PDA

View Full Version : Capillary tube calculations

chiller563
01-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Does anyone know of a software / freeware program that will calculate the replacement length of a capillary tube. I have the Danfoss program for sizing new tubes but cannot locate anything for cross referencing. The paper charts never seem to cover all the sizes.

Chill

MrMark
20-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Chiller,

I am looking for the same thing. I've got the Danfoss program, and have also found one from Tecumseh, but I can not get them to correlate with each other, or with any of the paper charts that I can find.

If anyone has anything, please let us know. I am trying to develop a method of retrofitting old coke boxes with R-134 when the compressor's have died. In fact, I've got one on my back porch right now that need's some help.

Thanks all in advance!

chemi-cool
20-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Danfoss has a free software called DanCap. Try it out.

icecube51
21-06-2009, 09:15 AM
if the box was on R12 before and you want to retrofit on R134a, you have to change nothing,maybe the cap lenght, but all the rest stays the same. just be sure it is oil free,and the pipes are clean before mounting the new refrig (R134a).

Ice

ps; that is when the comp has died and you mount a new one,an R134a based.

lice to chill
19-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Chiller,

I am looking for the same thing. I've got the Danfoss program, and have also found one from Tecumseh, but I can not get them to correlate with each other, or with any of the paper charts that I can find.

If anyone has anything, please let us know. I am trying to develop a method of retrofitting old coke boxes with R-134 when the compressor's have died. In fact, I've got one on my back porch right now that need's some help.

Thanks all in advance!
I recently retrofitted about 200 drop in systems from r22 to r404a I found the cappillary lengths on the internet and the conversion tables from local suppliers manuals.I oversized them and cut them back to achieve optimum performance.

lice to chill
19-07-2009, 01:20 PM
I know im new but i did the cap length thing once for each model.

Bluestar
04-08-2009, 11:40 AM
in india 1 of major refrigerator manufecturer named 'godrej'
says wen retrofiting R12 system with R134a u should increas capalary length 10% and also increas condensor length 10% and clean the system properly. hope this would b helpful

Wantstoknow
05-08-2009, 05:16 AM
These charts might be helpful. I hope the attachments work. I've included a handout from supco.

Brian_UK
05-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Thanks for those Wantstoknow.

For a direct link to those sheets try here

http://www.supco.com/Manuals.htm and click on the "Cap Tubing Ref".

Also download the "Cap Tubing" manual, a good read.

aaron_k
23-11-2009, 06:01 PM
OK, let's not talk about software that calculates the cap tube length. The software from Danfoss is suspect (based on other postings here). I see a reference to books that are introductions to refrigeration mentioned from time and again. What is the title of the book that contains all the formulae surrounding cap tube design? In other words, the formulae that form the basis of any simulation. Any titles come to mind?

glenn1340
23-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks for those Wantstoknow.

For a direct link to those sheets try here

http://www.supco.com/Manuals.htm and click on the "Cap Tubing Ref".

Also download the "Cap Tubing" manual, a good read.

Great link there Brian, thanks.

Chef
24-11-2009, 05:21 AM
OK, let's not talk about software that calculates the cap tube length. The software from Danfoss is suspect (based on other postings here). I see a reference to books that are introductions to refrigeration mentioned from time and again. What is the title of the book that contains all the formulae surrounding cap tube design? In other words, the formulae that form the basis of any simulation. Any titles come to mind?

There are quite a few papers on this subject and the following links are a good start.

http://www.sjtuirc.sjtu.edu.cn/news/2004.Intensive%20parameter%20analysis%20of%20adiabatic%20capillary%20tube%20using%20approximate%20an alytic%20solution.pdf

http://www.scienceasia.org/2002.28.n1/v28_071_076.pdf

Both are good referances but there is not a simple formulae that can be used on your calculator!!

Chef