PDA

View Full Version : Bev-Air MT27 compressor problem

grouchyfungus
27-04-2009, 03:31 AM
Hello,
I have a Bev-Air MT27 with a Tecumseh compressor, model AEA3440YXA. I moved it, let it sit for about a month, and then turned it on. I noticed that the relay was loose and while it was running (comp was running), I very lightly touched the relay and it jiggled loose. The comp shut off for a split second and started running again. There was also a small arc at the relay-terminal point. I touched the relay again, it jiggled loose, and the comp shut off (didn't restart). I replaced the relay (and the overload just in case) and tried to start it again. It didn't start. Figured that I may have shorted the temp control so I jumped the temp control and the comp started and ran. So, I replaced the temp control. Now, the comp comes on for a brief 2-3 seconds and clicks off. Compressor won't stay running in order to cool. I have all new electrical parts so I don;t quite know what it is. If the comp was seized, why would it come on when I jump the temp control? The temp control is for this model and brand new. The relay is slightly smaller than the one I took off but is supposed to be the relay for this compressor. The unit does not have a start cap but should I attach one? I appreciate all the help.