PDA

View Full Version : VRV R22 Replacement

borodave1973
31-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Hi Has anyone used a drop in replacement for R22 in a VRV system? Such as R417a? Thanks for any help.

nike123
31-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Why if you still have available R22?

borodave1973
31-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Because it is being ohased out at the end of the year and we want to future proof the systems.

Argus
31-03-2009, 05:21 PM

R417A was originally blended by RHODIA and marketed as ISCEON RX 59, an R22 replacement, suitable for a straight drop-in without changing the mineral oil. It was aimed at the split air-con market. It has been around for 15 years or so and despite the horror stories, I expect that there are numerous installations where this exchange has been carried out quite successfully. R 417A is its ASHRAE refrigerant number.

There are two places to go where I would expect advice: the first are the original manufacturers who must be aware of the legal trends in the EU, secondly the original marketer of the blend. Why not contact RHODIA in the UK?

That said, VRF manufacturers are notoriously conservative about approving (or disapproving) field changes, but they have a duty, I believe, to offer suggestions to this particular problem. In the current market climate, I would, personally, not take 'don't know' as an answer.

Prince Vaillant
01-04-2009, 11:00 AM
DuPont™ ISCEON® MO29 (R422D)

DuPontTM ISCEON® MO29 (R422D) is an easy to use, non-ozone depleting HFC refrigerant blend of R125, R134a and R600a.
ISCEON® MO29 is used to replace R22 in a wide variety of high, medium and low temperature refrigeration applications as well as air conditioning and water chiller systems.
It has also been used in new equipment and selected ‘flooded' applications.
ISCEON® MO29 is a close match to R22 in terms of capacity and efficiency in most systems, but with a significantly lower discharge temperature which may prolong life of the compressor.

ISCEON® MO29 is compatible with traditional and new lubricants, providing easy, quick, cost effective retrofits and can be topped up during service without removing the entire refrigerant charge.

As ISCEON® MO29 is a blend it should always be removed from the cylinder as a liquid when charging a system.

puddleboy3
01-04-2009, 07:30 PM
about 8 months ago we re-charged an R22 VRV+ system with R417a. No problems to date and running sweet.

puddleboy3
01-04-2009, 07:36 PM
[B]
ISCEON® MO29 is compatible with traditional and new lubricants, providing easy, quick, cost effective retrofits and can be topped up during service without removing the entire refrigerant charge.

As ISCEON® MO29 is a blend it should always be removed from the cylinder as a liquid when charging a system.

If you have to charge in liquid state, how would it be possible to top up during service? Surely you would only be topping up in the event of a leak so I would imagine you would have lost more of one blend than the other?