PDA

View Full Version : Articmaster- Vortex Technology

Mish
06-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Hi All.

I had a couple of sales reps visit my company today trying to sell me a product called Articmaster.
This is a device that is fitted after the condensor and before the TEV. It allegedly works by altering the flow of the refrigerant coming out of the condensor so that it then spin around the inside walls of the pipe rather than travelling down the middle. It also increases the speed in which the refrigerant travels.
The main selling point was that it WILL save around 20% of running costs on the system.

I am sceptical to say the least, does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this product?

Mish
06-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Ive found this link which explains the technical bumf

www.energyideas.org/documents/Factsheets/PTR/ArticMaster.pdf

US Iceman
06-05-2009, 06:35 PM
I would be skeptical.

It claims to solve just about anything except global warming and it is probably only a matter of time before someone says the potential energy savings reduces the carbon footprint.:rolleyes:

Mish
06-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi Iceman

Have you come across this before, apparently it has been patented in the US for a number of years

chemi-cool
06-05-2009, 06:55 PM
If anyone had a prooven gadget that saves 20% energy from any system, they would not need salesmen.....

I wonder how2 many units have been sold and what the "victims" that bought it have to say;)

US Iceman
06-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Hi Mish.

No, I have not seen this gizmo before. About every two years or so I see a new invention that will cure hunger, save energy, etc. My perception is the seller makes more money than what the future victim saves.:)

Having a patent only means someone spent a lot of money with an attorney to protect a device and that the patent examiner agreed with the written text to support the patent application (my opinion only).

If all of these claims were viable... why isn't there line knocking down their door to purchase one?

US Iceman
06-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Hi Chemi. You said it exactly right.

Brian_UK
06-05-2009, 07:30 PM
The data is some years old according to that web document.

I note also that the link to "Articmaster" goes to a web search page with nothing to do with the product.

Overall there does not seem to be any quantifiable results put forward to support the use of the gizmo.

I would suggest keeping your condensers clean and working out from there ;)

Abby Normal
06-05-2009, 08:12 PM
I saw a presentation on it years ago, called the Talon RMS

Video had a lot of bubbles in the liquid line leaving the unit, so i figure any energy savings was equated to a capacity reduction.

Same seminar was also hawking magnets to put on your fuel lines that would give you improved mileage in your vehicles.

I was wondering if they squeezed the oil out of a cobra or an anaconda myself

US Iceman
06-05-2009, 10:16 PM
I was wondering if they squeezed the oil out of a cobra or an anaconda myself

Probably a side-winder.;)

Articmaster now
07-05-2009, 05:25 AM
The Articmaster product works, and it does save 20%.

Articmaster also makes a product called the RMS-1 for the evaporator side which saves an additional 8% to 10% or more depending on the A/C equipment.

It's good to be skeptical. It's also good to do your homework. Check it out. There is a new Articmaster website, articmasterinc.

Segei
11-05-2009, 09:34 PM
The Articmaster product works, and it does save 20%.

Articmaster also makes a product called the RMS-1 for the evaporator side which saves an additional 8% to 10% or more depending on the A/C equipment.

It's good to be skeptical. It's also good to do your homework. Check it out. There is a new Articmaster website, articmasterinc.
Every energy savings can be estimated. Can you give us the numbers about energy savings? How did you get 20%? Can you compare regular operation(ref. cycle, heat transfer coefficients and etc.) and operation with Articmaster?

bala.oswalds
25-11-2010, 04:29 AM
Yes. I am installed and achieved 20 to 33% energy savings in difference capacity in India. Articmaster innovative product in air con industry. Articmaster define "Optimize Refrigerant".

Tesla
25-11-2010, 05:03 AM
I know this is an old thread but I want to put my five cents worth in. I saw this technology about five years ago at a trade show and am sceptical about 20% savings maybe 5 - 10%. Also the fact they managed to patent it - it is Viktor Schoubergur Technology and has been known about for more than fifty years. I would increase fluid flow rate without power loss. An interesting book on this subject I will recommend Callum Coats Living Energies.

Segei
26-11-2010, 03:30 AM
I know this is an old thread but I want to put my five cents worth in. I saw this technology about five years ago at a trade show and am sceptical about 20% savings maybe 5 - 10%. Also the fact they managed to patent it - it is Viktor Schoubergur Technology and has been known about for more than fifty years. I would increase fluid flow rate without power loss. An interesting book on this subject I will recommend Callum Coats Living Energies.
You think it works. Can you explain how does it work? Surprisingly, this "magic device" improves operation of condenser and evaporator at the same time.:eek:

Tesla
26-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Hi Segie
Basically by increasing fluid flow and reducing friction by creating the spin which a fluid would naturally want to form during a flow.
Just think about how water flows down a drain pipe - it spirals down the outside. There is more scientific reading from Perry's Chemical Engineer's Handbook, on falling film heat exchange (check it out). Strangely when say in a river the coldest water flows in the middle spiraling. From a visit to the Palmerston North Massey University (I was shown that) in an evaporator the liquid spirals on the outside for heat exchange. When I look at basic theory (Roy Dossat) the maximum fluid flowing through a pipe flows through the middle with a corresponding higher pressure. Sure I think this device is exaggerating the percentages of savings but it does make a difference.
Only 400 years ago we were taught that the world was flat.

