PDA

View Full Version : Hvac design

ankur
09-04-2009, 03:32 PM
:)Hello everybody,

I am trying to design an air conditionimng system for an off-highway vehicle. I have Started by calculating cooling load and it has come out to be roughly 750 watts for the cabin. Now can somebody please guide me how to select the other components of the system, such as compressor, evaporator, expansion valve Etc on the basis of this cooling load.....

Thanx
Ankur

abbsnowman
09-04-2009, 04:21 PM
What you need to do next is find a mount kit for the compressor to be attached to the engine. This will likely be your biggest challange.
I have done lots of these and therfore have allot of questions like were do you intend on putting componants. You will have to be carefull not to comprimise the ROPS (roll over protection system) and other things.
12 volt or 24?

ankur
10-04-2009, 03:20 PM
That will be decided by my structure team. but i need to select a compressor and other components. tell me how to do that.

DTKServices
10-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Companies like Red Dot, Kysor and CTK all build "put together kits" for specific applications, including mount drive brackets, condensers and in dash evaps. Or if you like universal self contained evaps boxes. Or you can custom build one for your specific needs.

I know your trying to go about determining your capacity needs the "correct" way, but often time especially in a "Custom" situation your best option is to get some catalogs and look through them to see what is offered for your application.

There isn't a need to reinvent the wheel if you don't have to.

Things to consider outside of capacity needs. Compressor location, System voltage, Belt configuration, available space for the condenser (Size thickness, type of air flow and shape) condenser mounting, How your going to route your lines/wiring, You have to keep away from moving parts and exhaust, This will also determine the length of the lines needed, evap location in the cab, dust conditions, humidity, and drainage.

Once you have considered all of these factors, I'd look in a "Off road A/C Catalog" and then determine what you need or can fit into your application/budget..

As far as your original question about which compressor to use you have to know what type of mount drive kit your using this will determine your compressor (York/sanden or seltec) Also know that fabricating your own mount drive usually results in belt problems especially if your trying to tap into a serpentine system.

abbsnowman
11-04-2009, 05:33 AM
Well put DTK.