PDA

View Full Version : Refcom

El Padre
01-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Hi Folks,

I spoke to REFCOM earlier regarding the mandatory registration scheme, they are awaiting the go ahead from DEFRA but when in place we will have to register engineers details, company details etc. and will cost £140 for three years registration(2079) or around £100 to register up to July 2011(2078).

Having contemplated joining their voluntary scheme, it seems to be a vast improvement, cheaper and no inspections etc.

Cheers

R1976
02-04-2009, 09:27 AM
I have just read an advert in ACR news that informs that every company has to register by July!

When did all this happen, it seems a bit sudden, now we will all be members of Refcom.

Refcom££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

tmm
07-06-2009, 07:12 AM
To All, Registration for companies is MANDATORY as defined within the F Gas Regulations. I too saw the article in RAC News and have spent some degree of time with f-gas support.
Whilst REFCOM are the 'preferred' operator of the scheme they are no longer alone with others being described as 'expressing interest'.
REFCOM still seem however to be pushing for an audit- which is not defined in the act- but may be adopted by DEFRA.
I have submitted a short report to RAC magazine so if they publish the same it might prove additionally helpful.
In summary at this stage nobody has been appointed by DEFRA therefore we cannot register!
Hope this helps. tmm

Argus
07-06-2009, 09:54 AM

Gentlemen,

The Fluorinated Gases Regulation (F Gases) EC 842 / 2006 came out, as its title implies, in 2006 and was the subject of on going debate for at least 3 years prior to that.

If you use the RE site search, there have been numerous posts in this site over the years and all the UK trade comics have written about it ad nauseam.

Regrettably, the UK government, via the combined efforts of DEFRA and BERR, has been intent on spending the maximum effort to provide the minimum transit to a smooth adoption of the mandatory requirements and some of the implementation deadlines have slipped.

F Gas support is a government-funded information centre and while it provides some useful information, it is not empowered to do the government's work for it - i.e. - provide a timely and effective mechanism for company compliance.

Whatever happens, basic REFCOM company registration is comparatively cheap. The real costs are in the maintenance and audit of records.
I should add that I think that other registration providers are in the mix mainly through the government's desire to avoid being seen to create a monopoly or Quango as far as REFCOM are concerned.

At the same time that you are looking at F Gases, don't take your eye of the ball with regard to the ODS regulations.

multisync
07-06-2009, 03:23 PM
It's a complete mess. July 4th is less than a month away and the set up is no where near ready. REFCOM were the only company at the time who were willing to take the task on board but it was obvious that they did not nor do not nor likely too in the near future, have the infrastructure to cope with the huge increase in companies onto their database.

Others have been coerced to tender but reluctantly as they probably know this is a poisoned chalice.

This combined with the previous mention of legal to sell, not legal to buy eff up will render this a very British **** up

It could take another 3-5 years before this scheme actually works

old gas bottle
07-06-2009, 03:51 PM
i too went to a seminar to ask when we could register with refcom but as they have not got the contract yet whats the point,in fact they surley cant leagaly accept monnies untill they have.:eek:

the other mind blowing answer i got was that there is no effective policing body as yet for malpractices,the enviroment agency has washed its hands of it and apparently its down to local goverment officers to enforce it but they are not trained yet to carry this out.:confused:

also none qualified personal will still be able to purchase refrigerant gases as the goverment do not want to breach any consumer rights.

so in short at this point in time and the near future its a case of, WHAT A FOOKING MESS.:mad:

hyperion
07-06-2009, 07:59 PM
I contacted Refcom on Friday and was advised that the registration system, whatever it is to be has not been decided on by Defra. However, Refcom mentioned that those companies that are already registered with them will still have to apply for registration with the new scheme.
Also that it is likely that the audit requirements of the new scheme will be less onerous than the existing Refcom scheme, as Defra does not want to be seen to be preventing freedom of enterprise.
Upon enquiring of our local HRP with regards their responsibility for checking registration documents before selling "F-gas", there was considerable uncertainty as to what may be required of them as they had not received any guidance.
Once again it seems as everything will be left to the last minute and confusion will abound.

frank
08-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Did anyone register an interest with REFCOM at the RAC2009?

We did, duely filled out a form and then sat back and waited for them to contact us, as was promised by the nice people on the stand.

So far, no contact. I suppose we will have to register all over again now. :mad: Not much time though.....it's nearly 4th July.

Argus
11-06-2009, 07:37 PM

This link to ACRIB's site will answer a few questions.

I should point out that this topic and the link has UK relevance ONLY.

http://www.acrib.org.uk/NOGH6712012

yinmorrison
11-06-2009, 08:51 PM
I just received an e-mail from acrib Argus so that is spot on.
You also need to have a Waste Handling Certificate for Refcom Membership as I discovered when renewing last year although maybe I should have had it anyway!
I think the cost was about £120 from memory and lasts 3 years , at least that is in Scotland via SEPA maybe doesnt apply down South.
I also had to purchase Refcom Refrigerant management software but cant remember if that was mandatory or not, it might have been back in 2007 when the HVCA set up Refcom.

yinmorrison
11-06-2009, 10:02 PM
I forgot I had this from Refcom which might be of interest.

Brian_UK
11-06-2009, 10:24 PM
^ Nice fee structure.

yinmorrison
11-06-2009, 11:12 PM
aye as usual these things always go up:rolleyes:

Samwitch
12-06-2009, 03:35 PM
The information for the interim certification has been set out on refcom's website or on ACR news' website

Only 21 days to go :eek:

hyperion
12-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Received the notification from IOR today. Time to fill in the forms and spend the cash.

neil
12-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Latest thoughts are that DEFRA will grant a short-term amnesty to companies unable to register in time.
With just 3 weeks to the registration deadline of July 4 and an estimated 5,000 companies needing to register this would appear to be the only sensible solution – but get those registrations in asap.

old gas bottle
17-06-2009, 04:21 PM
done.;)for all the good it will do.:mad:

Andy W
17-06-2009, 05:16 PM
I need to wait until I receive my 2079.