PDA

View Full Version : Backing data to a remote server

Abe
05-04-2009, 08:36 AM
If anyone can assist with info. Want to back up data to a remote server in case of hard disk failure.

Does anyone know of either cheap sources or free places

Thx

nike123
05-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Here (http://www.mediafire.com/) you could backup unlimited number of files until they are smaller than 100MB individually for free.
You could make one big RAR archive off bigger files and then split archive to chunks of 100MB, like on Rapidshare is practice.
Or, you could go for Pro mode and upload unlimited number of files and file size is then limited to 2GB

retrof
29-04-2009, 11:08 PM
If anyone can assist with info. Want to back up data to a remote server in case of hard disk failure.

Thx

Abe, there is a product by means of Mozy (dot) com

2 gig free or unlimited home use for $5 US/month

If you have need for more space the external hard drives made today are quite inexpensive and very useful.

Cheers

frank
30-04-2009, 07:52 PM
A separate hard drive (external, USB connection) is the way to go Abe, or install a RAID controller and second hard drive.

Controlguy
09-05-2009, 10:37 AM
yes , external hard drive or usb stick , if you dont plan on editing anymore of the program just burn a CD ( good quality data rated type ) some cheepies have been known to fail after a couple of years , second hard drive is ok but have seen a mother board fail and nuke both internal hard drives , stuff can always be recovered but can be a hassle.

assidly09
05-12-2009, 06:13 PM
I dont like my isp even knowing the data I am transferring, can anyone help?

taz24
06-12-2009, 12:50 AM

Thx

I use removeable / portable hard drives that only cost about £30 to £50 for 100's of gigabytes.

I also use google email account and send myself an email with the file attached and that backs it up.

Cheers taz.

gonefishing
06-12-2009, 05:26 PM
An external hard drive is your best bet. I have an ftp and
remote server for file access on the road, but I back everything
up on external drives. Remote servers crash also......

A good remote is small nowdays, an cost is reasonable.

GF

DEVIL
07-12-2009, 10:46 AM
I could offer my services for free on my company server, but i don't have a very large bandwidth.

And i would recommend external hard-drive it's easy and u can always have it at hand