PDA

View Full Version : carrier 30HR 140 probs.

icecube51
24-04-2009, 05:07 PM
hey guys,

we finally have the old girl working again,but whit some difficulties.as i told before,it is an oldie from 1974 and being dormend for over 25years. whe did an nice job on the cooling tower,changed some plates,some welding,did a nice paint job inside and so on. now whe filled er up whit refrig ,normally 2 x 44.9KG. whe started her up, but on the 3# & 4# compressor,the second circuit, i can only put 16Kg of refrig an it starts to trip on lp & hp. i think there is a blockage of some sort in the condensor.
the hp= 18b , lp= 3,5b, leaving comp temp 96C°, leaving condensor temp is 32C°. the blockage, i think, is functioning like an expantionvalve,so the water is cooling in stead of warming in the condensor.is there anyone ho has the nowledge of deblokking something like that??? or have any ideas how to do it??

all tips welkom,even the stupid ones. :o

thnx, Ice

goshen
04-05-2009, 04:55 AM
hi use nitrogen. open pipes and follow the gas .a little old fashion but works

Brian_UK
04-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Are you asking about a blocked condenser on the chiller or a blockage in the cooling tower? sorry, I'm confused.

Magoo
05-05-2009, 01:13 AM
Hi Icecube 51.
The Carrier 30 HR was a fine old machine, check the water boxes for air trapping, the vessels had a pet **** valve on the side to check correct liquid levels, the sub cooling bundle at the bottom was encased in a sheetmetal shroud to max sub cooling. and possibly proned to clogging if a dirty system.
The outlet temp of 32'C seems high, if that is liquid temp. If water temp, very high, generally designed around 23 'C 27'C in and out. Check water boxes for blockages and correct circuiting, are you able to compare supply water pressures between condensers.
Ok dumb questions. Were you able to de-scale condenser tubes before re-commission, are the drier cores partially clogged. They were generally fitted with Sporlan TEV's , which had a habit of having leaking push rod seals, noted by sweating/ frozen external equalizer lines.
I am thinking outloud again.
magoo

US Iceman
05-05-2009, 02:34 AM
They were generally fitted with Sporlan TEV's , which had a habit of having leaking push rod seals, noted by sweating/ frozen external equalizer lines.

Now that is a comment people should remember. I've seen that too.

Great tip.

icecube51
12-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Hey Magoo,
i did check nearly all of the above, no air-pockets, the tower ,whe repaird and cleaned completely,including the filters on the waterline, the ingoing refrig (R22) temp at the condensor is 90C° and outcomming at 32C°.i opend and closed the TEV because i thought it was blockt.the circuit asks for 45Kg of R22, and i was only able to insert 15Kg,so thats wy the high temp on the HP point on the compressor.i don't think there is scale on the tubes,because of the total working years (4). morelikekely it is dirt,due to the fact it was out of commisioning for over 20 years.but it can not be only that.
the filter cores were replaced by me , 4 cores on each circuit, and no icing on the valves or equilizer-lines. played whit the valves so they will hunt and be re-regulated. no changes.

Ice

icecube51
12-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Hey Brian_UK,
its about the condensor,but i think the refrig line/tubes......the waterline is dirty, must be, after i was cleaning the filter,it came to me that if the filter is like this,how is the condenser than.....?

Ice

gregd1401
12-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Did you evacuate the system before recharging?

Tesla
13-08-2009, 04:33 AM
Icecube
Sorry I am still confused! I the proble on the water side or the refrig side? Does this HR have mufflers? I worked on a HR where the mufflers corroded away. And how fast do the safeties trip?

goshen
13-08-2009, 07:06 PM
hi like i said before if the blockage is in the gas side use nitrogen .
if it is in the water side open the condenser ( no other choice)and check the passes u might be surprised.;)