PDA

View Full Version : fujitsu three way valve problems?

capthummel
25-04-2009, 07:02 AM
I have recently been installing Fujitsu pre charged units when vacuuming the system down some of the units release refrigerant when the valve is opened. Is this a common problem?

nike123
25-04-2009, 09:36 AM
It is normal for valve to release refrigerant when is opened.
It is not normal that it leaks at valve stem.
If later is the case, than put some leak-lock paste at valve stem cap and tighten the cap.

capthummel
25-04-2009, 10:58 AM
that being true why would some of the units on initail setup not release any refrigerant on valve opening and some do?

nike123
25-04-2009, 11:19 AM
that being true why would some of the units on initail setup not release any refrigerant on valve opening and some do?

It is still not clear about what are you talking.
About leaking valve stem or else?

capthummel
25-04-2009, 08:51 PM
it is releasing refrigerant into the copper when going to vacuum the system down for an install.

Brian_UK
25-04-2009, 09:49 PM
The pressure difference between no vacuum and some vacuum shouldn't make a valve leak unless the valve is faulty or not properly closed.

What symptoms are you getting that makes you think that refrigerant is leaking from the valve?

capthummel
28-04-2009, 08:22 AM
The pressure difference between no vacuum and some vacuum shouldn't make a valve leak unless the valve is faulty or not properly closed.

What symptoms are you getting that makes you think that refrigerant is leaking from the valve?

after connecting the copper pipe and preparing to pump the air out of the copper I have opened the valve on a few units that release refrigerant into the system. Upon pumping down I can not achieve negative pressure in the tubing along with allot of refrigerant being evacuated from the system. These units only have access to the low side of the system. Any thoughts?

sinewave
28-04-2009, 06:28 PM
We've had this on a few Fujitsu's. :mad:

They do have rather shyte valves.

I've had two units that when torquing up the 5/8ths pipe the valve has started to leak the pre-charge in to the system before it's been pressure tested or vacced.

I've also had a couple squirt R410a all over my hand whilst undoing the valve with the allen key.

This was quickly cured by a quick wind back in and out again, but it doesn't inspire confidence for a leak free system does it?

:rolleyes:

Mr.Ductless
28-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Why are you opening the valves before pulling a vacuum: "after connecting the copper pipe and preparing to pump the air out of the copper I have opened the valve on a few units that release refrigerant into the system"? I might not be understanding what you are describing here correctly, but it seems like you open the valves and than pull a vacuum.
These units have only one access port because you are already past the expansion valve (valve is inside the outdoor unit) and high and low side would have the same pressures.

moondawn
28-04-2009, 08:42 PM
if you are vacumming the system after pipeing it up, you should not be opening the service valve until a vacum is completed and then you can open the service valve(suction). you say it only has a service valve on the suction. then the other service valve ie liquid or discharge will be in the condensor where all the pre charge refrigerant is stored.
hope this helps

moondawn

capthummel
30-04-2009, 05:06 AM
Why are you opening the valves before pulling a vacuum: "after connecting the copper pipe and preparing to pump the air out of the copper I have opened the valve on a few units that release refrigerant into the system"? I might not be understanding what you are describing here correctly, but it seems like you open the valves and than pull a vacuum.
These units have only one access port because you are already past the expansion valve (valve is inside the outdoor unit) and high and low side would have the same pressures.

these are pre charged units and I am following correct vacuum procedure some units release some dont.

capthummel
30-04-2009, 05:07 AM
if you are vacumming the system after pipeing it up, you should not be opening the service valve until a vacum is completed and then you can open the service valve(suction). you say it only has a service valve on the suction. then the other service valve ie liquid or discharge will be in the condensor where all the pre charge refrigerant is stored.
hope this helps

moondawn
that is not what the factory instructions state.

capthummel
30-04-2009, 05:09 AM
We've had this on a few Fujitsu's. :mad:

They do have rather shyte valves.

I've had two units that when torquing up the 5/8ths pipe the valve has started to leak the pre-charge in to the system before it's been pressure tested or vacced.

I've also had a couple squirt R410a all over my hand whilst undoing the valve with the allen key.

This was quickly cured by a quick wind back in and out again, but it doesn't inspire confidence for a leak free system does it?

:rolleyes:
I have had four out of six unit do this to me very disturbing.

nike123
30-04-2009, 10:24 AM
that is not what the factory instructions state.

