PDA

View Full Version : Time bomb

neil sailes
08-06-2004, 08:35 PM
Hey all
Yesterday we had a customer complain that her fridge was a time bomb just waiting to explode. The cabinet was just a double door under bar unit. One of our field fridgies had been out to repair it twice, so in the end he changed the compressor to an R600a one. ( even though when it was returned to the workshop the condensor was totally blocked )
Anyhow one of the land ladies patrons said he "new about fridges and when this one blows it will take the pub with it".
Anyway now we have a fridge that didn't work come back to life all by cleaning the condensor. What annoys me is that in the instruction leaflet it says in bold letters clean the condensor weekly.
I have never worked outside the workshop or factory enviroment, so I was wondering is this a common fault?
Neil
:)

Brian_UK
08-06-2004, 11:02 PM
I have never worked outside the workshop or factory enviroment, so I was wondering is this a common fault? :)

Oh, yes, far too common.

The end user doesn't / won't pay for proper maintence and the end users' staff cannot be made to clean it even if they were ever asked.

The instruction are also very rarely read by anyone who has any interest in the operation of the equipment.

No offence to the ladies here but.. of which gender is the car driver who actually reads the car manual ??

chemi-cool
09-06-2004, 04:10 AM
I will fregive the ladies for not reading the manual of the fridge(how many of them know what is a condenser and where to find it?)

but its these men that think they know everything and at the end of the day I get a call to fix the air-conditioner and the only foult was that the remote is set on heating when its 35C out.

nobody read any instructions. :(

chemi

Gary
09-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Shame on the field fridgie who replaced the compressor. The blocked condenser should have been obvious to him.

neil sailes
09-06-2004, 07:45 PM
Its not the first time that we have had a fridgie order a cabinet uplift stating that a compressor had failed, when it was just a blocked condensor. So when we spoked to the company that contracts with us and told them, they said they will have the fridgie in for training, but if he doesn't understand the basics now he hasn't got a chance.
Saying that I have manufactured fridges for years, until the company I worked for went bust and yet out of 130 staff not one had a gas handling certificate. So now I repair them and I go to college to get my C&G.
Neil

frank
09-06-2004, 08:35 PM
Good on you Neil - I'm all for training. It's not Basford Hall is it?

Gary
09-06-2004, 09:52 PM
I recall discussing service training with the supervisor of a large service company. He had compiled data for all of his service contract customers and non-service contract customers, in order to show how regular maintenance under service contract saved money, resulted in fewer emergency service calls, and extended the life of the equipment. Imagine his shock when he discovered that the opposite was true on all counts. His customers were better off without service contracts.

The quality of service training in this industry is downright appalling.