Segei
27-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Let's have a look at their statements.
Increase fluid(refrigerant) flow. Refrigerant flow depends of compressor and TEV capacities. Assume that this flow increase. So what? It will increase(a little) heat transfer in liquid line, but we need good heat transfer in condenser and evaporator.
Articmaster reduce head pressure. Why? How? If condenser use full heat transfer surface, impossible to improve heat transfer.
Colder refrigerant at the edge. I'm very doubt that this happen. Assume this happened. What about warm refrigerant in the middle? Where is going? Through TEV or back to the condenser:(
It is nothing to discuss. I found more than dozen stupid statements without any prove.

Sridhar1312
27-11-2010, 05:49 AM
This product has come to India too and we believe there are some installations where they claim between 20 to 30 % saving in energy. How long it sustains need to be checked. the product is exorbitant i.e Indian Rs. 70000.00(USD1550) for 8.5 TR DX air cooled packaged unit

Payback period is around 1.5 years for 10 hours operation

Tesla
27-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Gentleman
There appears to be some confusion about this technology.
I am very sure the technology works. I am very sure the product claims of savings are very exaggerated. There would need to be an equal test at the same time with the same conditions to prove it - one with the device installed and one without. Perhaps also one system with the device installed in a bypass pipe solenoid operated. This would settle the question.
Another question would be the rip off cost of the device considering it could surely be shown they have stolen it from Viktor Schauberger (Callum Coats). If this technology increases flow of liquid through the liquid line without any increased power input it will increase cooling in a refrigeration system.
Other considerations are: We currently design our heat exchangers in square blocks, just think about the aerodynamics of that - are planes or cars that shape? All we need is a funnel (basically) to form the spiral flow - and how cheap is that. This technology has far more reaching applications than just refrigeration

Segei
27-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Energy savings is an engineering issue. It can be and should be explained. If they can not explain these savings, it means this is snake oil. This information come from stupid snake oil salesmen, because their absurd statements are on the surface. Sometimes people can give explanation and numbers that looks right at first. In depth analysis will determine what is wrong with these numbers. These are smart snake oil salesmen.

mad fridgie
27-11-2010, 11:34 PM
Increasing mass flow through a refrigeration system is down the the compressor (normally refrigerant density)
This product in MY opinion, is based upon a vortex tube where using some physical properties high and low energy density flows seperate, one becomeing colder the other becoming hotter, effectively sub -cooling the liquid, hence increase refrigeration net cooling effect. The hot flow is thrown to the out side of the vessel, where heat energy is released to the surrounding air, hence more sub cooling. The spiral effect in the evap tubes is a different product "XTX".
Re the price if this did indeed have payback of 1.5 years then in my opinion is well to cheap.
Patents are complicated (I know i have a few) In many cases it is not the technology it is the application. The technology may be known but if they were the first to apply to this application, then they should have protection for the idea. Most ideas are easy when some one has done it.
I do believe that this product will improve the efficiency of a system, but 30% well thats possibly the best not the average, and more than likely on a poorly performing system in the first place.

Segei
28-11-2010, 01:06 AM
At this point nobody explain me about improved condenser performance.
Vortex. Where does it happen? In liquid line. It is not designed for heat transfer. Outside area of liquid line is not increased and coefficient of heat transfer from air to pipe in very low. Even if this separation will happen, no significant subcooling, because the low heat transfer coefficient(air to pipe) will have the most influence on total heat transfer coefficient.
The same scenario in evaporator. People try to improve high heat transfer coefficient(refrigerant to pipe) and not too much you can do because boiling has very high coefficient. Low coefficient(pipe to air) will have more influence on total heat transfer coefficient.

research
02-03-2011, 06:20 AM
Vortex heat transfer...
Wow...
If this device increases capacity by the amount claimed... it would be VERY EASY for a testing laboratory to substantiate the claims. The manufacturer Articmaster should just send a unit to the ETL testing laboratory and have the a unit tested to ARI standards with and without the device. The test results would be clear proof to anyone involved.
The cost of a certified test is minimal compared to the profits they can make with documented energy savings....
As an air conditioning manufacturer, we send units to the testing labs every year to have our published capacities verified. Its the law.
Mr. Arcticmaster... show me your test results from a certified testing lab and I will buy one. Until then, it is just snake oil to me.

socotech
03-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Why isn't Trane, Carrier, York, etc. all over this?

chillerman2006
03-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Why isn't Trane, Carrier, York, etc. all over this?

Hi socotech

why are they not all over this too ?

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?32763-Carters-Widget-Revealed-(Just-Facts-Nothing-Else)

or maybe they are

As 'Mad Fridgie' can tell you R&D does not happen over night mate

And with all new technology, there are many hiccups to over come to refine it and find the perfect application to use it on....thens theres cost, not just R&D but to get the product out there at an affordable price...if you can not price it right, it dont sell !

R's chillerman

Sumit
04-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Except Tesla , only new users (who make their accounts just to speak in the favor of Articmaster) supported this instrument.All engineers, who spend their whole life in RAC and are masters of this field proved the fact.If there is any hidden truth, then I hope Mr Articmaster will surely explain it here.