PDA

View Full Version : York Chiller evap water flow direction

mechillers
30-03-2009, 03:54 PM
I have a York YK chiller that has had chilled water lines piped around wrong way, traditionally return water from field enters evaporator at bottom of evaporater travels along bottom half tubes flooded with liquid refrigerant and as such heat is transfered, With leaving ch water out at top (2pass).
I am told by experts that effciency of chiller will be only marginally effected, but my concern is stability of gas entering impeller causing stall or surge??, centrifugal compressors are selected for certain flow rates and as such would rely on correct rate of evaporation as per evap design.
I beleive with warm water entering at top tubes will cause massive boiling effect (more than usual), can any boffins out there give me some facts and figures that I can use to substanciate or discredit my theroy

chemi-cool
30-03-2009, 04:12 PM
On every water chiller I have seen so far, there are two small signs: IN and OUT

Without it I always connect the water flow against refrigerant flow.

Can you post the specific model?

yorkie10
30-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi mechillers, can you give full model no., embedded within this no. is the cooler code, if that code is CB,CC,CD,CE,DB,DC,DD,DE then your current connection is right, (as per the IOM)

mechillers
30-03-2009, 04:53 PM
correct in and out direction arrows is there but unfortuntely it has not been piped accordingly, model is YK have not got cooler codes, this is a flooded evap with entry point of liquid entering at bottom middle of evap

mechillers
30-03-2009, 04:56 PM
IOM states that return chilled water enters evap at bottom connection and leaving chilled water out top of evap, I have opposite to this

yorkie10
30-03-2009, 05:03 PM
my apologies, mis interpreted your first post, (brain not engaging with eyes)

mechillers
30-03-2009, 05:37 PM
thanks anyway