PDA

View Full Version : Hot shelf!?

timomer
24-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Hi,

I have a half hight combined fridge freezer (freezer to the left fridge on the right). Its approx coming up to 2 years old.

A few months ago the first shelf above the draw in the fridge is giving our heat on the sides, any food close to the sides will spoil. The issue is getting worse, i have cleaned and checked the unit and all seems fine. :confused:

I have no idea what to do and not sure if its worth calling anyone out. If any one has any suggestions I would love to hear them! :)

thanks!
-tim

icecube51
26-04-2009, 06:43 AM
did you check the amount of refrig in the unit?is the condensor nice clean and free of debri?is the ventilation in ordre?

Ice

Slatts
26-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Hi Tim. What's the replacement cost of your fridge?
What does your local fridge company charge to come out and look at it?
As you've cleaned it, I'd say you've done everything you're qualified to do.
Your next move is to either pay someone to help you decide weather to turf it or fix it, or just turf it with out getting it checked.
Unless you're in the trade?

EDIT: by the way, you might want to look at getting something with a 3 year extended warranty. it'll no doubt cost a bit more but should be money well spent.

timomer
27-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Hello Guys,

Thanks for your replies!

A replacement unit would be around £230. Call out is around £70, spoken to one engineer today and they said it sounds like a internal heater issue and will be very expensive :eek:

Would prefer to spend £70 on a replacement if i had to, looking at some second-hand on ebay for around £150, just need a man with a van ;)

Ice, if there is any way i can test what you suggested please say, as i would prefer to fix it as its not that old and seems like a waste to bin :(

thanks!
tim

chemi-cool
27-04-2009, 05:55 PM
From your description, I can make one assumption:

There is not enough polyurethane in the walls, or in other words, your fridge is f****d up.[defective]

You definitely have to go back to the manufacturer and replace it!! FOR FREE!!

brian m w
27-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi from what you are saying it sound like the insulation has gone. On the of chance have you a fast freeze switch??? some of them put a heater on in the fridge (its a winter thing) check that. If not i would call an engineer out and ask for a full report. Get in touch with consuma direct as you should be entitled to an exchange. I used to work for a company that used to do all the big makes and we used to have to authorise exchange even with no waranty (sale of goods act)

timomer
28-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Hi guys,

brian - your the man!

a few months ago noticed the switch by the light was off, i thought it controlled the freezer so turned it on thinking it had been knocked off. after your comment below about the "fast freeze switch" i looked at the manual to check what it did, its called a " low room temperature switch" and it says "no damage can be casused by leaving the switch in this position (on) for a period of time" - did not sound promosing, but thought i would turn it off and see what happens.

Hour later its fine! :D so pleased its working again as it would had been such a waste to bin!

Last two questions for you brian as im intrested...
1. do you belive that switch is faulty as why would it heat the fridge up!?
2. how can the sale of goods act cover me if it is out of waranty?

thanks everyone!
tim