PDA

View Full Version : 13 seer condenser vs. 8 seer coil

chucksmech
30-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Is there a way to install a 13 seer condenser to an existing 3 ton 8 seer coil with out upgrading the coil? Would adding a TX valve & 2.5 ton condenser work without liquid problems back to the compressor. Is it possible to add more coil surface to the existing evaporator coil?

Thank's chucksmech

frank
30-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Hi Chuck

You are mixing different terms here. SEER if an efficiency rating, i.e. how much energy is used.

The outdoor and indoor units are sized to do a refrigeration DUTY, either in kW's or BTU's. The rating of the coil and condensing unit should idealy be matched so that you have a balanced (energy efficient) system.

If you pair up miss matched units you will end up with problems.

chucksmech
01-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks Frank,
I have a 3 ton condenser & a 3 ton evaporator rated at 8 seer. I may just walk away from the job. I know I need to match both units but in the past we have installed 13 seer condensers to existing 10 seer cooling coils adding an XP valve & have had good results. It's done quit commonly here in MA. In this case i'm reluctant to do this but the customer doesn't want to spend any more $$$. I thought by undersizing the condenser & installing a tx valve it would be a close. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Chuck