PDA

View Full Version : Daikin A/c Interconnecting cable

Mog8
27-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Iam installing two FTXS60 wall mount units and also 70. I have most of the specifications needed to start the job from searching on the internet but can not find the size of the interconnecting cable needed. I assumed that 4 core 1.5mm flex would be ok but have been told that i might need 2.5mm. Can anybody help? Thanks.

Suffolk Fridge
27-03-2009, 07:59 PM
4 core 1.5mm is fine for interconnecting.

Debonair Spain
27-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Hi Mog8 to be on the safe side i would use 2.5 and also make sure that the cable is armoured or LSX.

Suffolk Fridge
27-03-2009, 08:46 PM
the interconnecting is only powering the indoor fan motor and pcb etc not the condensing unit. 2.5mm is overkill but will not do any harm. if you want to protect it, then sy cable is perfect.

R1976
29-03-2009, 07:42 PM
SY cable is not suitable for installation in an outdoor environment as it is not UV stable. I have seen a few jobs where a consultant has made the installers take it out. After a few years the outer sheath becomes brittle and eventualy breaks down and rusts the armour, I don't know why ac suppliers advertise it so much.

2.5 cable is often specified by a manufacturer for interconnecting cable as it is linked off the incoming power inside the unit and is therefore protected by the MCB.

marc5180
29-03-2009, 07:58 PM
SY cable is not suitable for installation in an outdoor environment as it is not UV stable. I have seen a few jobs where a consultant has made the installers take it out. After a few years the outer sheath becomes brittle and eventualy breaks down and rusts the armour, I don't know why ac suppliers advertise it so much.
We always use SY cable on installations and have done for many years, what cable should we be using instead then?

R1976
29-03-2009, 10:36 PM
We use Steel Wired Armoured.:cool:

Suffolk Fridge
30-03-2009, 06:46 PM
swa? blimey.

R1976
30-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Yes, I know SWA is a bugger to work with but it complies with regs and I can earth the armour fairly easily with a gland on the unit or isolator. I would love to use SY but since I found out its spec I can't, due to my integrity:D.

If anyone knows the regs better then perhaps they could advise on a decent cable. I have seen some installations with a double sheathed flex.

gwilliamson
30-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Late last year i was undergoing our yearly inspection for one of the electrical schemes and the chap was inspecting an air conditioning install in a house.
He specifiacally asked me why i had used SWA as the interconnect cable?
His explanation to this was you should only use SWA cable if you feel the installation requires additional protection.
Therefore on installations where there is no risk of mechnacial damge ie the condensor & pipe work mounted on a wall then a suitable weather resiatant flex is fine.. Straight from the horses mouth!!

Greengrocer
31-03-2009, 01:08 PM
We often use Envirotuff cable (from Greenmills). Double sheathed with impact PVC resistant outer sheath. Can be used with std stuffing glands and suitable for outdoor use - where permissable (e.g.above ground only).
Advertised as a time & cost saving alternative to SWA. Available in 1.5, 2.5,4.0 & 6.0mm2 & with 3,4,5 or 7 cores. Black sheathing looks neater than white flex & we also use black braided condensate tubing so the whole interconnecting run is in black.
We also use it for main cable as well.