PDA

View Full Version : Daikin Inverter board failures

Greengrocer
29-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Just wondered if any of you guys out there have had any problems with Daikin VRV inverter boards failures latey - VRVII or III.

Recently we changed a board and a compressor on an REYQ8M8W1B unit (U2 fault) and 1 day later after a rain show another Inverter board went on a different unit on the same site (RXYQ18P7W1B).
When removing the old board our engineer noticed what looked like water marks on the back of the Inverter board heat sink. The latest one to go has the same water marks.
According to our engineer it looks like water is seeping in around the condenser fan bracket which is attached above the Inv board box.

To make matters worse it appears to be std proceedure to change the compressor with the inverter board. :mad:Crazy if there's nothing wrong with the comp - the subject of an earlier thread.

Now this may be coincidence but I'm not so sure. If water ingress is the reason for the board failure then there should be no need to change the compressor. More to the point is this not a manufacturing / warranty issue. Anyone else out there with anything similar?

wingman
29-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Now that I have seen this thread, I think I need to investigate something on a RZQ250 (skyAir) unit that needed a new inverterboard. I still have the faulty one at the office. I'll check that out and see if it also has water traces.

laf100
29-04-2009, 08:59 PM
I have not had the water damaged board problems myself, but I would always recommend changing the comp' after an inverter PCB failure. Although the comp' may check out OK, who is to say it won't start to suffer insulation breakdown of the windings, maybe after extended run times or high frquency operation.
If it's a warranty inverter PCB failure, Daikin will usually insist the comp is changed, and give you one under warranty, therefore when its out of warranty we always change them as a pair. If you don't & the PCB fails again, it starts a whole chain of arguments about whose fault it is, and it all gets kinds messy!!

:cool:

Just my 2 penneth!

ork20
30-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Hi there, just been reading up on your VRV11&111 invertor board problems. Firstly i have not found any problems with water damage to any boards and would recomend changing the compressor after each invertor board failure, saves any hassle.
Secondly i would look into any transportation damage or installation movement incase of movement of panels etc. Anyone with any ideas.

cool#9
01-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Hi everyone it's an interesting thread...
I had inverter board failure on VRV II and III due to rain water passing on the top it...
Anyway it's possible to test the board in mode 2 code 28 - disconnect the inverter comp first -.
Also the AC voltage on U/V/W while running is about 190 VAC under 52 HZ to reach 390 VAC under 210 HZ, - except for 8 HP= 266 HZ - .
Soon i'll change an inverter comp due to abnormal noise on VRV II then i'll check the comp on usual power supply under 400 VAC 50HZ, while the comp is outside of course, this could be helpful to check the current passing the coils out of refrigerant charge...
rgds
cool#9

Greengrocer
11-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Hi Guys. Here’s an update to this story.
Even though it was in warranty we took a chance (gut feel) and only changed the board on the 2nd inverter board failure. As it turned out the compressor was fine (phew) and it took 2hrs instead of the 2 days it would have taken if we had had changed the compressor as well (reclaim gas / replace comp / vac –out / pressure test / recharge / re-commission). We also had a Daikin field engineer come out to witness the changeover, inspect the boards and the installation generally.
He agreed there appears to be water damage on both Inverter boards which might be caused by the suction effect of the outdoor fan drawing water into the inverter board panel. He’s off to check with Daikin Europe for any other known reports &/or fixes. Question is why are these boards suddenly going now on systems that have been in and working for 2-3 years? It’s not as if we’ve had no rain for that time!
More to the point what’s stopping the same problem happening again to the new boards?
Until I hear back from Daikin I would suggest you guys check any inverter board failures / U2 faults (vertical discharge fan VRVII & III 2-pipe & 3-pipe) for evidence of water damage before electing to change the compressors as well. The difference in cost to a customer for a board only vs a comp & board is considerable.
If I get any more news I will update this post.

mekaniko5
18-05-2009, 02:51 AM
I’ve been seeing a lot of complaints in the threads about inverter board failing. This are becoming the common mishaps when dealing with inverter systems due to the sensitivity of its electronics. I'm from a tropical country and it doesn't sound promising that this happens often. Please do keep us updated with your troubles.

yinmorrison
19-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Now that I have seen this thread, I think I need to investigate something on a RZQ250 (skyAir) unit that needed a new inverterboard. I still have the faulty one at the office. I'll check that out and see if it also has water traces.

Me too on an REYQ10 , engineer changed the pcb not compressor as it checked out OK but 2nd board blew right away!!! so although it may not have been water ingress I will be looking into this. The real problem I find is telling the Customer that both have to be changed and then telling him the cost!

wingman
19-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Me too on an REYQ10 , engineer changed the pcb not compressor as it checked out OK but 2nd board blew right away!!! so although it may not have been water ingress I will be looking into this. The real problem I find is telling the Customer that both have to be changed and then telling him the cost!

2 boards ? ... Oh jeez. Prepare yourself with a defibrilator. :)

kcuk
21-05-2009, 04:32 PM
hi all if your invertor boards are blowing straighta away also check your fan capacitors as these cause the inverters to blow ( with some bang). and you do have to change both as faulty invertor board can nakker up the compressor and vice versa.....

kcuk
21-05-2009, 04:35 PM
balls my fault main board on vrv multisplits that happens to .... i never read the thread properly