PDA

View Full Version : 1995 TK direct-drive made in England

vtmpnate
01-05-2009, 03:41 AM
Hi guys. We're working on a used truck from Japan equipped with a direct-drive Thermo King using r404a. It's unlike most of the Thermo King systems I've seen.

It has been worked on (massacred is the more appropriate word, actually) already by somebody else. The original compressor has been replaced with a used Toshiba. Inline driers installed on the liquid line and (get this) on the discharge pipe. From what I can make out from whats left of the condenser label, the condenser model is Cond 900, made in England in 1995; it's an aluminum serpentine coil. The evaporator is made in England and model no. is E1400, manufactured in 1995. Very unusual as it is very slim and uses three axial fans. The axial fans are like the low-profile ebd fan assemblies used by European refrigeration system manufacturers. The system has a Japanese/European feel to its design. At least thats how it looks to me.

Our market here is very price-sensitive, and owners push their trucks and systems up until the very last inch of their service lives, and then some. I would like to return it to its original specifications and was wondering if anyone could help me with the compressor displacement and expansion valve specifications for this unit. Thanks for any and all advice.

abbsnowman
01-05-2009, 05:20 AM
I'm thinking the word "specs" has no place in this conversation. LOL
What do you have that works? I would (based on $ your saying), make it hold gas, put an on / off switch, a thermostat, a binary, (hi/low pressure switch), on it. Make sure fans work and send it on its way.
I'm not back yard by any stretch but if your forced to marry this thing, make her easy to fix.

vtmpnate
01-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Haha! I hear you, abbsnowman. That's pretty much the idea now. All the fans have been tinkered with beyond belief, and are past any hope of revival. All the pressure switches are gone, the defrost solenoid is gone, discharge temp switch and cooling solenoid (if there were any) are gone, original microprocessor is gone, the liquid inlet and outlet of the heat exchanger plugged up. It's a sorry sight.

Still, I'd like to do the best possible job under the circumstances. I hope one of the guys from across the pond can tap out a reply soon on compressor displacement and TXV details.

ps. can't help but notice that you live in Canada. Any chance that you're in/from Abbottsford BC? Just guessing from your handle.

tran scot
01-05-2009, 06:56 PM
sounds interesting ! as far as I know the only units that "TK" made in england were the last of the "Petter" days.And they never done direct drive as such except for hydraulic "Hy's" & some hydraulics using the volvo pump. Don,t think they were still on the go in 1995.I thought the direct drives back then were "Frigicoll" and those came from spain? The only other units that use numbers like these are "Gah" and "Hubbard" they are made as well in england but as far as can remember they have 10/9 numbers on plate wereas "Gah" start their numbers with either an "E" for evap & 5 numbers or "C" for condenser & 5 numbers Hows about some pictures and mabey somebody else can remember when the last units came off the line at Hamble !!! anybody for a pdl

abbsnowman
02-05-2009, 01:10 AM
Sorry but its vertualy impossible for me to give you advice on compressor displacement ot TXV because I don't know what we are dealing with. The most common compressors we use are 10 - 15 Cui.
Got a picture of the unit for me?
Oh, and yes I am in Abbotsford but thats not were the name came from. It was originaly abominable snowman but it was too long. It's has kinda just become my nickname to everyone now. (Abbs)

vtmpnate
02-05-2009, 02:18 AM
Hi tran scot. The evaporator and condenser are off the truck and currently disassembled for a thorough cleaning. The condenser is chassis-mounted. I will try to post photos as soon as they are re-assembled. I think that this particular system we're working on was expressly developed for the European/Japanese market, since Thermo king was already marekting the V-090 and V-250 in the US and to the rest of the world during the 1990's. Totally unlike anything they have come out with until the China-made V-300 and V500 they're selling these days.

sounds interesting ! as far as I know the only units that "TK" made in england were the last of the "Petter" days.And they never done direct drive as such except for hydraulic "HP's" & some hydraulics using the volvo pump. Don,t think they were still on the go in 1995.I thought the direct drives back then were "Frigicoll" and those came from spain? The only other units that use numbers like these are "Gah" and "Hubbard" they are made as well in england but as far as can remember they have 10/9 numbers on plate wereas "Gah" start their numbers with either an "E" for evap & 5 numbers or "C" for condenser & 5 numbers Hows about some pictures and mabey somebody else can remember when the last units came off the line at Hamble !!! anybody for a pdl

vtmpnate
02-05-2009, 02:32 AM
Hi abbsnowman. I will try to send photos after we finish re-assembly. Yup, those are pretty much the same compressors we're working with. Speaking of which, can you point me to anyone who keeps stock of OEM or aftermarket York 206/209/210 shaft seals in the Greater Vancouver area? I have a requirement for a few of these seals; my sister lives in Richmond and can buy these for me. You can email me direct at vrsatemp@globelines.com.ph if you wish. Thanks!

Sorry but its vertualy impossible for me to give you advice on compressor displacement ot TXV because I don't know what we are dealing with. The most common compressors we use are 10 - 15 Cui.
Got a picture of the unit for me?
Oh, and yes I am in Abbotsford but thats not were the name came from. It was originaly abominable snowman but it was too long. It's has kinda just become my nickname to everyone now. (Abbs)