PDA

View Full Version : *Read! Training Concern

jdunc2301
28-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Hey everyone i need some opinions im in a pickle i think...

I've been in the trade 4-5 years now, purely as a service engineer. Unfortunately doing a NVQ course in A/C & R wasn't really on the cards because no colleges near us did the course.
All training was work based, to gain some sort of competency certificates ive done:

Various manufacturers courses in A/C
LG x 2
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries

CITB Safe Handling of Refrigerants (Renewal in Sep 09)
CITB Pipework and Brazing
CITB Essential Electrics
CITB Refrigeration Electrics
Skill card due to be renewed next month

Considering im having the majority of responsibility over an apprentice come the end of the year, i think that speaks for itself that i know my stuff.

Im just a bit worried that with legislation changing and inevitably getting tighter over the next few years, that i will no longer be able to practice A/C & R without a City & Guilds NVQ2/3, i dont want to leave it to chance anyway.

Im aware that some companies offer NVQ2/3 by coming to site for accreditation.

What do you guys seriously think???

moondawn
28-04-2009, 11:17 PM
hi there jdunc2301
i am currently doing NVQ Level 2 At MANCAT in manchester. the course for me is a fastrack for someone who is competent and experienced enough to commision and de-commision and install and pre commision ac equipment. The course its self does not learn you anything whch is a dissapointment to me and all i do is jobs at work and create a portfolio with evidence.

it will be good to have the qualification but as for learning any extra its really poor.

cheers
moondawn