PDA

View Full Version : refrigerated container

chemi-cool
31-05-2004, 03:36 PM
hi guys.

came across a 20 feet container freezer/fridge.

operates on R 12 or was. on the right hand there is a water cooled condenser with a receiver that had the sight glass welded ( a leak perhaps).
the unit uses a regular condenser now.

my question is: can I remove the water cooled condenser?
there is a hole at the side. or should I repair it?

does the unit need that small receiver or not?

there is a TEV in the system.

any comments, ideas, previos experiance, good looking blonds.
all welcome,

thanks
chemi

FLUMP
01-06-2004, 10:49 PM
Yo
I worked on alot of containers in uk its probably a carrier unit, with a optional water cooled condenser,this is when they are in the hold of the ship but most of them are not need now. I would check the condition of the air cooled condenser and make sure they are not going on any asian ships which sometimes are still in use. Cut it out and retrofit it with R409a or R409b making sure you weigh the amount in I have so many problems with high head pressure with this drop in's. Im not working on containers now but I did enjoy it get back to me how you get on and if you need any more help I will start asking questions if you use this foram again Hear from you soon :)

chemi-cool
02-06-2004, 04:42 AM
hi flump,

thanks, the only problem now is that optional water cooled condenser,
there is a hole there. its a friga-bohn can I just cut it and add a reciever instead?

havent decide yet what refrigerant to use.

chemi

Iankp
17-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Only recently joined the site and noticed this very old post. Answer is that yes you can remove the water cooled condenser providing that the unit is not likely to be shipped again.Would recommend fitting a receiver. Especially if running on R134A. From the description as Friga Bohn would reckon that it was a Sea Cold unit. They were very prone to extreme corrosion as mild steel in a marine environment. Doh!!!

Andy T
17-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Yoy should not use 134A to retro R12 system because R12 system has the wronge oil.Use R49

Iankp
22-05-2006, 02:59 PM
In the early days of retrofits within the container industries, a lot of the shipping lines had the reefer containers retrofitted to R134A by repeated oil changes and TXV change etc. It was notan ideal solution but there are still a lot of these conversions in service. R49 was never approved for use in shipping containers by ISO. Only R409A and R134A as a retrofit. Due to wanting to reduce the number of refrigerants carried on board vessels. It wasn't ideal but something the we had to live with.

Iankp
22-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Sorry just realised original post says running on R12. In which case R49 if used on a domestic basis rather than shipped would be acceptable.

kellyfreeze
08-12-2009, 09:53 PM
hey guys first time post when on yesturday and somebody help me with mitsubishi problem. i fixed today all is well thanks for the info great site.

Brian_UK
08-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Kelly, it might help if you posted a thanks to whoever it was that helped you instead of tagging on the end of a 3 to 5 year old thread.