to be a difference of opinion regarding the use of chemical flushing agents. Yes, they clean, but are difficult to remove residue. Or, should I remove compressor, drain oil and replace and then blow system through with OFN and put a drier in system.
Any assistance appreciated - there is a wealth of experience out there, but not too many to ask here in the Canary Islands. Thanks. Graham :confused:

Hi Can you get a sample of the oil and acid test it, if the oil is grey there could be moisture present. I dont know if the new oils react to moisture like that, as I have been out of the industry for 20 years

Norm

aircon50
12-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Thanks Yuri B. System was not opened, other than connecting gauges, but smell noticed when removing gauges after annual service. This house has 5 similar units fitted, none of the others have oil of the same odor, or color. (Not installed by me, I hasten to add). My 'nose' has been around refrigeration oils in excess of 35 years and I like to think that I am professional..... But maybe that's for others to judge. But that aside, thanks for your reply. Graham

cadwaladr
13-05-2009, 01:17 AM
acid test first /burn out drier/s retest sight glass the usual, dont mend it if its not broke

Magoo
13-05-2009, 03:05 AM
On a system of that small capacity, it would not be cost effective to start any service recovery program. Obviously the system and oil has been stressed to create the smelly problem. Advise client of problem and sell them a new system when it finally dies.
magoo

D.D.KORANNE
13-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Change oil , flush it , charge fresh oil , operate system . But important is the liquid line filter which may need a couple of replacement before the smell could be eliminated.

nike123
13-05-2009, 01:09 PM
I would advise to do the same as that you have compressor burn-out. Change oil and proceed as described here (http://www.hvacrinfo.com/cope_ae_bulletins/TAE1105.PDF).

Sorry, ignore!
I just saw that you speak about AC 3,5kw unit.

icecube51
13-05-2009, 03:55 PM
is the compressor showing any difficulties??? is the performance not good enough???
if non of the above,let it till he dies and replace the complete unit than.

Ice