PDA

View Full Version : refrigerants in Europe

Randy S.
12-05-2001, 05:21 AM
I keep hearing that 134A is on its way out in Europe.
And that the replacement is a hydrocarbon.

Any truth to that or is it yet another rumor???

Derek
15-05-2001, 09:09 AM
R134a (watch those unsymetric isomers) is still used in a number of domestics but hydrocarbons are popular with a number of manufacturers. This follows the move to reduce HFC emissions and projected HFC bans in some European countries.

Charge weights are typically below 200gm as you need less mass compared to R134a so the risk is 'minimal' (see ASERCOM conference papers on hydrocarbons and risk analsyis)

The cyclopentane blown foam used in new domestics to my mind presents the biggest risk

The revised European Standard EN 378 covers the maximum charge weights which go up to 25kg for 'special' plant rooms.

You can get the HC Guidelines from www.acrib.org.uk or www.ior.org.uk

Any refrigerant is only as safe as the person handling it!

Dan
26-05-2001, 01:36 PM
I read somewhere that Coca Cola was instructing their equipment suppliers to use hydrocarbons in self-contained equipment. Would that be a "Global Warming" consideration?

Dan

Dan
26-05-2001, 01:57 PM
Just revisiting earlier posts. Derek, why does cyclopentane appear to cause the greatest risk?

Dan

Derek
27-05-2001, 07:29 PM
Saw a couple burn, they go really well. I assume European Manufacturers put some retardent in them but a insulation fire on a production line is a panic to behold.

Derek
27-05-2001, 07:33 PM
Sorry dan should read the earlier stuff.

Cola Stuff

I think you will find Greenpeace did a compendable number on them at the Oz Olympics (see their web page if its still there).

Having just seen what it does to kids teeth I suggest a ban on Cola (no only joking).