PDA

View Full Version : Newby manifold/gauge quiery

lees8110
29-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Hello all,
I am new to this forum and also reasonably newish to the refrigeration engineering world, so please excuse my lack of know!

I just have a quick question: I have recently just aquired a new set of gauges that only have hi and low valves on the manifold and only three hose inlets (hi,low and ref) as apposed to the four valves and four hoses gauges/manifolds (hi,low,ref and vac) I have been previously using.
Now I am just curious as to how to vac a sytem without the vac line, would I use the ref line as I am aware this has a narrower bore as to what the vac line has?
Thanks in advance to any response given.
Cheers Lee

Grizzly
29-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Hello all,
I am new to this forum and also reasonably newish to the refrigeration engineering world, so please excuse my lack of know!

I just have a quick question: I have recently just acquired a new set of gauges that only have hi and low valves on the manifold and only three hose inlets (hi,low and ref) as apposed to the four valves and four hoses gauges/manifolds (hi,low,ref and vac) I have been previously using.
Now I am just curious as to how to vac a sytem without the vac line, would I use the ref line as I am aware this has a narrower bore as to what the vac line has?
Thanks in advance to any response given.
Cheers Lee

Hi Lee
Your observation is correct. But if you think about it even on a 5 port set of gauges.
You still use one or more of the 1/4" ports.
Fit a 1/4" female to 3/8" male fitting to the centre port and use 3/8" lines.
The trick is to use the largest practicable size lines And wherever you can minimise restrictions throughout.
I hope this helps Grizzly

lees8110
29-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks Grizzly for you reply, I will do as you say, now I have confirmation I can carry it out with the gauges I have aquired.