Did you or did you not opened 3-way (bigger one) and 2-way valve (smaller one) with hex key (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_wrench) after removing cap of valve stem before vacuum the unit?
Your answers are so confusing and this need to be cleared before further discusion.

capthummel
30-04-2009, 12:33 PM
yes the three way on the low side.

nike123
30-04-2009, 01:14 PM

When you opened three way on low side valve you released gas contained in outdoor unit prior to evacuating pipes and heat exchanger of indoor unit. That is not how it is described in instalation manual. In instalation manual it is stated that you need first to evacuate system before you open 3-way or 2-way valve.
You gaining access to evacuating pipes and indoor unit by simply connecting charging/evacuating hose with needle valve core depressor end to schrader valve with needle valve at 3-way valve without need to open valve with Allen key.
Only after evacuation of pipes and indoor unit you could open valve stem.

Check carefully your instalation instructions.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3604/3487930355_0b7587e0f6_o_d.png

nike123
30-04-2009, 01:47 PM

These which not released any refrigerant (if you acted as you described) are leaky one, and need to be both valves fully opened and leak and pressure tested, leak fixed, (if they are found leaking) leak tested again, evacuated and finally, charged with new refrigerant of weight amount stated at nameplate.

capthummel
30-04-2009, 06:31 PM
it has happened after copper was connected the hex key on the valve never touched and when I come back the next day to vacuum the lines there is refrigerant in the lines also the valve have released refrigerant on pump down immediately after connecting copper. Tightening the valve more has no effect still leaks. The outside unit has flared copper caps which to me kind of points to Fujitsu knowing about this problem. It has been down right iritating I am about to not install another fujitsu again. Any thoughts on who makes the best ductless machine?

nike123
30-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Question:

Did you or did you not opened 3-way (bigger one) and 2-way valve (smaller one) with hex key (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_wrench) after removing cap of valve stem before vacuum the unit?
Attachment 2857 (http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2857)

Answer:

Than new answer:

it has happened after copper was connected the hex key on the valve never touched

Could you, please, agree with yourself what did or did not you done, since every second answer is contradicting previous one. :eek:

capthummel
01-05-2009, 06:49 AM
Question:

Answer:

Than new answer:

Could you, please, agree with yourself what did or did not you done, since every second answer is contradicting previous one. :eek:
when I cracked the low side compression fitting as per instructions to check for proper vacuum pump operation. The three way valve was not oppend prior to this and was fully closed. The high side valve is also closed. I will begin pump down and refrgerant will release into the pump. I am just wondering if this is a big fujitsu flaw and what product is supior. I am not happy with installing a product that has flaws from the start.
Thank you for your time.

nike123
01-05-2009, 07:03 AM
when I cracked the low side compression fitting as per instructions to check for proper vacuum pump operation. The three way valve was not oppend prior to this and was fully closed. The high side valve is also closed. I will begin pump down and refrgerant will release into the pump. I am just wondering if this is a big fujitsu flaw and what product is supior. I am not happy with installing a product that has flaws from the start.
Thank you for your time.

Now you are talking clear. Yes, Fujitsu has this problems sometimes. In past that is not frequent, but lately it seems more often. Maybe that has to do with country of production of goods. What is your full model name?

For example:

If it is ASYA12LGC it is from Japan
and if it is ASYA12LGCC it is from China

capthummel
01-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Now you are talking clear. Yes, Fujitsu has this problems sometimes. In past that is not frequent, but lately it seems more often. Maybe that has to do with country of production of goods. What is your full model name?

For example:

If it is ASYA12LGC it is from Japan
and if it is ASYA12LGCC it is from China
I am not sure of the make I will check I have a few more to do in the next few weeks. Also I can check the model on the units I have installed. Has there been problems with one and not the other?

nike123
01-05-2009, 01:10 PM
I am not sure of the make I will check I have a few more to do in the next few weeks. Also I can check the model on the units I have installed. Has there been problems with one and not the other?

I did not found jet single one with that problem, regardless of origin, but some members of this forum are.
I personally installed more than 1500 of Fujitsu's in last 13 years but not much of them in last 3 years.
Reason is not Fujitsu, reason is changed scope of work.

kiwifridgie
06-05-2009, 09:17 AM
the fujitsu valves are a bit dodgy. just check the vacuum (on your gauges) dosn't climb once you've vacced. if it does you've been vaccing out the pre-charged refrigerant. so best you bill the warranty to fujitsu. they know the valves are sh*t but they pay the warranty to vac the entire system and weigh a new charge.