PDA

View Full Version : What are you thoughts about Digital Scroll Compressor technology?

mekaniko5
28-04-2009, 04:36 AM
What are your thoughts (good or bad) about Digital Scroll technology for Variable refrigerant flow systems?

Camalla
28-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Good. Low applied cost. Effective mechanical modulation technology. No issues with expensive high power electronics

littleyapper
28-04-2009, 03:17 PM
very good and have a fair few out there .... why there are called digital is beyond me:) it's all mechcanical bar the controls.... i think it's the way foward for energy saving etc... any way highly reccommended (and i dont work for copeland)

NoNickName
28-04-2009, 08:09 PM
It's digital because it is either on or off, like the boolean logic.
For me it's a ridiculous technology. Infact, it didn't have much success. And it doesn't save energy, because the motor keeps running even at no cooling capacity. For how little it consumes at no load, still consumes too much for zero cooling capacity. Resulting COP is 0.

superswill
28-04-2009, 09:18 PM
i have found them very reliable my only complaint i find them a little noisy

littleyapper
29-04-2009, 02:24 PM
thanks for explaination of digital.... as for savings as a stand alone i would agree but as part of a rack system they are ideal for smooth steps when ramping up or down in duty ....

nike123
29-04-2009, 09:03 PM
It's digital because it is either on or off, like the boolean logic.
For me it's a ridiculous technology. Infact, it didn't have much success. And it doesn't save energy, because the motor keeps running even at no cooling capacity. For how little it consumes at no load, still consumes too much for zero cooling capacity. Resulting COP is 0.

You still did not backed up your attitude with numbers or studies.
And that is repating:
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6546

I still waiting for your answer or you are still on holidays;):
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=129520&postcount=15

NoNickName
30-04-2009, 11:12 AM
I reckon that literature (not experience) is required to express public opinions on the forum.
I'll keep that in mind when other posters will express they point of view on "pump down or not to pump down"... I'll ask them the backing up literature. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm back from holidays, but no time to spare playing with you. cheers

nike123
30-04-2009, 12:23 PM
I reckon that literature (not experience) is required to express public opinions on the forum.
I'll keep that in mind when other posters will express they point of view on "pump down or not to pump down"... I'll ask them the backing up literature. Thanks for pointing that out.

This sound to me (text between lines) like you are offended by my previous post. If that is the case here, I could only say that i think, that you, as representative of other compressor manufacturer, should back up your attitude toward rival product by some numbers, studies, explanations, whatever in order to be more credible.
If you ask of us to be believers, than that is OK, but some of us don't takes things for grounded just because someone say something. And some of us are more skeptical when that comes from rival.

I'm back from holidays, but no time to spare playing with you. cheersSomehow that coincide with my expectations.

NoNickName
30-04-2009, 01:50 PM
My participation to this forum is personal and opinions expressed are my own. I'm not representative of anybody else than myself. Please keep it in mind.

I don't expect you to take any of my opinion as grounded. I think you shall have to use your brain, not mine.

Thermatech
30-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Digital scroll compressor
pumping = loaded
not pumping = unloaded
all the time not pumping = energy waisted

Inverter compressor
inverter circuit consumes energy = energy waised

Which system is more efficient ?

Digital scroll manufacturer maniputales data & spins information to make it look better than inverter system

Inverter system manufacturer spins information & manipulates data to make inverter system look the best

Each system has advantages & disadvantages
The only sure thing is that each manufacturer will never publish the disadvantage of their system but will always shout from the roof tops any slight advantage

What is really needed is a completely independant test of both types of system & unbiased publication of the performance data

Of course engineers who are not compentant with inverters are going to always tend to prefer a simple alternative which does not include complicated inverters

nike123
30-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Of course engineers who are not compentant with inverters are going to always tend to prefer a simple alternative which does not include complicated inverters

Also, some engineers love simplicity because that mean less parts which could be faulty and therefore much cheaper to maintain and repair, and have less tendency to failures which at end mean better product.