PDA

View Full Version : Muffler (Discharge Style) in Suction Line

Grizzly
08-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Just wondering if anyone can make sense of a Muffler fitted in the suction line.
To a chiller Compressor?
Grizzly

nike123
08-05-2009, 09:42 AM
[0003]The suction muffler has, several important functions to the adequate operation of the compressor, such as: to direct the gas, to attenuate the noise resulting from pulsation provoked by suction, to thermally insulate the gas being drawn into the cylinder, and to control the dynamics of the suction valve.
http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20090038329

US Iceman
08-05-2009, 02:05 PM
On larger reciprocating compressors used for gas compression these are called pulsation bottles. These provide the same function you are asking about Grizzly.

The problem you might encounter in trying to use a discharge muffler on the suction side are:

The location of the muffler baffles are designed to reduce noise which can be turned into vibration in the discharge line. I call this acousticly induced vibration. With the higher gas density in the discharge line the baffle spacing and design is based on the energy in the gas stream.
With the higher energy levels (gas pulsations and acoustic energy) the baffles design may create a pressure loss that could drastically affect the compressor performance.

From a technical view though you are exactly correct.

Grizzly
09-05-2009, 06:50 AM
Thanks both for replying.
Can you actually purchase Mufflers specifically for a Suction Line application Iceman?
The original dilemma is that an ex colleague of mine asked my opinion.
As he needs to replace what turned out to be a muffler in a chiller suction line.
His problem is that according to the manufacturer Ciat.
This is a post manufacture modification!
Hence the confusion and my original question as to why one would be fitted in the first place!
Grizzly

US Iceman
09-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Grizzly, I am not aware of any manufacturer that makes a suction muffler per se. Someone may have tried a discharge muffler and it may have produced reasonable results, however, I would be afraid to use one without knowing what the pressure loss impact would be.

This might be a case of fix one problem and another appears!

nike123
09-05-2009, 03:07 PM
http://www.techauto.net/compressor-mufflers-air-conditioners-refrigerators.html

Grizzly
09-05-2009, 07:11 PM
http://www.techauto.net/compressor-mufflers-air-conditioners-refrigerators.html

Thanks Iceman.
We were of the same opinion.
Then we get the left curve from Nike!!!
Well done mate.
Just how many computers have you got running.
Your search database must be huge?
I see suction muffler as listed.
What I was shown looks more like the external mufflers shown!
I will pass the details on and once again thanks Guys.
Grizzly:D

nike123
09-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Just how many computers have you got running.
Your search database must be huge?
:D

Only one Acer 5610ANWLMI 1.8 GHz 60 GB HD lap top connected to 2Gb flat rate ADSL connection.
That is 19th result at Google with search term "suction muffler".;)

It is not about muscle, it is about know-how, and in this case it is pretty much peace of cake!:D

taz24
09-05-2009, 09:43 PM

I have cut a few of them open in the past and the ones I've seen also act as a suction accumilator as well.

Cheers taz