PDA

View Full Version : hourly pay v shifts(Salary)

panda
01-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Space and now WR have decided to opt for this in respect of new health & safety laws plus impending changes to EU opt out.What to you think? what shifts do you want to work????????????

CJG21
01-05-2009, 04:23 PM
What sort of shifts will they be working? Will this be the end of call-out for the engineers?

julius Geezer
01-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Shift work and salary will not work ! You'll find the cheeky t***s will roster your day off just after a night shift , which is nice ! And don't forget , IF you refuse to do the shifts then they HAVE to pay you redundancy !!!!

Power to the People

Right on !!!!!

coolhibby1875
01-05-2009, 08:41 PM
hi panda i work for wr this is news to me!

Magoo
02-05-2009, 01:46 AM
Generally speaking salaries here are based on a nominal 45 hour week. And if the employer is half pleasant they will pay extra hours at a flat rate.
Check the conditions of employment contract.
In a word salaried people are screwed.
magoo

richelli
02-05-2009, 09:05 AM
The eu opt out got kicked out last week so its just down to any health and safety laws

NIKK38
05-05-2009, 07:55 PM
For anyone finding themselves forced on to a shift pattern. The following was taken from the government employment law advice site:-

Disagreeing to changes in your employment conditions
Sometimes your employer will want to bring in a change to your contract that you don't agree to. Find out what your rights are if that is happening and how you can raise your complaint.

What if you and your employer don't agree?
If you don't agree, your employer is not allowed to just bring in a change. However, they can terminate your contract (by giving notice) and offer you a new one including the revised terms - effectively sacking you and taking you back on. Your employer would be expected to follow a statutory minimum dismissal procedure. They may have to follow a collective redundancy consultation process if they plan to do this to a group of employees.

raz5
05-05-2009, 10:21 PM
If this is the case then dont forget your T&C's. Ive been through this via the TUPe route and its a bitch , If this happens your screwed as employers are taking advantage of the current credit crunch and manipulating the the HSE to work in their favour. Yes they want to preserve a workforce and the company but at what cost, It causes ill feeling and a "them and us status" Negotiation is a big factor in any structural change as in hours/shifts and salaries. Just my two pennies worth:(

panda
07-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Guys:rolleyes:

At Space they have gone through the 90 days consultation,its 1 to 1's next week, then beano,its all bin done kosher but still no talk of money.Is this the shape of things to come??????????????????

fowlie
07-05-2009, 11:15 PM
this will be the straw that broke the camels back for alot of guys if this is the way the industry is going,i for one wont be accepting a salary and working ot for no pay.
is it just me that thinks us supermarket guys are getting a raw deal,jobs used to be really good now is it anywonder that we cannot get engineers into the trade:mad:

Silhouette
08-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Hi Panda,
It's better than the PM's who got redundancy notice yesterday and the four admin staff who joined them!

NIKK38
09-05-2009, 08:02 AM
How can a Company change your contract when within the consultancy period they don't tell you what your new working shift will be and you don't know how much you'll earn. All you do know is the date things will change.
They treat everyone like mushrooms - kept in the dark and up to your neck in s#*t.

bill1983
09-05-2009, 02:48 PM
check with some of the guys that work for city it seems to work there but i don't know the full t&cs

jjthefridge
28-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Guys:rolleyes:

At Space they have gone through the 90 days consultation,its 1 to 1's next week, then beano,its all bin done kosher but still no talk of money.Is this the shape of things to come??????????????????

Well, salary and shift due to start at space on the 1st june, put back to 15th now, but hay ho it ain't my problem no, now ex space man and glad, but still living the dream.

j.j.:cool:

cadwaladr
29-05-2009, 01:03 AM
if your working more than 45 aweek tell them to shove it,unless your holidays are longer ,itmaybe in your favour to negiate better holidays

Magoo
31-05-2009, 01:20 AM
Supermarket service providers have always been given the short straw. It is about time the service industry providers started to call the shots.
Questin ? who is making all the money. Not the service providers, let alone the service techs.,
I had the fortunate occassions to have a drink with a Supermarket executive after a trade seminar, he was half trolleyed and thought I would keep his glass filled and see what happened.
He explained the money making cycle of super markets. So to cut the story short: All transactions are cash or EFTPO. In the bank daily, average city store a million a day, that is transferrred to the cash spot market for thirty days at pa interest rate huge, no suppliers paid before 30 days, deliveries daily for stock, invoiced weekly [ six days free credit ] add payment after 30 days. Now can you begin to understand the huge profits made for minimal effort. He stated that his organization had say miminal 250 large site in excess of 1 mill.., per day sales. Do the sums.
Currently with the spot cash rate daily real low, they focus on suppliers, Fridge companies being a major focus, you and me service engineers, if one falls over there is always another back up company.
Like I said earlier, the industry has to make a stand.
magoo

fridgeontheroad
02-06-2009, 08:43 PM
The impression given from management at space is either accept the changes, or you have no job! everybody has been forced to accept but are looking for employment elsewhere! when you work a week of nights its a 63 hour week, but are on call for a further 35 hours during that week (between 3am and 8am) as nobody is on shift then.

jjthefridge
02-06-2009, 09:50 PM
The impression given from management at space is either accept the changes, or you have no job! everybody has been forced to accept but are looking for employment elsewhere! when you work a week of nights its a 63 hour week, but are on call for a further 35 hours during that week (between 3am and 8am) as nobody is on shift then.

Hi,

well i didn't sign it(refused as were not given second one to one as promised), and yes i knew what would happen and i was told indirectly, jacked in last thursday, start new job tomorrow.

j.j.

fridgeontheroad
03-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Hi,

well i didn't sign it(refused as were not given second one to one as promised), and yes i knew what would happen and i was told indirectly, jacked in last thursday, start new job tomorrow.

j.j.

Respect to you for standing your ground, hope all goes ok in your new job.

julius Geezer
12-06-2009, 05:11 PM
To be honest JJ if you refuse to sign the new contract then they have to pay you off ! Might of been worth sticking around if you had a few years service in...!

jjthefridge
12-06-2009, 09:49 PM
To be honest JJ if you refuse to sign the new contract then they have to pay you off ! Might of been worth sticking around if you had a few years service in...!

hi dude,

left couple of weeks ago, got new job anyway, but looking at taking matters further.

j.j.