PDA

View Full Version : 600w inverter powerful enough??

polly
16-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Hi, I have a coffee van and am trying to run 2x75w fridges (small stella beer/wine cooler type) from a 600w inverter.
When I plug one fridge in, the green power light comes on OK, the inverter beeps for a millisecond while the power surges from the fridge thermostat and then all seems to run OK until the thermostat tries to kick in again when the red alarm light comes on & the alarm bleeps.
I have to switch off the inverter, wait a few seconds and re-start. It never gets any further than that any time and of course the fridge never gets cold 'cos I have to keep unplugging.
When I try to plug in the 2nd fridge the alarm light comes on and the beeper goes off immediately.
It is a brand new and fully charged battery. Both fridges are brand new & work fine from the mains. Brand new inverter too. The inverter is not soft start (whatever that means) and has peak power of 1200watts.
Anyone tell me what I am doing wrong please as I need these fridges to work!! to earn money.
All help & advice gratefully accepted
Thanks Polly

Brian_UK
16-04-2009, 11:39 PM
A soft start inverter may get you over the problem of starting the compressor motors.

What is probably happening is the after the first start the battery voltage is too low to provide the power to run the surge at start up.

Mind you, I'm no expert on these things.

cu2chat
20-02-2010, 11:24 PM
You would need a seperate Battery system to supply power to inverter for those loads assuming normal van electrics, power drain on standard 12vdc system

Toosh
21-02-2010, 12:48 AM
Hi, I have a coffee van and am trying to run 2x75w fridges (small stella beer/wine cooler type) from a 600w inverter.
When I plug one fridge in, the green power light comes on OK, the inverter beeps for a millisecond while the power surges from the fridge thermostat and then all seems to run OK until the thermostat tries to kick in again when the red alarm light comes on & the alarm bleeps.
I have to switch off the inverter, wait a few seconds and re-start. It never gets any further than that any time and of course the fridge never gets cold 'cos I have to keep unplugging.
When I try to plug in the 2nd fridge the alarm light comes on and the beeper goes off immediately.
It is a brand new and fully charged battery. Both fridges are brand new & work fine from the mains. Brand new inverter too. The inverter is not soft start (whatever that means) and has peak power of 1200watts.
Anyone tell me what I am doing wrong please as I need these fridges to work!! to earn money.
All help & advice gratefully accepted
Thanks Polly

Hi Polly, Read this

http://www.panelectron.hu/webshop/sine_wave_inverter_faq.html

Toosh

NoNickName
21-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Car inverters running on gel batteries are not able to supply the sufficient inrush current to withstand the motor starting.
You might have to oversize the inverter to get enough inrush current.